Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » The freedom of the press remains the lifeblood of a democratic society - and an invisible liberty. Do you agree?

The freedom of the press remains the lifeblood of a democratic society - and an invisible liberty. Do you agree?

Americans I have bumped into along the way tell me you can't trust the media over there.. that it's run by corporations or those with religious affiliation etc.. My fav American, who's studied the UK and been here many times tells me our press is way freer... 

I have no idea and nothing to compare it to, so I cannot comment on how free the press and media is over there ... but the question remains.. fundamentally is it not one of THE most important cornerstones of society that the people have a fair chance to see and hear about what's really going on?  

We have free press here.. always have had.. sure there are newspapers with alliances to certain political parties, so they tend to favour one party of another.. BBC is independent and we see that because they will always report on their own scandals too... and they tend to give both sides a fair chance to speak... 

The quote above came from the Times, my fav newspaper as it gives unbiased views both pro and against things.. it goes on to say, "Whatever anyone thinks of the free press, there is always something worse, an unfree one.  

In principle then surely everyone would agree it's in the interests of everyone that we all have free press? 

Posted - January 2, 2017

Responses

an Invisible Liberty...that's cool
      January 2, 2017 6:48 PM MST