Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Are you an "infidel"?

Are you an "infidel"?

Posted - December 30, 2016

Responses

No. In all fidelity I must admit to being an outfidel. This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at December 30, 2016 3:11 PM MST
      December 30, 2016 2:47 PM MST

• No, I don't think so... Am I?
      December 30, 2016 3:06 PM MST

nope

December 30, 2016 3:11 PM MST

According to the Koran...Yes I am. 
      December 30, 2016 3:13 PM MST

whereabouts in the "Koran"?

"Christians have historically referred to people outside their religious group as infidels, somebody who has actively rejected the Christian religion. It only became a well established notion in English sometime in the early sixteenth century, when Jews or "Mohammedans"(Muslims), were described as active opponents to Christianity, and as such infidel was seen as term of contempt. In Catholic doctrine, an infidel is one who does not believe in the doctrine at all and is thus distinct from a heretic, who is one seen as having fallen astray from true doctrine, i.e. by denying the divinity of Jesus. Similarly, the ecclesiastical term was also used by the Methodist Church, in reference to those "without faith"."

January 3, 2017 4:46 PM MST

5:17

SAHIH INTERNATIONAL

They have certainly disbelieved who say that Allah is Christ, the son of Mary. Say, "Then who could prevent Allah at all if He had intended to destroy Christ, the son of Mary, or his mother or everyone on the earth?" And to Allah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth and whatever is between them. He creates what He wills, and Allah is over all things competent.

This post was edited by my2cents at January 3, 2017 8:14 PM MST
      January 3, 2017 8:12 PM MST

• Everyone is, to someone.
      December 30, 2016 3:16 PM MST

not that i know of
      December 30, 2016 3:58 PM MST

• I'm a non-Muslim, so yes :)
      December 30, 2016 4:08 PM MST

Not necessarily

"Christians have historically referred to people outside their religious group as infidels, somebody who has actively rejected the Christian religion. It only became a well established notion in English sometime in the early sixteenth century, when Jews or "Mohammedans"(Muslims), were described as active opponents to Christianity, and as such infidel was seen as term of contempt. In Catholic doctrine, an infidel is one who does not believe in the doctrine at all and is thus distinct from a heretic, who is one seen as having fallen astray from true doctrine, i.e. by denying the divinity of Jesus. Similarly, the ecclesiastical term was also used by the Methodist Church, in reference to those "without faith"."

This post was edited by CLURT at January 3, 2017 4:51 PM MST
      January 3, 2017 4:48 PM MST

• I don't know what that word means :( and I'm flipping between to many sites to google it .... So my best guess is no :)
      December 30, 2016 4:34 PM MST

here's a meaning:

January 3, 2017 4:50 PM MST

• What's that word mean in English?
      December 30, 2016 5:25 PM MST

• Thank you :)
      December 30, 2016 5:30 PM MST

• Correct belief.
      December 30, 2016 6:50 PM MST

• Hmmm, I thought it had something to do with being gay and one of Castro's lovers.
      December 30, 2016 8:01 PM MST

Etymologically, it is one not of the faith.

Usual usage is pejoratively by persons intolerant of those not of their own faith.
      December 30, 2016 5:33 PM MST

• YES! Of all religions!
      December 30, 2016 6:49 PM MST

I think the term came into vogue during the Crusades to describe mainly the Muslims, but actually anyone who didn't subscribe to papal authority. The Orthodox Christians in the "Holy Lands" were not spared by the Crusaders.

The word came into general use after that and applied to all those of different faiths to ones own, including those with no faith at all. So no matter what religion we are following we are all more than 50% infidel. To atheists all theists are infidel to the fundamental principles of atheism.
      January 8, 2017 7:55 AM MST