Discussion » Questions » History » Grabbing land through Immigration. Has anone ever succeded in doing that ?

Grabbing land through Immigration. Has anone ever succeded in doing that ?

I read an article about how Al-Qaeda's purpose with 9/11 was to "take over the US"
I have heard (read rather. on forums like this) that Mexico is trying the same thing with the immigrants illegally entering the US.

So I did a google search, but the closest i found was a story about the US government expropriating land along the Rio Grande to build a fence on. http://www.fff.org/2008/02/19/immigration-land-grab-border/ But are they actually doing that? It is Trump's baby, and Obama still hold the reins.

So the question is still open, Have anyone actually succeeded with such a strategy ?

Posted - December 19, 2016

Responses

You read an article, huh?

Well guess what? By the very nature of what this country is based on, all are welcome here.  IF they take over?  What are they taking?  Are they going to move into your home and take it?

If not, then they should be welcomed and if you have to deal with different cultures in your backyard, then welcome to the future.  The world, because of the vast over-population problem is actually quite small after all.   We need to open our doors and open our minds and stop trying to say NO all the time.  If Mexico moves in here then we also move down there and unify.  There is a ton worth exploring in Mexico and the price of things is CHEAP so it works both ways my friend.  "You can try to shut yourself in, but you cannot forever shut the world OUT . "  JRR Tolkien.
      December 19, 2016 11:43 AM MST

I mostly agree with you, but my question is another: Do you know of an instance where such a strategy actually worked ?
      December 19, 2016 12:05 PM MST

• Most of the nations that exist today were formed by this very thing in one way or another.
      December 19, 2016 11:50 AM MST

didn't we take land from the Indians? This post was edited by TomThumb at January 15, 2018 9:23 AM MST
      December 19, 2016 12:03 PM MST

• Yep.
      December 19, 2016 12:35 PM MST

• As Evil Pink Bunny said yes, loads of times, many of the  settlements we know today were where a bunch of people, or people's invaded and settled... America certainly is, ditto Canada, Australia, New Zealand... The UK has been invaded a fair few times by Germanic, French and of course Romans.  It tends to be less successful now as we are all so much more aware of what's happening in the world and there is generally outrage when that happens...

As to comments about Mexicans *invading* and taking over the land, and Muslims plot to wipe out the UK by sheer numbers... that's nothing more than paranoia.. yes settlements change in response to particularly high numbers of immigrants but it's not the same as being taken over.

It can affect politics tho... I have no proof and could be entirely wrong but it was my theory that London did NOT vote Brexit because actually the majority who live in London now are non-natives... so their inclination would be to vote Bremain. As I say  i have no proof of that it's just personal opinion
      December 19, 2016 12:04 PM MST

I agree, a lot of 'primitive' people have been pushed aside by immigrants (and sometimes even hunted down) by 'civilized' immigrants. But I mostly do not see it as a deliberate strategy. more like an incidental side effect of colonisation.
    As an example the Escimo population in Greenland suffered from huge alcohol drinking problems for many years, it has been a tremendous struggle to handle that (but it is a bit better now, thankfully).
      December 19, 2016 12:47 PM MST

• British is a great example.   How much actual Brittonic culture, language, and blood actually defines British national identity?   How much is Norse, French, and Anglo-Saxon?

Germany is another example.  There is no German ethnicity.  As there is little actual blood or traditional culture tie between say a Bavarian, Prussian, and Frisian.  Except some  language and mythology similarities.   There really is no "German".  The idea of a "German" nation and identity came from Roman invasion and domination of the Germanic tribes and nations.

December 19, 2016 12:47 PM MST

• Thank you.
      December 19, 2016 12:51 PM MST

• Shucks...  It wasn't much.
      December 19, 2016 1:12 PM MST

• We are told that the celts were native, and in theory they still exist, but watered down, as we all are here.. and who knows, maybe the celts invaded from elsewhere..
      December 19, 2016 12:52 PM MST

• The Celtic tribes inhabited France, parts of modern Germany, Spain,  even some modern Slavic nations.   The Brittons and Picts were also on mainland Europe at one time.

Wales and Cornwall are the last hold outs I guess.
      December 19, 2016 1:12 PM MST

• And Scotland and Ireland - very possibly they were *invaders* too.. the Celts I mean.. it would make sense
      December 19, 2016 1:30 PM MST

• Oh for sure.  Celts is similar to Germanic.   There were various Celtic tribes and groups.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Celtic_tribes
      December 19, 2016 1:36 PM MST

I would tend to doubt that theory. Isnt most of the non-Brits in Britain from the former colonies (India, Africa, ...) none of which have close ties to the other countries making up the European Union.

Apart from that I tend to agree.
      December 19, 2016 1:20 PM MST

• what theory are you doubting? Yes, it's true we have a lot of immigrants here.. migrants? MANY are from the EU, indeed they are perhaps now the majority, or certainly high up there.. we have many, many, many Polish, indeed a town near me is almost entirely Polish now...we also have Romanians, Hungarians, Checs, etc .. so many EU... but i think i get your point - you are talking about the theory of why London voted Bremain?  Well a fair few ex colony people come in through SPain and France and Germany - it's comparitively easy to get citzenship in France, SPain etc. Dont forget that Britain wasnt the only country with an empire.. many Africans speak French....   then they have an easier route in here.. but also...Brexit wasn't just about stopping EU members from having access to the OPen Door - it was about controlling immigration full stop.. so that would affect people from India and Africa and even countries like Pakistan.
      December 19, 2016 1:35 PM MST

Yes, what I was questioning was the implication that non-natives would have cause to vote against BRexit.

And frankly I find the success of the BRexit movement a lot more understandable if BRexit is largely a 'keep out the immigrants' movement.
      December 21, 2016 11:24 AM MST

• Nothing is as simple as it seems... the Bremainers like to portray the Brexiters as uneducated masses who were illogically and insanely anti immigration.. that was only a minority... and it certainly wasnt why I voted Brexit.. for me, and many others it was the illogical dictats and dictatorship style of the EU. always telling us what to do, what not to do... They forced us to buy EU milk while our farmers poured milk down the drain blah blah and so on.. Rather then free trade they restricted who else we could trade with...  Immigration was part but in all we got a raw deal from the EU.. we gave way, way, way more than we took and while its all very admirable to support poorer EU countries we need to look after our own...
      December 21, 2016 1:42 PM MST