Active Now

my2cents
Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Travel » Lots of travel over the holidays. Do you have any experiences with airport security that you can share?

Lots of travel over the holidays. Do you have any experiences with airport security that you can share?

Posted - December 24, 2016

Responses

• Yes!
    I resisted, ended up in a tiny room with all my stuff on a table. 
    Amazing what people are willing to put up with without protesting. Simply amazing!!
      December 24, 2016 9:22 AM MST

Thanks for sharing. I used to fly a lot, but the whole process has gotten too degrading and I'm pretty sure that most of it is useless.
      December 24, 2016 11:25 AM MST

• As futile as my efforts were, I made it a point to vigorously resist the intrusion. In my mind I pictured myself being the catalyst that would mobilize the whole airport into a frenzy of protestations and demands for change as we all banded together against the injustice.
    But it never happened.  
    I always ended up with my crap all over the place.
      December 24, 2016 11:33 AM MST

Yes, I flew from Honolulu to San Francisco and back. When I noted to a TSA officer that the security requirements at one airport were much more stringent than at the other, he all but admitted the TSA arbitrarily changes the level of scrutiny and particular procedures. They KNOW that beyond certain basic measures (e.g. scanning luggage for bombs), the rest of the procedures are BS.
      December 24, 2016 9:47 AM MST

I agree. It's just an expensive way to make some people feel safer.
      December 24, 2016 11:20 AM MST

I hope this doesn't bore you to death.

A few years ago, my wife and I were on an international flight, we landed at a layover in a foreign country (to remain nameless here), and had to change airplanes. As we were going through the extremely crowded terminal, the security staff was trying to hurry people along. An English-speaking security guard wasn't too pleased with the rate of speed at which our group was progressing, constantly saying, "Move along, keep moving, don't hold up the line!"
     I didn't notice immediately, but only in retrospect after the incident, but he was pushing his people (his countrymen) to hurry them along.  As I passed him, he shoved me from behind and shouted to the crowd in general,  "Hurry up!" I almost lost my entire cotton-picking mind. I turned on him, my face inches from his, and said to him in his language with complete fluency, "I'm not [insert his nationality here]!" I then switched to English, which I knew he understood because he had been speaking it seconds earlier, "Who do you think you are, pushing me?"
    He never uttered another word, he seemed more shocked and surprised that I knew his language than he did about my challenge to his percieved 'authority'. I did not, however, resort to the Ugly American stand-by, "I'm an American citizen, and I know my rights!"
    My wife, knowing me and wanting to avoid an altercation and avoid missing the flight, dragged me away. I did manage to maintain full-on stink-eye with him as long as he remained in vision, my tiny wife dragging my lanky form by one arm and my head twisted backward like an owl to glare at him the entire way.

~
      December 24, 2016 10:40 AM MST

bORED TO DEATHHHHHHHHHH

mERRY CHRISTMAS rANDALL
      December 24, 2016 10:42 AM MST

Lol!  Merry Christmas to you too, Shar!
    :)
      December 24, 2016 11:15 AM MST

Fascinating! BTW, you misspelled perceived. If I let this slide, then we know the errorists have won.
      December 24, 2016 11:17 AM MST

How do you know I'm not one of the errorists?  They've promised me 72 menopausal grandmothers, I'll have you know.  I'm not missing out on my great reward for ANYTHING!  

Sew their !
    ~

In all seriousness, thank you for catching the typo.

:) 
      December 24, 2016 11:22 AM MST

Well, my brother dearest just flew in.  He said they tore his suitcases apart and he had vicodin in a pants pocket.  Despite dogs sniffing and "experts" probing into everything he had, they managed to miss that. 

My clever brother shoved a submarine sandwich in the suitcase and blamed the sniffing dogs on the sandwich. 

My brother and I are Protected by the Angels.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 24, 2016 11:18 AM MST
      December 24, 2016 10:44 AM MST

"Protected" by angels, she says. I'd stick around except that I have to make a phone call to the federal authorities. 

Reported -- by sibling association. 
    ~
      December 24, 2016 11:18 AM MST

Unless Vicodin can be used to make a bomb, I'm not sure that the TSA cares.
      December 24, 2016 11:18 AM MST

I have flown with my legally-prescribed bottle of Percocet many times.

Well, who said anything about legal ? 

Merry Christmas Old but Wise
      December 24, 2016 11:46 AM MST

He didn't have a prescription.
      December 24, 2016 11:45 AM MST

I got onto a plane at Logan international with a pocket knife that I didn't realize was in my carry on. I was a bit freaked out and surprised that they didn't see it on their scanner. 
      December 24, 2016 11:05 AM MST

I've seen that happen with my brother. He put his pocket knife under his watch and change and passed it through and no one paid any attention.
      December 24, 2016 11:19 AM MST

Oh, so the entire family is a bunch of criminals.  And here I was thinking you were the only one.  Pffffft.

December 24, 2016 9:25 PM MST