Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What do you think of people that aren't respectful of others, yet they want others to respect them?

What do you think of people that aren't respectful of others, yet they want others to respect them?

Do you..... never give it, always give it or pick and choose according to some specific criteria?

Posted - December 27, 2016

Responses

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
      December 27, 2016 12:38 PM MST

You'll get no argument from me. Thank you. 
      December 27, 2016 2:17 PM MST

• Not very much at all. I can't stand hypocrites, not to mention, I have a huge problem with rude people and snoots, in general. Just saying. 
    I am a respectful person. Manners are very important to me. However, if someone is habitually disrespectful to me, he/she won't get my respect, in return.
      December 27, 2016 1:11 PM MST

Very well said. 
      December 27, 2016 2:16 PM MST

Respect is something to be earned.
    Those who don't deserve it, won't get it from me.
      December 27, 2016 2:01 PM MST

I feel the same. 
      December 27, 2016 2:14 PM MST

*Twitches* 

"Respect" is a very abstract concept. You have your own idea of what qualifies as disrespectful, as does everyone else. While there are some people who feel it's their duty to "tell it like it is" without concern for emotions or the impact of their words, most people don't set out to be disrespectful.

I don't know what your particular question relates to, but even here on this site,  I hear a lot of "So-and-so did it first" or "So-and-so disrespected me" (which is often because the person simply expressed a dissenting opinion). There's also the classic "So-and-so attacked me by saying something unkind about a broad category I fit into." 

If we're talking about respect in regard to things like Trump mocking a disabled person, well, there's no way to classify that as anything but disrespectful. However, most of the time, "disrespect" falls into one of the gray murky areas, where a person feels slighted and the "disrespectful" person is at a loss for what started it. 

So, does everyone deserve respect? No, but I'm going to give the benefit of doubt every time and assume no harm was intended unless a behavior becomes habitual and I've tried to talk to the person about it. There's a saying that goes something like "If we each take an eye for an eye, we'll all be blind." Respect is that way too. 
      December 27, 2016 3:09 PM MST

Some people confuse respect with fear, and vice-versa, confuse fear with respect.  
    Attitudes about the definition of respect vary greatly, here's an example: a gang member considers "respect" to mean that no one should challenge him, and if they do, he responds with violence.  A police officer in that scenario considers "respect" to mean that the gang member should abide to the law, and if he doesn't, detention, arrest, and charges may follow.  Neither party completely agrees on a narrow definition of respect, and neither party fully accepts the other's perspective on it. 

~
      December 27, 2016 5:56 PM MST

I humor them and pretend.
      December 27, 2016 6:45 PM MST

You mean like all of these gang bangers? A bunch of clueless animals.
      December 27, 2016 6:53 PM MST