Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » "No Exit". People in a room from which there is no escape. If it exists, what is YOUR idea of He**? What is the worst way to spend eternity?

"No Exit". People in a room from which there is no escape. If it exists, what is YOUR idea of He**? What is the worst way to spend eternity?

Posted - January 5, 2017

Responses

Sarte says Hell is other people.   He has got something there.   Hell is the ego.   When we escape the ego, we escape hell.   When we shut off the inner voice that is always talking back to us, we shut out the ego and we see what is left.  Peace and inspiration enter.   Heaven is found inside our own heart and mind this way.
      January 5, 2017 9:56 AM MST

Thank you for your reply Sharonna and Happy Friday.
      January 6, 2017 3:25 AM MST

probably with people that drive you nuts
      January 5, 2017 1:45 PM MST

Hahahahahahahaha! That's funny pearl! I can't argue with that! Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      January 6, 2017 3:12 AM MST

Being in the same room with Harry Reid and Hillary Clinton . This post was edited by TomThumb at January 5, 2017 1:54 PM MST
      January 5, 2017 1:53 PM MST

Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday TomT. If He** exists and you happen to end up there I sincerely wish that you be in a room with Donald J. Trump for eternity with no escape. No sign of Hillary or Harry. Only Donald J. 24/7. Video and audio and automatic TV cameras and microphones and a stage on which Donald J. will permanently stand making speeches to just you. You will have his undivided attention. Something to look forward to just in case you don't make it to the "other" place. This post was edited by RosieG at January 6, 2017 3:26 AM MST
      January 6, 2017 3:18 AM MST

I am not the kind of person to wish you harm, I only wish that you end up with someone you admire like Hillary, Reid, Pelosi, and of course Obama, it won't be long before they use you like they have others.
       Please ANSWER YOUR OWN QUESTION AND TELL ME WHO YOU WOULD WANT TO BE WITH ,OR DID I ALREADY DO IT FPR YOU?
    Have a great day.
      January 6, 2017 11:04 AM MST

• I don't believe that there is an afterlife, or that it is possible for any spirit to live independently of a body.

When I read the Sufi poets, I find myself transported into another way of being, in which there may be an entity of consciousness and unconditional love, and reading the poetry fills me with that love. There might be a universal mind, perhaps dependent on the sum of all conscious and sentient beings, existing as the construct of all societies and reflected in culture and on the internet - something like Jung proposes, or Buddhism, or The Upanishads. I find the idea plausible and attractive, but I have no evidence or logic to support the idea, so I tend to leave it aside in the category of "What-if, Maybe or Perhaps." I think physicists might one day discover that time and space are infinite, if they discover what existed before the Big Bang. I believe the answer might lie in the concepts of anti-matter or something like a reverse universe that moves through a wormhole or torus and comes out as a mirror image on the other side. In this way universes could evolve and devolve endlessly.

As for hell, it is definitely something humans create and experience subjectively during life. Usually it is created by our own neurotic minds. But innocents can also be embroiled in hell, as when children become victims of natural disasters, war, or dysfunctional families. 
    When any of the seven deadly sins becomes a habit of mind that drives destructive behaviours, it leads that person into a living hell in the form of suffering the consequences.
    Hate, fear, greed, toxic shame and ignorance are, in my view, the prime creators of hell.
    When I speak of ignorance I refer to an active choice to refuse to learn by research, observation, experience and listening to the experiences of others: I mean literally choosing to ignore the truth that is available all around us in everything we do. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 6, 2017 3:19 AM MST
      January 5, 2017 10:11 PM MST

Thank you for your very thoughtful and informative answer hartfire. I very much appreciate the amount of time you devoted to giving me such a great and very comprehensive answer! Happy Friday m'dear!  :) Just for conversation sake if you were stuck in a room for eternity with someone whom would you least want it to be?
      January 6, 2017 3:21 AM MST

• At this moment now, I would least want to be in a room with Trump.
    But if he is sane, I might be able to make peace even with him.
    So hell for me would be someone very dangerous, with whom it would be impossible to make peace.
    That would probably be a sociopath having an eternal psychotic episode.
    To make it even more terrifying, we would not be able to speak the same language.
    I am trying to imagine how I would attempt to cope with that.
    I would have to ensure that my body language remained passive and unthreatening no matter what.
    That would require a Buddha-like sainthood, which alas I do not have.
    In the unlikely event that I could sustain peace for long enough, the person might calm down and eventually cease being aggressive.
    But having all eternity to practice, I would certainly have plenty of time and opportunity to perfect the technique of generating and maintaining inner peace.
      January 6, 2017 11:09 AM MST

• Very interesting answer, Hartfire. :) 
      January 5, 2017 10:16 PM MST

• There's a modern parable that may answer your question. 

A young man who lived a riotous life was constantly warned by his elderly, religious uncle that there would be hell (!) to pay if he didn't mend his ways. The warnings went unheeded and eventually both men died, first the uncle and then, years later, the now not-so-young man.

When he reached the Pearly Gates he enquired as to his uncle's whereabouts and St. Peter directed him to a room in a quiet neighbourhood. There he found his uncle, still reading his Bible, being caressed by three almost-naked young women. He was both astonished and pleased and said, "Uncle, are these women your reward?" 

And his uncle said, "Don't be revolting. I'm their punishment."
      January 5, 2017 10:21 PM MST

• Chuckles out loud. Thanks Didge!  for a great twist on an  well known theme.
      January 6, 2017 3:14 AM MST

Thank you for your reply Didge. But I don't know whom you would least like to be stuck with in a room for eternity? Can you tell me? Happy Friday to thee! :)
      January 6, 2017 3:23 AM MST

• And a happy Saturday right back at you, Rosie. (It's already tomorrow in Australia.)

Given my druthers, I'd rather keep company with the nephew. Uncle would be too gloomy and those girls are just too energetic for an old guy like me. I'd prove to be just another form of punishment for them. 
      January 6, 2017 3:00 PM MST

Personally, I think it would be existing in a constant state of regret.
      January 5, 2017 10:43 PM MST

• To my mind, for those people who believe in Heaven and Hell that's the only reasonable attitude. To postulate Hell as a place of eternal punishment makes their God a monster. 

Me? I'm hoping for oblivion. I can't see past that. Still, I'd be happy to have a pleasant surprise. 
      January 5, 2017 10:52 PM MST

I agree with you. While I LOVE the idea of a big reunion in the sky with loved ones who have died... it just defies logic.
      January 5, 2017 10:59 PM MST

"To postulate Hell as a place of eternal punishment makes their God a monster." True that. A literal hell fire with immortal souls being tortured for eternity does not exist in the Bible, although the majority seem to think that it does.
      January 7, 2017 5:27 AM MST

• I like your point.
    Inability to forgive oneself for mistakes, make amends and recommit to better choices - that would be permanent self-torture.
    I could not imagine a more cruel hell than that.
      January 6, 2017 11:14 AM MST

Cold, in pain and listening to Eminem on constant repeat.
      January 6, 2017 4:05 AM MST

Listening to the CNN news or reading the New York Times or Washington Post. 
      January 7, 2017 5:35 AM MST

spending eternity ass kissing a narcissistic sky fairy is my idea of hell
      August 12, 2017 12:39 AM MDT