Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » What's the main difference between English and American movies?

What's the main difference between English and American movies?

I have chosen clips from from two actors that, could be considered representatives of their respective countries: Hugh Grant and Arnold  Schwarzenegger.

That's my impression, what's yours?

This is the English clip.

And the American.

Posted - January 4, 2017

Responses

• I hear you there.   It is one of those things that started off as meh.  Then the rabid fandom and saturation grated the nerves into I can't stand it anymore.  I watch so many movies I'm kinda jaded sometimes.  CGI really annoys me too.
      January 4, 2017 3:11 PM MST

• Never a truer word spoken.  :)
      January 4, 2017 3:41 PM MST

• Does it have a lot of gruesome killing stuff in it glis?
      January 4, 2017 1:58 PM MST

• Paperhouse?
    No none at all really.   It's a surreal psychological fantasy/horror movie about a young girl's nightmares and this alternate universe she creates.   It's really good.
    No gore, violence, or demonic stuff really.
      January 4, 2017 2:01 PM MST

• Fantastic! ill check.it out tonight! Thanks man.
      January 4, 2017 2:06 PM MST

• Let me know what you think if you do.  My opinion is the story is very interesting,well developed,  and creepy and has a lot of good cinematography that adds to it. 

I think it might be up your ally to be honest based on what little I can gather from your posts.
      January 4, 2017 2:15 PM MST

• Have you seen Pans Labyrinth? 
      January 4, 2017 2:34 PM MST

• Yeah,  visually stunning but the plot and characters where severely lacking IMO.    I didn't much care for it and found it convoluted and shallow.   It just didn't make much sense or seem to really go anywhere and I found it hard to care about any of the characters or relate to them.

Seemed undeveloped and unfinished to me.  Paperhouse is very similar to it though in it's about childhood fears, coping, and escapism.  The themes are very close in both movies.
      January 4, 2017 3:05 PM MST

• Im sorry you felt that way. I found it deep with intertwining levels or reality, fantasy and nightmare, all within the context and the horrors of the Spanish civil war.  I liked it that the characters were not all good or all bad, even the girl fell to temptation and failed. Anyway, im looking to download (legally of course) Paperhouse as we speak. )
      January 4, 2017 3:30 PM MST

• It just seemed incomplete to me.  Not bad or anything, just something with the execution of the story.  Like part of the story wasn't there.  Like the time constraint rushed the story.  I was really, really excited to see that movie and may have over-hyped it in my head too.  I do have that flaw sometimes.
      January 5, 2017 2:47 AM MST

• I like Eddie Izzard. that's it.
      January 4, 2017 2:26 PM MST

English movies are about surviving in a "proper" culture. American movies are about surviving in a chaotic culture.
      January 4, 2017 1:35 PM MST

• Spot on.
      January 4, 2017 1:40 PM MST

• I think you could be onto something there. So which one are you Mr B. Are you more the proper kind, like Hugh, or the muscle head,  shoot em all up, type like Arnold? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 4, 2017 1:46 PM MST
      January 4, 2017 1:44 PM MST

• You must have never seen Brazil.
      January 4, 2017 2:22 PM MST

I have. But isn't Terry Gilliam an American...
      January 4, 2017 2:27 PM MST

• Touche.
      American born and raised yes.
      January 4, 2017 2:32 PM MST

• That's less the difference between American movies and English movies than the difference between action movies and romantic comedies. 
      January 4, 2017 1:55 PM MST

• I don't know, there's a lot of action in the first one. You see, he plays The Prime Minister and he's got some kind of conflict with the USA, all this while at the same time trying to romance Bridgitte Jones. tHat's a lot of action there. no?
      January 4, 2017 2:03 PM MST

• Not in a way that's comparable to action in an action movie.
      January 4, 2017 2:08 PM MST

• I know D, im just joking, the whole thread is a joke. you're right.
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 4, 2017 2:15 PM MST
      January 4, 2017 2:10 PM MST

Accents?
      January 4, 2017 2:48 PM MST

• If you want an up to date UK comedy, might I suggest 'Four Lions', a film from 2010.

Other non-comedy suggestions might be 'The Commitments', from 1991, 'My Left Foot' from 1989 and 'Mona Lisa' from 1986.

I would always recommend 'Kind Hearts & Coronets', from 1949 and the original 'Bedazzled' from 1967.
      January 4, 2017 7:29 PM MST

• A potential list is quite exhaustive, but I think our friend here is pretty intransigent about these minor details. )
      January 4, 2017 11:03 PM MST

• Four lions, Great Movie.
    I still remember the tiny AK47 and the ,"because she's got a beard" bit.
    My left foot, I found a little lacking, and it sort of limped about to slow for me. See what I did there?
    Bedazzled? 1967? 
    I've watched the newer one, I didn't know about that one. I will surely check it out. 
    Thanks for that one, Mr W. I like finding earlier versions of current movies. It's very interesting to me to look for cultural differences between the two.
      January 8, 2017 12:34 PM MST