Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Do you consume NEWS, or CONSPIRACY THEORY???

Do you consume NEWS, or CONSPIRACY THEORY???

Hello:

One of my workers KNOWS, absolutely beyond any doubt, that Sandy Hook was a HOAX, and that the grieving parents were ACTORS..  She says it was perpetrated by Obama so he could round up guns..  I can't argue with her.  I try, but she's CONVINCED. 

Do YOU believe anything that SOME are calling a conspiracy theory??  

excon

Posted - December 20, 2016

Responses

Those are called Trump voters.  They are LEGION for they are Many.
      December 20, 2016 8:48 AM MST

it sounds like something he would do, but more likely crying libs.
      December 20, 2016 9:06 AM MST

Oh.    I see. Is this your idea of being fair and balanced now?

I think you and I should consume a nice lunch and forget about talking politics. 
      December 20, 2016 10:20 AM MST

I just don't fully trust anything. There is no reliable source of information in this world. We're just bathed in propaganda by thousands of competing interests and people make innocent mistakes.

I consider a lot of things inconclusive. I neither believe nor disbelieve a lot of what I hear. I ask myself the following questions.

Who stands to gain from deceiving me?
    Who stand to gain from informing me?
    Who has a track record of honesty? (Hint: It's not mainstream media.)
    Who has a track record of accurately predicting the future? (For example the scope of mass surveillance was a conspiracy theory until Snowden blew it wide open. Now it's a fact. The people who asserted mass surveillance was happening pre Snowden now deserve to be taken more seriously.)

This post was edited by Zeitgeist at December 20, 2016 9:53 AM MST
      December 20, 2016 9:31 AM MST

Hello again, T:

Having gotten to know you somewhat, it's clear that you believe every word you wrote..  I, however, believe NONE of it - not a word

Let's take science as an example..  In my experience, people DON'T become scientists for POLITICAL reasons.  I think, you think they DO.  In MY experience, people become scientists for the sake of SCIENCE.  I note, however, that your distrust of science is somewhat selective.  I suggest you DO believe what your doctor (who IS a scientist) tells you.  Even if you SEEK a second opinion, you BELIEVE what you're told by the medical scientists.. 

I could be wrong, of course..

Once we stop trusting OUR institutions, as you apparently have, we become vulnerable to leaders who TELL us WHAT the truth is.

excon
      December 20, 2016 9:59 AM MST

"In my experience, people DON'T become scientists for POLITICAL reasons"

I agree for the most part. I believe about 95% of the scientific consensus.

Though scientists are political animals just like everyone else. I believe that science, just like everything in life, is subject to financial influence. Just by funding what they like and defunding what they don't like, the government / corporate interests can steer science a lot. It doesn't require scientists to individually be corrupt. It's easy for the system to create yes men just by rewarding certain beliefs with career development and punishing other beliefs. Scientists are just as vulnerable to group think as anyone else. They're can be propagandized just like anyone else. It doesn't require conspiracy.

Corporations have a legal responsibility to do what is in the interest of their stock holders. They employ scientists to act as their lawyer, not search for truth.

Doctors are not scientists. Doctors do as they are told by the medical establishment. They do not do research. If your doctor had opinions that deviated from the current consensus, he wouldn't tell you for fear of losing his license.

Our institutions are predominantly funded by our political and economic leaders. They are more or less the same thing. Our leaders have always told us what the truth is. In Nazi Germany professors of eugenics were in every university. This post was edited by Zeitgeist at December 28, 2016 8:47 AM MST
      December 20, 2016 11:11 AM MST

It seems the burden is now upon us to be the investigative reporters and determine if the "news" source is reliable. I think that can be done by reading a few other stories on the site to see their general view of the world.

December 20, 2016 10:18 AM MST

• America is the known centre of the universe for dreaming up conspiracy theories... most are relatively harmless and provide hours of entertainment, as in laughing out loud that people actually believe that stuff, but now and then they can be dangerous... mainly because people really do believe and occasionally act on it.  

My American friends tell me that their news channels and their newspapers only tell them what the big corps want them to know.. and some of it is based more on fiction than fact...

December 20, 2016 3:48 PM MST

• Investigative Journalism but you always have to hold everything to a degree of skepticism. Investigative journalism is dying but it is the only true media source that still holds some integrity.
      December 20, 2016 10:58 PM MST

These days, what's the difference?
      December 20, 2016 11:26 PM MST

Welcome to the Post-Truth World...:-P...

December 20, 2016 11:32 PM MST