Discussion » Questions » Holidays » Is Santa Clause part of Christmas traditions in the southern hemisphere?

Is Santa Clause part of Christmas traditions in the southern hemisphere?

It's probably a little late for this question but it was inspired by this question http://answermug.com/forums/topic/18514/if-the-north-polar-ice-cap-melts-will-santa-have-to-move-to-the/view/post_id/142408/page/1

A thick red suit sleigh and reindeer just don't seem to go with the 25th of December in places like Australia or Argentina.

Posted - January 1, 2017

Responses

• I've wondered the same thing.   Honestly I couldn't see myself getting into the Christmas spirit in the middle of summer.   California winters were enough to suck the season right out of me when I was living there.
      January 1, 2017 1:53 PM MST

They might want to change the outfit of them. 

January 1, 2017 1:59 PM MST

In many places such as Australia and South Africa he is. It is not so much a matter of which hemisphere as of who colonized there. But I would not be surprised if some of them have him living on 'their' winter pole. It really only need to be "Somewhere you cant just go and check if he is there" ;-))

You may also note how his workshop is staffed with Elves, thin frail creatures quite unsuitable for living in a freezing cold polar climate. maybe he lived "deep. deep in the forest" some 700 years ago before we learned the earth was round and had poles.
    This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at January 1, 2017 2:35 PM MST
      January 1, 2017 2:05 PM MST

probably
      January 1, 2017 2:33 PM MST

I live here, I can state categorically that he is. However the reindeer can't stand the heat, so the sleigh is drawn by six white kangaroos, known as "boomers".
      January 1, 2017 7:31 PM MST

probably since hes everywhere
      January 2, 2017 3:26 PM MST

The belief of the mythical figure known as Santa Claus is celebrated throughout the planet, including the southern hemisphere. 
      January 3, 2017 10:53 PM MST