Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Legal » How come a man who had a license to carry a weapon and was reaching for his wallet to get that said license and even told the officer he was doing so got shot and died from his wound?

How come a man who had a license to carry a weapon and was reaching for his wallet to get that said license and even told the officer he was doing so got shot and died from his wound?

I thought guns were used to protect.

Posted - July 7, 2016

Responses

I don't know the story here, but it sounds sad.

I think gun owners should have to go through training and testing first, which should include learning how to properly surrender their weapon. You don't make any sudden moves around cops, especially when they know you're carrying. You keep your hands where they can see them and let them come and remove the weapon. If an officer feels his life is in danger, he has every right to shoot. Like a criminal is going to say "I'm grabbing my gun to shoot you?" No... 

These are general reflections, though. Like I said, I don't know which story you're referring to and whether the officer was right or not, but people need to watch their conduct around officers. It's a dangerous world for everyone- them and us.

July 7, 2016 3:17 PM MDT

• Wasn't he a black man with a gun ? All bets are off in that situation, armed or not, lawfully or not. 

July 7, 2016 3:21 PM MDT
  • Bez

Yet another case that proves that my so-called "bigoted" view of the cops is the truth. Are you listening, you lot who think I am a mindless bigot? You know who you are.

July 7, 2016 3:25 PM MDT
  • Bez

Very likely.

July 7, 2016 3:25 PM MDT

July 7, 2016 3:38 PM MDT

If that is what happened and all that happened, it's obviously a pretty heinous thing to do. Question is, is that all that happened?

Did he tell them he had a gun or was it in full view? Did he reach for his wallet after telling them so? Did they instruct him not to and he did anyway? Was he belligerent with them, did he appear intoxicated? Did he threaten them or anyone else prior to their arrival? Did he and the officers involved have a history? Was he suspected of a crime?

I think were it me in this position, I'd lay on the ground with my hands as far away from the gun as possible and allow them to get the license. But even failing to do that isn't necessarily sufficient justification for the officer(s) firing on him. Expecting them to just "trust you" as you reach in the direction of a gun is probably a bad idea as only you know your intent, they don't. Human perception is a very tricky creature.

I suspect this question lacks complete information. I'm not saying you deliberately omitted information, just noting it seems incomplete.

July 7, 2016 3:43 PM MDT

Terrible situation
    None of us know
    Exactly how it developed
    Fork summed it up
    Pretty well
      July 7, 2016 4:08 PM MDT

•   July 7, 2016 4:24 PM MDT

• I am really sad that this has been happening for centuries and nothing still has not been done. Nothing has changed. I am tired of the "we're all one race" "all lives matter" "we need to love one another" but then turn around and people defend this. :0(
      July 7, 2016 4:40 PM MDT

My position remains unchanged. It's tragic. Absolutely tragic.However, you can hear the officer's voice shaking as he repeatedly says "I told him not to reach for it. I told him get his hand off of it." He's even reminding the woman to keep her hands where he can see them. 

For a moment, pretend you're an officer. You don't know who the "suspect" is, his history, or his intent. You can only judge the man by his actions and you know that he is armed. He reaches for something and you tell him to stop. Do you wait until you can see whether he's producing a weapon to shoot you with or do you protect yourself? You only have one second to decide and the man is not listening to you and is not stopping. Would you really, truly, honestly wait to see what the man is getting after you've told him to stop moving and you know he's armed? Your life hangs in the balance of a decision you make in a single second. Would you wait? 

July 7, 2016 5:07 PM MDT

Wow. I couldn't view the video for some reason, but I did read the story. I see the officer is claiming he ordered him not to reach for the license. I don't know if that is in the video, I will try to view it again later or look for it elsewhere. What sad situation.

July 7, 2016 6:09 PM MDT

• Yes, I would wait. He was compliant, why did he have a gun out in the first place if it was just a traffic stop? Why shoot him four times? Why did the 4 year old have to see her father get shot? Why is an officer afraid of a civilian? Shouldn't police be trained to be calm in stressful situations. He wasn't even shooting to "Subdue" him. He was shooting to kill him. Why did he want to kill him? 

I'm sorry...but I see a lot of white men who readily have their guns/weapons about to go and shoot or are attacking an officer....and the officer wait... You cannot deny that. :(

https://www.facebook.com/shegossipzdotcom/videos/864592907008030/

https://www.rawstory.com/2016/07/here-are-8-white-people-who-pointe...

I found this video and watched it earlier. I don't know if you want to view it, you don't have to: https://youtu.be/XRQ-Ci6LwVw?t=49m3s

It's about Dr. Joy DeGruy Leary mainly explaining not much from the past has been healed and still carries on within society today and affects everyone depending on what was passed down.

But I just want to know why this is happening. It's stressful, and you get that paranoia...are you next? Is your brother next? Is your dad next? Will it happen right in front of you? It happens right in front of our face but yet some people deny there's a strong adversity to black people (consciously or unconsciously) to the point of not feeling sympathy for us or maybe rationalizing that maybe we "deserve it". People say, "they need evidence", when injustice for black people happen and when it's presented they try and discredit it some way some how.

An ex cop, which I've learned the name from the video, Norm Stamper, was an Ex Cop for the Seattle Police, he was the chief and he has made a book called Breaking Rank. I am still researching him but he gives insides about people in which he's heard other police call the shooting of a black person a misdemeanor offense among other things. 

I don't want to keep you but not all cops are good cops and I think we shouldn't excuse the bad one's actions and encourage the good ones to stop and prevent the bad ones for having so much authority to hurt the innocent. 

July 7, 2016 7:28 PM MDT

Maybe he was too thorough in trying to convince the officer he was not reaching for a gun. It is kind of a no win situation to try to deal with a person who is already suspicious of you.

July 7, 2016 7:52 PM MDT

Is it possible for a entire nation to suffer from PTSD ?

There have been too many incidents of that kind.

July 7, 2016 8:04 PM MDT

I don't think we're going to see eye to eye on this one. I am looking at the facts and statistics here.

"Yes, I would wait. He was compliant" No, he wasn't compliant. The officer told him not to reach for anything and he kept reaching.

"why did he have a gun out in the first place if it was just a traffic stop?" The man in the car said he was armed. Of course the officer drew.

"Why shoot him four times?" I have no idea. It could be excessive or the man could have kept reaching inside the vehicle after the first couple shots.

"Why did the 4 year old have to see her father get shot?" This is an emotional question that has no bearing on the facts of the incident. 

"Why is an officer afraid of a civilian?" The civilian was armed.

"Shouldn't police be trained to be calm in stressful situations." They are, which is why the officer repeatedly warned the man to stop moving before he shot.

"He wasn't even shooting to "Subdue" him. He was shooting to kill him. Why did he want to kill him? " I don't know where all the bullets landed, but the woman on the video said that the cop shot the guy's arm off. I don't think that really happened, but it does suggest that he aimed for the arm that was reaching for something. If he was shooting to kill, he would have gone for the head or the heart. He didn't and he's likely a skilled marksman who would have hit where he was aiming, especially at close range. Ergo, he was shooting to subdue, not kill.

Your video is unrelated. There is no correlation between those officers and the officer here. Moreover, the man in the video says he is unarmed, which means deadly force would not be warranted. If you could show me the same officer from your story not shooting a white man who did the same things as the man who got shot did, I would back you up 110%. There is no evidence to suggest this was a racial thing. It is a tragedy, but I do not see a racial connection. 

July 7, 2016 8:30 PM MDT

In this case it really sounds like the cop was simply a bad cop who panicked...

July 7, 2016 8:50 PM MDT

July 7, 2016 9:37 PM MDT

Likely he wasn't doing what he was told to do, just that simple and it got him killed.   Hate me if you must, but coming from a home where I have two brothers that are police officers it's quite worrisome when things like this happen. Keep in mind most shot by police were in the act of a crime and or did not follow police warnings and commands and has little to do with race. People need to simply  follow the commands of the police officers, black ,white, brown, yellow, red ,olive makes no difference of skin tone if you don't do what the officer says they will take action for their own perceived safety and that of the public, do they make mistakes, yes, are there bad cops, you bet there are, but most are good. 

Out of the 488 people have been shot and killed by police so far this year 2016,  227 of those were Black, Hispanic or other minority while 261 of were white, do the math..... The ones being targeted are the cops.......

July 7, 2016 11:10 PM MDT

• Ok

July 8, 2016 5:43 AM MDT

Asking what was in someone elses head is always a waste of time.  No one knows. 

Next.

July 8, 2016 8:04 AM MDT

not sure why but  i think its wrong

July 9, 2016 8:22 PM MDT