Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Communication » How many sentences does it take to go from question to rant?

How many sentences does it take to go from question to rant?

Three or more is a paragraph and surely in rant territory.

Posted - January 3, 2017

Responses

• If readers need to use the scroll bar/key/wheel to read it, then it's probably a rant.
      January 3, 2017 9:08 PM MST

Rants are undefinable, as it's doubtful you actually need to have more than one sentence in order for something to qualify as a rant; to be frank, I'm sure of it, and I don't think we need to be going around and pointing our fingers, hem-hawing at those who happen to like a good rant now and again or those who don't like them, especially when we can't seem to agree on what it takes for something to be a rant or even the concept that a rant is somehow quantifiable by the number of sentences, though perhaps character counts could shed some light on it if you're looking for more accuracy, which I doubt that you are.
      January 4, 2017 1:25 AM MST

I doubt your rant means you are not taking offense. Just saying ;) This post was edited by O-uknow at January 4, 2017 5:06 AM MST
      January 4, 2017 5:02 AM MST

• I understand length to be a criteria as malcontent, confused and asinine blustering can be conveyed in choppy but limited sentences, no?
      January 4, 2017 5:36 AM MST

probably depends on who's talking
      January 8, 2017 8:48 PM MST

I would do define it by content rather than length. 
      January 8, 2017 9:17 PM MST