Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » What is the story behind your username?

What is the story behind your username?

Maybe it's something random, or something you crucially though about for a whole week, let me know.

Posted - December 31, 2016

Responses

Hello s:

Well, I wanted to make friends, so I thought I'd pick something warm and fuzzy.

excon
      December 31, 2016 3:09 PM MST

its just my name
      December 31, 2016 4:34 PM MST

One of my favorite books/movies of all time is Moby Dick.  The first line in each is "Call me Ishmael."  Ishmael in the Bible was the rejected son by Abraham's first wife.  That is partly my story.  Contrary to what some might think, I am not middle eastern.
      December 31, 2016 7:21 PM MST

Ishmael was the son of Abraham by his wife's slave girl Hagar. Sarai believed herself to be barren, so she told her husband to impregnate Hagar so he would have an heir. Then when Sarai's son Isaac was born, Hagar and Ishmael were banished. (Sarai, later renamed Sarah, was actually a complete bitch, frankly).
    The Arabs, descended from Ishmael, believe themselves to be disposessed by the Hebrews, descended from Isaac. That's a 5000 year old blood feud that shows no signs of abating, and nobody seems to have a solution. It has little if anything to do with "Jews vs Muslims", it's older than that.
      December 31, 2016 10:59 PM MST

It's the name of the main character of a book. I feel I can relate to him.
      December 31, 2016 9:40 PM MST

It's the wise old man who played an integral role in designing the Earth in The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy (the real one, not the abortion they put on the big screen).
    According to author Douglas Adams, when  he was writing the script for the original radio series he was trying to come up with a name that sounded vaguely obscene, but would still be broadcastable. So he started with "PHARTIPHUKBORLZ" and played with it until he got Slartibartfast.
    The name and back story tickled by offbeat sense of humour, so I adopted it as my 'net handle. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at January 17, 2017 7:20 AM MST
      December 31, 2016 11:06 PM MST

• Well, i used yahoo answers since 2007 but i hadn't came up with Skunky until 2012 when i spent the day searching for a  cartoon pic to have as my display pic for yahoo answers.. found the skunk on google search and i liked it!! but it wasn't until mid 2015  that i came up with a last name for him.. Once sodahead gave everyone the boot a couple of years ago- i joined a site called Blurtit which required a last name so i had to think of one- For the first few months of Bluritit it was actually Skunky Goodboy but than Stinkerson somehow popped into my head and that i decided was going to be my character's name. I love my character and his name.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 17, 2017 7:20 AM MST
      January 2, 2017 3:16 PM MST

Your name and avatar always made me smile.  
      January 15, 2017 6:11 PM MST

Mine's from a geographical feature called Durdle Door,  a rock arch on the Southern English coast not far from where I live.

January 15, 2017 5:36 PM MST

• Cool picture.  Looks like the first area in Aidyn Chronicles. (N64 game)
      January 15, 2017 5:51 PM MST

Thank you Alf. I don't know the game but Durdle Door is known to so many if not by personal visits then by photographs in so many books, and so many paintings, that perhaps it inspired the writers.
      January 16, 2017 3:42 AM MST

• I believe you're right. I just Googled the Durdle Rock and found Lulworth Cove, Weymouth and Weston. 
    In the game, there is a castle on the peninsula where Weston is shown.  So you must live in the castle! Cool. :) 
      January 16, 2017 5:54 PM MST

Lol!

No I don't live on Portland, the peninsula on which Weston is one of its villages, and certainly not in a castle!

There are two "castles" at Weston; one genuine, Norman and ruined; the other near it, called Pennsylvania Castle but was built as a house (18C I think), was a hotel for time and is a house again now but has facilities for hire for private functions.

Portland also has "Portland Castle", a shore-defence battery built in Henry VIII's time, still intact, now preserved. 

Pennsylvania? As in...? Yes: the original owners were the Penn family, whose own William Penn was the American state's first Governor. Perhaps that influenced America (was she by then fully "USA"?) to import Portland Stone for the Mason-Dixon Line markers.

The whole area has been popular with film-makers for decades, but I didn't know games-writers use it too!
      January 17, 2017 6:11 AM MST

• Interesting and thanks for your time and patience. My ancestry comes from Durham County and one day, I would like to go there.  West of Durham, near Carlisle, is a small town (?) that carries my family name and I would like to see it. 
       In regards to William Penn, he died in July 1718 and America became USA on July 4, 1776 (Independence Day).
      January 17, 2017 7:19 AM MST

Thank you! I'm afraid history's not always my strong point!

A lovely area, the far North of England. I hope you do manage to visit your ancestral town.
      January 17, 2017 3:00 PM MST

• "Borrowed it from an old TV series."  
    I figured most people would be able to relate to it,
    but the longer I keep using it, the older you have to be
    to understand what it's all about. I'll keep using it though ... we were very alike, he and I. :)

January 15, 2017 6:06 PM MST

You eat cats?
      January 30, 2017 5:16 PM MST

• You mean like they do in Taiwan, Hawaii, Korea, China, Tahiti, Switzerland and Vietnam?
      January 31, 2017 12:01 AM MST

Peapod originated from saying, "we are just like two peas in a pod" with friends along the way.  It sort of stuck in my head and I have had the name for at least 10 years being on the Internet.
      January 15, 2017 6:10 PM MST

• Simple.....It's my name.
      January 17, 2017 7:24 AM MST