Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » "Does God Take Children to Become Angels in Heaven?" How do you feel when you hear that at a funeral?

"Does God Take Children to Become Angels in Heaven?" How do you feel when you hear that at a funeral?

Posted - December 21, 2016

Responses

No. God does not do that. 
    I have only been to one child's funeral and I don't really remember if it was said.
      December 21, 2016 4:56 AM MST

Thanks for answering my2cents. I went to two funerals for adults the last two months and at least one (I think both?), said God took them because he needed another angel.Both preachers used Matthew 23:43 to show that they went to heaven with Jesus that day. 

I've heard it about children and adults before. Here is an article where someone asked specifically about a child:

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2009173?q=%22Does+God+Take+Children+to+Become+Angels+in+Heaven%22&p=par
      December 21, 2016 6:40 AM MST

I don't believe we turn into angels when we die. Adults or children. 
      December 21, 2016 6:44 AM MST

• I can't recall ever hearing it but it strikes me as a simple way of providing a certain level of reassurance.  I've not been to a child's funeral in many years though, thankfully.

I did just get back from an adult one.  Maybe that's why my eye was caught.
      December 21, 2016 6:45 AM MST

Perhaps to some but then it caused some to blame God as being selfish and unloving taking our loved ones away, child or adult. The ones that I have heard say it claim it's in harmony with the Bible but it's not.
      December 21, 2016 11:10 AM MST

Losing a loved one is very had to understand. I lost my mother in 1971, 13 days after I turned 17. I blamed my mother for leaving me, although she died of cancer.  I blamed God. I blamed everything and everybody. I since have come to realize I would rather have my mother gone and not suffering to be here with me for MY own selfish reasons. I believe once a person dies they are simply asleep. 

December 21, 2016 11:40 AM MST

Very true. The Bible even compares death to sleep. It doesn't teach immortality of the soul as the popular Churches teach. They gave up on the Bibles hope of a future resurrection and replaced it with the Babylonish doctrine of immortality of the soul.

(John 11:11) After he said these things, he added: “Lazʹa·rus our friend has fallen asleep, but I am traveling there to awaken him.”
    (Acts 7:59, 60) As they were stoning Stephen, he made this appeal: “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” 60 Then, kneeling down, he cried out with a strong voice: “Jehovah, do not charge this sin against them.” And after saying this, he fell asleep in death.
    (1 Corinthians 15:6) After that he appeared to more than 500 brothers at one time, most of whom are still with us, though some have fallen asleep in death.

(John 6:44) No man can come to me unless the Father, who sent me, draws him, and I will resurrect him on the last day.
    (John 11:24) Martha said to him: “I know he will rise in the resurrection on the last day.”
      December 21, 2016 12:04 PM MST

Too many false prophets: too many false churches.
      December 21, 2016 12:13 PM MST

That's true. You have to check everything out from the Bible itself when someone tells you something.
    (Acts 17:11) Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thes·sa·lo·niʹca, for they accepted the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

This prophecy about the timing of the Messiah is one of the things that convinced me that there was something to the Bible:

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102005151
      December 21, 2016 12:25 PM MST

• Was the phrase the cause, or was it the loss?

Emotional pain will affect different people differently.  I'm familiar with the 'Why, God?  Why?' type of thing you're referring to.  Many people look for fault or reason in life's events when there is none; I think it gives a sense of stability or something.  That seems to happen whether God is involved or not.
      December 21, 2016 12:11 PM MST

True. 
      December 21, 2016 12:36 PM MST

I have never been to the funeral of a child, fortunately.  However, as an atheist, I call BS on anyone who would say that.
      December 21, 2016 8:10 AM MST

I've been to a few funerals of babies in my life.  I do not believe babies OR adults go to heaven after they die.
      December 21, 2016 8:13 AM MST

Thank you for your answer Spunky. You are correct in your assessment and the Bible disagrees with ones that claim that as well but it seems to be a popular misconception.
      December 21, 2016 11:12 AM MST

It's misleading.

Each angel is created and is his own species.

Humans do not become angels.

Death occurs when the soul ceases to share its act of existence with the body.

Sleep implies that we will again awake.  It is the bible's hinting in words we can understand the immortality of the soul.
      December 21, 2016 12:31 PM MST

It sucks balls. That's what I think about it. He gets joy having them in his presence, but takes them away from us to do it. That leaves parents broken and destroyed in some situations. Does that sound fair to you?
      December 21, 2016 12:42 PM MST

Naw, doesn't sound fair to me. To see what the Bible really teaches as to suffering and death, you may look up the scriptures in this link:
    http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102005141?q=suffering+death&p=par
      December 21, 2016 1:04 PM MST

"I'll lend you for a while a child of mine," He said.
    "For you to love the while he lives and mourn for when he's dead.
    It may be six or seven years, or twenty-two or three,
    But will you, till I call him back, take care of him for me?
    He'll bring his charms to gladden you, and should his stay be brief,
    You'll have his lovely memories as solace for your grief."

"I cannot promise he will stay; since all from earth return,
    But there are lessons taught down there I want this child to learn.
    I've looked the wide world over in My search for teachers true
    And from the throngs that crowd life's lanes I have chosen you.
    Now will you give him all your love, not think the labor vain,
    Nor hate Me when I come to call to take him back again?"

"I fancied that I heard them say, "Dear Lord, Thy will be done!
    For all the joy Thy child shall bring, the risk of grief we run.
    We'll shelter him with tenderness, we'll love him while we may,
    And for the happiness we've known, forever grateful stay;
    But should the angels call for him much sooner than we've planned,
    We'll brave the bitter grief that comes and try to understand!"

http://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/poetry/edgar-guest.html

December 21, 2016 12:49 PM MST

Tex, I don't recall of ever reading that children become angels anywhere in Scripture. How do I feel about it? Me being me, I would be chomping at the bit, wanting to say something but I would never do that during a funeral ceremony.
      December 21, 2016 7:52 PM MST

Yes, I wouldn't say anything at a funeral either. Bad timing. (Eccl 3)
    Another I have heard at the two funerals I went to last month was using Luke 23:43 to show that people go to heaven to be with Jesus the day that they die. I've thought about talking to the preachers but figured that might be challenging their getting their pay check in their house so to speak and figure my brothers will catch them at home.
      December 23, 2016 7:01 AM MST

Tex, any preacher, minister, pastor, Bible teacher, worth their salt should know better than to teach something not found in Scripture. Misleading the parents and anyone else within earshot is unacceptable behavior. Most importantly, I'm not sure that YHVH would find it acceptable. Just my opinion of course.
      December 23, 2016 8:34 AM MST

Your opinion is correct. We are supposed to worship in spirit and truth.

(John 4:23, 24) Nevertheless, the hour is coming, and it is now, when the true worshippers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for indeed, the Father is looking for ones like these to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit, and those worshipping him must worship with spirit and truth.”
    (Mark 12:14) On arriving, these said to him: “Teacher, we know you are truthful and you do not seek anyone’s favor, for you do not look at the outward appearance of people, but you teach the way of God in line with truth. Is it lawful to pay head tax to Caesar or not?
      December 23, 2016 8:59 AM MST

• I don't think the person conducting the service was too concerned with doctrine. He was probably thinking about making the mourners feel a little better. True or not, it would have made me feel a little bit better.
      December 23, 2016 9:24 AM MST

I suppose it makes some feel batter thinking that their loved ones are still alive like the immortality of the soul doctrine teaches. Kinda turns some against God thinking that he is killing people and separating loved ones because he is selfish and needs another angel like we don't need our loved ones. I suppose that Satan made Eve feel better telling her that she would not die too. Satan causes death, not God. We do have the true hope of the resurrection thanks to Jesus since God sent His son as Savior.

(2 Timothy 4:3, 4) For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome teaching, but according to their own desires, they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled. 4 They will turn away from listening to the truth and give attention to false stories.
    (Genesis 3:1-4) Now the serpent was the most cautious of all the wild animals of the field that Jehovah God had made. So it said to the woman: “Did God really say that you must not eat from every tree of the garden?” 2 At this the woman said to the serpent: “We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden. 3 But God has said about the fruit of the tree that is in the middle of the garden: ‘You must not eat from it, no, you must not touch it; otherwise you will die.’” 4 At this the serpent said to the woman: “You certainly will not die.
    (John 8:44) You are from your father the Devil, and you wish to do the desires of your father. That one was a murderer when he began, and he did not stand fast in the truth, because truth is not in him. When he speaks the lie, he speaks according to his own disposition, because he is a liar and the father of the lie.
    (Hebrews 2:14) Therefore, since the “young children” are sharers of blood and flesh, he also similarly shared in the same things, so that through his death he might bring to nothing the one having the means to cause death, that is, the Devil,
      December 23, 2016 11:30 AM MST