Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Has the child-proofing of lighters saved any lives?

Has the child-proofing of lighters saved any lives?

Normally, a lot of post-studies are released that show how a major change has affected the issue. We see this with vehicle safety a lot. I just started poking around and couldn't find anything on lighters. It was a huge deal when the child safety mechanisms were added to them in the 90s. (It was the 90s, yes?) Did this change help in any way? O_o

Posted - December 25, 2016

Responses

I think it was the 80s. I am sure it has probably helped some. I do remember when they first came out many adults had problems working them. They gave them to their kids to figure out. They joked if you want to know how to work a child proof thing just give it to a child. 
    However the lighters I have seen recently don't have a lock on them.
      December 25, 2016 9:50 PM MST

I remember my parents griping about the change but it wasn't something that affected me. I thought the lock was mandatory. I wonder how they're getting away with that.
      December 26, 2016 9:37 AM MST

A young girl on my wife's side of the family burnt herself severely with a lighter. (80's) Today, her scarred face and neck are not too bad, but it is still there.
      December 26, 2016 6:53 AM MST

• I doubt it.   It would be difficult to tell for sure, since the number of smoking households with unattended lighters is vastly smaller than it was 20+
      December 26, 2016 6:55 AM MST

Now you didn't REALLY buy your kids lighters again? Sheesh.
      December 26, 2016 7:11 AM MST

Stocking stuffers. :p
      December 26, 2016 9:38 AM MST