Active Now

Shuhak
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Holidays » Are you turned on or off by MATERIALISM? Why?

Are you turned on or off by MATERIALISM? Why?

The Pope says that Christmas has been taken hostage by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants, the homeless. Are you aware or are you among the blind?

Posted - December 25, 2016

Responses

I just want the basics to be happy and comfortable , nothing fancy.
      December 25, 2016 1:12 PM MST

Thank you for your reply TomT. Of course "the basics" vary for each of us don't they? :)
      December 26, 2016 3:39 AM MST

Good point Rosie, I want  the modern conveniences, nothing fancy, my home, car,computor  etc.  Trumps basics are at least a million bucks for pocket change.
      December 26, 2016 1:47 PM MST

Us too TomT. Nothing fancy. I get much joy from the computer as you probably have gathered by now. In my real life I'm a homebody and not all that social. But Answermug provides me with a way to interact with others without any strings. I'm here when I wanna be and not when I don't! I check out Google News and Yahoo news. I love emails because our relatives are all over the place. I can research whatever I want at any hour of the day or night! So I would miss it very much. Our TV  provides much of our entertainment. Jim plays golf and tennis and there are always tournaments to watch. I like history and  science and food shows! We have one car because we're both retired. That is not to say it would sadden us  to win the Lotto! Thank you for your reply! :)
      December 27, 2016 4:55 AM MST

Wow Rosie, we are more alike than you think, even the TV shows ,also old westerns.
       Have a nice day Rosie.
      December 27, 2016 8:27 AM MST

Definition of materialism from the internet:  a tendency to consider material possessions and physical comfort as more important than spiritual values.

Generally speaking, I would think that being good stewards of all that we possess involves a value system with the appropriate hierarchy.

I try to remain aware.

December 26, 2016 2:01 PM MST

There are certain basic material things we all need to live tom. Shelter, food, access to medical care. Beyond that it's nice if you can afford a want or two as well. I wonder whom I would  be if I were very wealthy? Our circumstances shape us. I'm pretty sure that is something I shall never experience..being wealthy. But we have enough to live a comfy life because we're pretty simple folks and don't require a whole lot. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 27, 2016 5:00 AM MST
      December 27, 2016 4:59 AM MST

What does that even mean?  Materialism.  Worship of material?   We are all materialists.  Do NOT fool yourself.  DO you live in a house and drive a car?   Or do you live on the sand in Ethiopia?

All of us.  Materialists.  Cannot live without it and cannot even survive without it.   Just because I don't want a Mercedes, doesn't mean I can live on the streets with nothing.  If you have a shopping cart with stuff in it from the garbage?  Still materialistic. 
      December 27, 2016 5:37 AM MST

What most people call "materialism" is, in fact, Status Competition.

People don't buy Rolex watches because they keep time better than a Casio or Timex. People buy Rolex watches to signal to other people "Look how wealthy/high status I am!"

While we all individually believe we are not affected by Status Competition or fall victim to its allure, there is a wealth of psychological research which suggests people in general are influenced by Status Competition and Status Signalling.  One need only look at the recent presidential election and its effects upon how the United States will be governed for the next few years for obvious evidence.
      December 27, 2016 6:29 AM MST

the bible foretells that the last days of this system of things would be marked by many conditions, one of them being materialism. (2timothy 3:1-5)
      January 3, 2017 11:53 PM MST