Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Zack
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Logic (in the abstract).

Logic (in the abstract).

Riddle me this scenario.
There are two people from two different countries, neither of whom has ever been to the other person's country, and each of them has the opinion that her/his country is THE best country in the world.
Which one of them is correct?

~

Posted - December 24, 2016

Responses

Best is in the eye of the beholder.  So both. 
      December 24, 2016 10:55 AM MST

So which one of them is INcorrect, Profesora Smarty-de-la-Pants?
    ~
      December 24, 2016 11:24 AM MST

Neither.   That was the point.  Both can be correct depending on whose viewpoint you are seeing. 
      December 24, 2016 11:43 AM MST

So which viewpoint is correct?
    ~
      December 25, 2016 4:29 AM MST

• Both can be right and both can be wrong... the judgement is partly subjective..  Much would depend on what the criteria is.. is it how free the people are, how well educated, how well people are treated, how well people treat others, how long they live, how much disposable income they have, their human rights record?

See it's not that simple.. it would depend on criteria or a set of criteria..

I'd add that even visiting the other person's country wouldn't necessarily mean you know much... it#s a start for sure, as is having a wide range of friends from the other country and spending years learning about the other country... few do that!
      December 24, 2016 11:44 AM MST

• There's no other factors involved and without those factors I can't make an opinion. Different countries have different social norms and different social norms depend entirely on how people are treated. I would need context.
      December 24, 2016 6:09 PM MST

The context is simple: each of the two persons' opinions. 
    ~
      December 25, 2016 4:30 AM MST