Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Do you know someone who's constantly changing plans on you?

Do you know someone who's constantly changing plans on you?

Do you know someone who can be bit flaky? My best friend can be a bit of a pain sometimes. You'd think after so many years I'd be used to it by now, but I suppose I was hoping he would have grown out of it by now. We made plans for New Year's and now it's all changed of course...I saw it coming, but I'm still disappointed. :(

Posted - December 22, 2016

Responses

Yes.  I do.  I have learned to make that work for me.
      December 22, 2016 10:23 AM MST

• I'm trying to make it work...it's not like he said "something came up, gotta change plans". Nothing came up...he just thought the old plans were "lame" and that he could come up with something better and more exciting, but I like stability and predictability. We really are opposites in many ways. lol
      December 22, 2016 10:34 AM MST

Well, I just wait till this person shows up.  If I am there fine, if I am not too bad.  I just don't let people like this control my life. 
      December 22, 2016 10:37 AM MST

I have a couple of friends who are flaky. Three days before we were supposed to move into our apartment this semester, my friend who I've known since the 5th grade backed out on my other roommate and me and left us to figure out changing the lease and finding a smaller apartment. Now my flake friend spends almost every weekend hanging out at our place. Isn't that nice? This post was edited by Paynuts at December 23, 2016 9:17 AM MST
      December 22, 2016 10:36 AM MST

• Ah, that's the worst. A friend of mine junior year of college did something similar. At the last minute he decided not to live with us and then hung out at our apartment every day that year. Lol. Then the next year he finally came around and decided to live with us...
      December 22, 2016 10:41 AM MST

• Aww hate people like that... and see although you are being very good and patient with him.. in some ways, you are enabling his behaviour to continue?  a natural consequence with someone who continually lets others down is to stop accepting invites/stop inviting him... i know it seems harsh but until he can recognise, accept and start to change his behaviour because it starts to affect HIM.. he will just carry right on doing it...  I'd plan next year's events without him if I were you
      December 22, 2016 10:37 AM MST

• I enabled it worse in the old days because my worst nightmare was letting him down so I'd pretend everything was okay and that I was not bothered by his flakiness/impulsiveness. Now that we've been living together for 7 years (ZOMG!) I'm much more honest with him and let him know that this latest change pissed me off. We're trying to work something out that we'll both like to do. 
      December 22, 2016 10:39 AM MST

• That's cool :) Glad you are dealing with it :) Hope you both find something cool to do :)
      December 22, 2016 10:51 AM MST

At least he lets you know ahead of time so you can still make new plans
      December 22, 2016 9:07 PM MST

• OMG...yes, so annoying.
      December 26, 2016 9:49 PM MST