Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » If God created mankind in his image why didn't he give us ability to THINK like he does instead of just telling us how we should behave?

If God created mankind in his image why didn't he give us ability to THINK like he does instead of just telling us how we should behave?

Posted - December 25, 2016

Responses

• That's a great question!
    I have.to tell you that I have never thought about it that way. Great thinking!
      December 25, 2016 2:59 AM MST

Ok thanks.. it's getting to be hard work to come up with original sort of questions that have never been asked before. 
      December 25, 2016 3:14 AM MST

Great question.
    Here is a scary thought, maybe we do think like he does.
      December 25, 2016 10:27 AM MST

• That's very clever.
      December 27, 2016 7:11 PM MST

• If you look at the prejudices often promoted and nurtured in various faiths, it becomes clear this is something many, if not all, share.  Not enough people have asked themselves why this is, but perhaps I'm just being impatient.
      December 27, 2016 7:41 PM MST

• I have to concede that this is a new idea to me and somewhat on the quirky side. I mean of course this is accepting we are created that way. That maybe we REALLY are created to his image and He is just as faulty and petty as we are right?. So just as we assume all our good qualities come from Him, maybe the bad ones do too. That's pretty good MrW.
      December 27, 2016 7:55 PM MST

• Or perhaps worshippers have, over time levered both their own 'nasty side' and 'good side' onto the perception of their God.  The number of conflicted writings would seem to indicate so.  I do not know if God exists, nor do I think that I can know.  But I am certain that if a God does exist, human religion has little or nothing to do with 'Him' and is merely a parody of God, utilised for human purposes. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 27, 2016 8:49 PM MST
      December 27, 2016 8:01 PM MST

• Personally I think that religions are like those buses in the Philippines, they are all basically the same. They all take you somewhere, either where you want to go, somewhere completely different, or nowhere at all. The difference is the paint and the kind of stuff they have hanging on the outside. Besides the outside adornments, they are all the same. You know what I mean?

December 27, 2016 8:16 PM MST

All the gods previous to God-of-the-bible were created in the image of man,  woman or beasts so when someone decided the concept of one almighty powerful God would be better than believing in multiple gods they also thought it would be more glory for God to say he created man in his image instead. 
      December 27, 2016 8:47 PM MST

• Something that can be seen fairly clearly with the Greek pantheon.  All the Olympian gods have a very human aspect to them.  They are by turns petty and generous, vindictive and protective and demonstrate a whole host of behaviours indicative of real human failings and attributes.
      December 27, 2016 8:55 PM MST

• I love the idea of the Pope as a bus driver!  :)

And yes, I do know what you mean.  I'm not sure I would entirely agree with it in all cases, but I wouldn't reject such a notion out of hand either.
      December 27, 2016 8:57 PM MST

Well, the problem is that we are limited---we possess our being in parts.  It is a great limitation.  God simply IS.

We live with both a limiting principle and perfecting principle---that is why we can change and grow.  God does not change---He is perfection.

So basically, we are not capable of "thinking" the same way He does.

It works out pretty well though.  It turns our that by behaving a certain way we are able to understand the reason we should behave that way.

That, for better or worse, is how learn from birth what is right.
      December 25, 2016 12:39 PM MST

Jehovah God has endowed the human being with attributes of the mind enabling such being with thinking faculties, intelectual capacity, mental perception, intelligence, reason, thought,  intention,  remembrance,  mental state or view, opinion, and mental inclination,  attitude, or powers. 2timothy 3:16 says: "all scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work."  As imperfect beings God has provided the bible as a manual to guide our lives.
      December 26, 2016 11:01 PM MST

I think He could have given us the capability to think in the way He does since He created us in the image of Himself . Then we would know better than to sin, disobey or make mistakes. It would only have taken about another cubic inch or so of space in our brain box.
      December 26, 2016 11:47 PM MST

There are some who don't think for themselves at all. They just follow along and do what they are told like robots.
      December 27, 2016 11:38 AM MST

Unfortunately not enough people question their beliefs. 
      December 27, 2016 11:53 AM MST

Very true SA. Blind faith is a very dangerous thing.
      December 27, 2016 12:17 PM MST

Y'know I think that belief in God inspires men to write some wonderful stories to inspire people to believe in God and the stories of the bible rather than a God who inspires men to write the stories. 
      December 27, 2016 4:25 PM MST

That sounds about right to me. And it has worked very well.
      December 27, 2016 4:37 PM MST

Ok.
      December 27, 2016 5:00 PM MST

• Do you not do that yourself L?  Im pretty sure I can come up with a pretty long list of things you believe only because you have been told to. Do you not think so?
      December 27, 2016 7:16 PM MST

Maybe when I was much younger and more trusting but not anymore.
      December 27, 2016 7:51 PM MST

• Like I said, I am fairly convinced that I can come up with many concepts that you have accepted by faith, just because they have been taught to you in school. I am not implying they are wrong. I only question the pointing at those who believe without personal confirmation, when we do the same. No? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 27, 2016 8:02 PM MST
      December 27, 2016 8:00 PM MST

God leads by example and does not have to speak at all.  One of the most primordial aspects of God is SOUND. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 27, 2016 8:53 PM MST
      December 27, 2016 7:46 PM MST