Active Now

Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » What do you think are some things that could make a reasonable person change their mind about belief in God and the bible/scriptures (

What do you think are some things that could make a reasonable person change their mind about belief in God and the bible/scriptures (

We hear various stories about miraculous events happening which could be assumed true;  but there is almost always an alternate explanation that could suggest the event is not of a Divine Intervention 

Posted - December 27, 2016

Responses

What do you think are some things that could make a reasonable person change their mind about belief in God and the bible/scriptures (
    We hear various stories about miraculous events happening which could be assumed true; but there is almost always an alternate explanation that could suggest the event is not of a Divine Intervention

=======================================================================

1- I expect by "a reasonable person" you mean a reasonable atheist, and therefore by "change their mind about belief in God" you mean start to believe in God.

2- Some people have a personal life changing experience that puts them back, or for the first time, onto a path of belief in God. However, you might not categorise any of these as "a reasonable person" and as you say, "there is almost always an alternate explanation that could suggest the event is not of a Divine Intervention"

3- With others, what turns them to God are the inadequate answers to fundamental questions about the universe and its laws and about life and the countless aspects of our own selves that are totally out of our control following their own predetermined paths. Here are just three examples out of many reasonable persons who changed their minds and believed in God:

a] an American professor of mathematics whose personal experience of mindless domestic violence and subsequent observation of human behaviour convinced him that the world must be godless. 

b] an Australian university student whose parents hated being dragged to church every Sunday and so, not wanting to put their children through the same, brought them up as atheists drumming it into their heads that when we die we are just worm food, period. Anyone who says otherwise is talking rubbish.

c] a British university graduate whose family attended church only to qualify for places for their children in a good Church of England school. After that he went around arguing against belief in God.

This post was edited by CLURT at December 29, 2016 1:12 AM MST
      December 28, 2016 3:57 AM MST

I have witnessed some signs that God may exist but I think the only thing that would make  me become thoroughly convinced is if God were to speak in audible words to me.
    Seems like I might be expecting too much but I cannot think of what else could give me 100% assurance. 
      December 29, 2016 1:41 AM MST

ok, but there are many, especially among Christians, who claim just that - that God speaks to them. They'd get sceptical looks, especially from Muslims who regard such claims as verging on blasphemy.
      December 29, 2016 6:58 AM MST

Just one time would be fine with me.

"I exist" would be all He would have to say while I was in a wide awake condition.

I may be reluctant to tell anyone God spoke to me.

Now I just recall an experience one time long ago, not sure what to make of it..

My dad was dying of cancer and at abut the exact time of his death a spark flew across the room I was in from one wall to the other. 
    I was living in Vancouver at the time and he was in Manitoba. 

What do you think of that? This post was edited by Kittigate at December 29, 2016 8:25 AM MST
      December 29, 2016 7:52 AM MST

TY for sharing that.

"What do you think of that?" It's not really important what I make of it or what fascinating factual explanation an investigative scientist comes up with. What is most important is what other impact are YOU going to allow it to have on you. I said "other impact" because it is clear that it has had an impact on you, not least is the fact that it stands out as a significant incident.

The guy in the first video walked out unscathed from a car that had such a bad accident that it broke into two. A police officer who rushed to the scene told the guy that if he really was in that car then God definitely had a plan for him. Fast forward to 2 mins to get there quick.

The Mexican American woman in the second video was stopped in the nick of time from an accident by a voice that came from no one she could see. That part of the story is at 2 mins into the video.

The Australian atheist in the third video was on the verge of believing in God. All he was asking for was just a tiny divine sign to give him the final nudge. He gets to that part 8 mins into the video, if you want to go there first.

December 29, 2016 7:29 PM MST

Even if I ever felt totally  convinced and assured of God's existence then what do I do? 
    I would not feel inclined to join any religious organization or much inclined to mention that I have become theist to anyone. 
    I would not expect or even ask for any kind of miracles to happen in my life neither. 
    I guess I would just try to behave somehow like a good theist should. 
      December 30, 2016 11:04 PM MST