Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » If before life began -all the gods, good bad & evil held contest to see who could create life on Earth -which god do you think would win?

If before life began -all the gods, good bad & evil held contest to see who could create life on Earth -which god do you think would win?

Hint: whichever God wins gets to rule the Earth. 

Posted - December 28, 2016

Responses

I can't relate.

Aristotle reasoned to the necessity of an efficient cause in his Metaphysics.

To me, that is the Abrahamic God and He has always existed.

I consider all other "gods" to have been created by man and exist only in their minds.

---Just my outlook on reality. This post was edited by tom jackson at December 28, 2016 1:10 PM MST
      December 28, 2016 11:08 AM MST

Many other gods existed before God-of-the-bible. Wasn't it Abraham who wanted to eliminate belief in the previous gods in order to establish belief in one single all-powerful God? And then make up a wonderful sounding new creation story...
      December 28, 2016 11:19 AM MST

A little more information about me.

I think that truth exists and is the proper object of study.  After a decent amount of formal theology and philosophy courses,  and a lifetime of continued interest in "truth" and the pursuit of it,  my understanding of God can change by refinement, but not in its basic assumptions.

So, I am quite comfortable with others who think otherwise and have come to different conclusions.

A myth is defined as: a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.   It can also refer to: a widely held but false belief or idea. 

Unfortunately, the second definition has been automatically appended to the first.

I believe Christ is the Alpha and the Omega.  The efficient cause and the final cause.  And everything points to Him.  All concepts of gods are used by the one God to allow men of all peoples---Jews and Gentiles to become familiar with a "god" who is all powerful and has a number of qualities he prefers his worshipers exhibit.

Then, starting with the human presence of Christ, the new Adam, he is carrying out the salvation of the human race in real time.

In my opinion, this is a truly excellent plan on His part.

Christ said there is only one God---perhaps this was directed at least partially to the Romans and just saying that they had the right concept, but not a real God.

So I don't see him making up a wonderful sounding new creation story---I see him finally promulgating the correct one.

----Just some thoughts on my part.
      December 28, 2016 11:44 AM MST

Well I been atheist/non-believer for some years now;  an atheist searching for evidence of supernatural /God.

My perception is that concept of supernatural was developed nany many thousands of years ago as supernatural forces which caused natural events : earthquakes,  thunder,  lighting et al then the person of gods evolved from there and over the ages concept of gods  was refined and evolved into the God who is in vogue at present. 

It is belief in God that inspires men to write beautiful stories suitable for scripture material I think rather than a God inspiring man  to write the stories. 

And since all the previous gods were imagined in the likeness of man,  woman or beast the bible story writer figured instead it would be more glory for God to turn it around to say man was created in the image of God.

Points to ponder.. This post was edited by Kittigate at December 28, 2016 12:24 PM MST
      December 28, 2016 12:15 PM MST

Kittygate, my friend...
    ...there is only one God
    always has been always will be.
    All verifiable by looking within yourself
    through meditation.
    ...Atheists will say prove it. It doesn't work that way by proving it to someone else.
    but one can prove it to themselves, by simply looking within through meditation.
    ...beyond the thinking mind
    beyond the ego,
    is oneness. Call it what you want. It's there 
    within everyone.
    ...As long as a person is rooted within their mind
    and indulges in separational  thought processes,
    confusion and a trapping within duality, the illusion exists.
    ...When the mind is quiet, and no thoughts running through it
    the perception of oneness is experienced.
    ...our world is created by thought and we believe it all to be true,
    with most people never experiencing the oneness within themselves.
    but when the thoughts cease, the mind reveals itself to be
    a reflection of the light within our Soul.
    ...But as long as we deny it...the illusion continues.
    It's all a very simple solution to find the supreme truth within.
    but most are locked within their thoughts lifetime after lifetime,
    and don't want to let go of the attachment, so they never 
    find the hidden treasure.
    ,,,and as a result we keep coming back,
    because we can't get beyond the ego.
    ...Believing or not believing does not work.
    what is necessary is a direct experience
    of the depths of our being,
    for the understanding and knowledge.
    Then we really know.

...anyway thanks for your question
    and for the opportunity to respond.
    take care...

This post was edited by Baba at December 28, 2016 2:15 PM MST
      December 28, 2016 1:51 PM MST

Actually I think we each and all have within ourselves a "God" in some form that we don't really have to search for; it, he or she is there. What good does it do anyway to search for and find God? When you find Him does it benefit you in any special way? Are you supposed to worship it and pray to it?

The Thing I believe in whatever one would call it has helped me out sporadically on occasion several times with minor physical healing as well as mental healing when I was extremely stressed. 
    That provides me with faith that 'something'  is there.

If you prayed for help is your faith strong so you would feel sufficiently assured you God would provide? This post was edited by Kittigate at December 28, 2016 4:35 PM MST
      December 28, 2016 3:45 PM MST