Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
my2cents
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » Is it possible I'm being discriminated when Im going for jobs cause I'm 4ft5?

Is it possible I'm being discriminated when Im going for jobs cause I'm 4ft5?

All my life I've found it hard to get employed, not just employed but find it hard to even find friends to hang out with. I went on a job interview with tutor doc about a wk and a half ago, she seemed so interested in me while she was emailing me but then after i saw her in person, i never heard from her again. so is this possible? I might go for ssi under being a dwarf, i heard you can get it for that reason alone.

Posted - December 19, 2016

Responses

• It is very possible, and since you have noticed as much as you have, it's probable. There are a hell of a lot of judgmental people out there in the world, that don't have their priorities right.
     Good luck to you, pearl. May you  find the right compassionate employer........and friends.....and the list goes on.
      December 19, 2016 9:40 PM MST

Have you been diagnosed as having dwarfism?  If so, i guess it's possible you could qualify for SSI. But it's also possible your height doesn't have anything to do with it. 
      December 20, 2016 1:44 AM MST

no but everyone treats me like one
      December 21, 2016 3:15 PM MST

Unless you've been diagnosed as having the condition, why would you think Social Security would pay benefits to you due to dwarfism?  

Maybe you aren't getting hired for other reasons. Perhaps you aren't qualified for the positions you're applying for, others interviewing are more qualified than you are or maybe it has to do with how you present yourself, how you answer the interviewer's questions, or how you conduct yourself. It's hard to say which it might be. Maybe if you give us examples of the questions asked and the answers you've given, it might help. Also, how do you dress when going to interviews, do you show up on time, do you ask questions of them,  do you research the company and understand the services or products they sell?  There are so many reasons why employers choose specific candidates for employment. 
      December 22, 2016 2:37 AM MST

You would have to prove it, that's the short of it, no pun intended.
      December 20, 2016 1:27 PM MST

It's possible, but it's also possible that you need to improve your interviewing skills. I have worked with people your height, so I know that there are jobs out there for you.
      December 20, 2016 2:59 PM MST

• I agree with JaneS. My recommendation is to find someone that can video a mock interview with you. Unfortunately to some, you need to compensate for any negative perceptions and be totally on top of your game. I knew a woman who was c-level who wasn't much taller than you.
      December 21, 2016 12:42 PM MST

There could be numerous reasons why you aren't being hired for a job. It's really hard to say, since I don't know the type of job you are applying for.  Good luck Pearl.
      December 21, 2016 4:05 PM MST

You only quality for SS/SSI if you can prove that you cannot made $xxx per month (I don't know what the amount is currently...it was $800 about 8 yrs ago) and that the reason you cannot make that minimum amount is because of either a mental or physical disability. 
      January 1, 2017 8:49 PM MST