Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » Do things you enjoy doing lose some of their fun when you do them for a paycheck?

Do things you enjoy doing lose some of their fun when you do them for a paycheck?

Posted - December 28, 2016

Responses

I'm a workaholic, so this doesn't apply to me.

~
      December 28, 2016 12:45 AM MST

• Yes.
      December 28, 2016 2:39 AM MST

Most likely.
      December 28, 2016 3:50 AM MST

Living on a farm I always like making fires usually to serve a purpose.  A local farmer hired my brother and I to burn piles of flax straw after harvest -about 120 acres. Had a great time 'specially after sunset to see so many piles glowing in the dark. 
      December 28, 2016 6:08 AM MST

I have experienced both extremes.

One job I had, where I did a lot of reading and writing, felt like stealing money.

On the other hand, I've always enjoyed working on cars. Doing it for money was an enormous stress pile which caused me multiple physical and mental health problems.

My general sense is doing "fun" things as an occupation tends to make them less fun, because part of doing fun things is having control over the pace and direction of them. In a work environment, much of the sense of control is taken away.
      December 28, 2016 6:34 AM MST

Not really.  I have loved popcorn as long as I remember.  In high school I worked at a theater and sometimes did the concessions.  I kept a box to nibble all the time.  I still eat popcorn with an above average frequency. I like legal work whether or not for compensation.
      December 28, 2016 2:49 PM MST