Active Now

Danilo_G
Randy D
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Which of the "marriage models" outlined in the description appeals to you and why?

Which of the "marriage models" outlined in the description appeals to you and why?

Posted - December 25, 2016

Responses

I'm no millennial, but after 35 years of marriage (I'm 71), I am a firm believer in the Till Death do us part model.  

(My first wife was apparently a believer in the Real estate model, but she never shared that with me until it was too late.)

In the absence of abuse or addiction, the Till Death do us part model provides the greatest paradigm for happiness and growth.
      December 25, 2016 1:02 PM MST

I wasn't looking for a millennial opinion on this- the survey just happened to be asked of millennials previously.

Congratulations on your long and happy marriage. :)
      December 26, 2016 9:41 AM MST

• I really don't have the answer to this.. .i have at various times thought various things, including open marriage/multiple partners is correct.. I guess then what i think is that perhaps it should be down to the two, (or more!) individuals to work out which is best for them.. I guess if I had to choose one it would be that it can be renegotiated every 5 years or so... 

I do think that people shouldn't be trapped in unhappy marriages.. but equally i do believe that marriages often fail now because two people aren't always willing to work and compromise to make it work, they walk away rather than try.. treating marriage as disposable.
      December 25, 2016 1:34 PM MST

I agree with a lot of what you said. What spurred my curiosity was that I was looking up divorce rates of millennials and it seems that the group may have a lower divorce rate than previous generations, but it's too early to tell. It may be because so many are waiting longer or because a lot of people who don't like marriage are skipping it, so those who do marry today are in it for the long haul. 
      December 26, 2016 9:48 AM MST

None. Marriage is a possessive, suffocating institution. I prefer to live.
      December 25, 2016 4:24 PM MST

• alone! And without comfort we assume? Otherwise you are relying upon *generosity* of passing strangers or else you are in a relationship anyway, in which case, in real terms, that's little different to marriage.
      December 26, 2016 10:10 AM MST

• I can be in both a monogamous relationship or open relationship but if I had to choose from the list provided.. the multiple partner one. Being in an open relationship requires trust and it doesn't mean you get to sleep around with whoever you want or just go off and be careless with other people. It's still grows out of respect because if you don't have that it won't work. The thing is it's VERY rare that an open relationship would actually work out but if you can find that type of mutual openness it's very likely you'll have partners for life. Plus life is about enjoying multiple things and the moments you have to share with others. Some people can't provide you with "everything" you want.. and that's OK with me because I wouldn't be with people for the materialistic things they provided anyways.
      December 25, 2016 10:31 PM MST

That makes sense. 
      December 26, 2016 9:50 AM MST

This is missing certain critical options from which to choose that prevent me from being able to respond freely:

Two or more of the above, specifically:____________

None of the above/Other answer: ___________

No comment (she's two feet away from me and may look over my shoulder any second)

~
      December 26, 2016 6:52 AM MST

lol I considered making this a poll, but I figured people needed the freedom of the open forum. 
      December 26, 2016 9:51 AM MST

I'm surprised they didn't ask if they could marry their iPhone.
      December 26, 2016 9:49 AM MST

It wasn't on the list. Besides, Siri is programmed to deny proposals. She won't even say "I love you" back. I know. I've tried. 
      December 26, 2016 9:53 AM MST

Getting desperate, huh?

~
      December 26, 2016 10:12 AM MST

Just testing the limits of my relationship with her. ;)
      December 26, 2016 10:25 AM MST

Tease.

~
      December 26, 2016 10:47 AM MST

• It's funny how almost everything in our lives isn't a lifetime commitment. Then, we expect we're going to marry someone who was a complete stranger to us previously, and it's a forever thing. What else is setup that way, and are we really wired for it?

I think people should have to renew a marriage license just like a driver's license. Of course, the odds of me getting "married" are pretty slim.
      December 26, 2016 10:36 AM MST

Would "love at first sight" be cause for having the license revoked for impaired vision problems?  LOL.

December 26, 2016 10:45 AM MST

• I'm in a committed relationship, and we both work to keep the relationship alive. We both feel that once we are married the chance of each taking the other for granted might increase leading to deterioration.
    We're both happy as we are: in love, but unbound.
      December 26, 2016 10:55 AM MST

• I really like the idea of "til death do us part" just have to find the right person first... 43 and still looking...
      December 26, 2016 9:08 PM MST