Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Four blacks kidnap and torture a white special needs teen. Live stream it to Facebook. Hate Crime? Or young kids being stupid?

Four blacks kidnap and torture a white special needs teen. Live stream it to Facebook. Hate Crime? Or young kids being stupid?

Chicago Commander Kevin Duffin said the suspects were 18, and called the kidnapping a “stupid mistake.”

Kids make stupid mistakes, I shouldn’t call them kids, they are legally adults, but they are young adults and they make stupid decisions. That certainly will be part of whether or not we seek a hate crime, determine whether or not this is sincere or stupid ranting and raving."

Posted - January 5, 2017

Responses

But does the fullest extent of the law include hate crime penalties as it would if the races were reversed?
      January 5, 2017 2:06 PM MST

I'm sure it is or it would be discrimination.
      January 6, 2017 11:10 AM MST

I'm sure it would ,or it would be discrimination.
      January 7, 2017 8:50 AM MST

Absolutely.  It is constitutionally illegal to enact a law covering only some citizens.  That died with Jim Crow.
      January 7, 2017 12:34 PM MST

But the "hate" crimes laws are only for certain citizens.
      January 7, 2017 3:05 PM MST

i think it was cruel for them to do that
      January 5, 2017 1:35 PM MST

We're responsible for our actions, whether they are stupid mistakes, bad judgment, or whatever.

Sounds like psychopathy might be a factor. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2017/01/05/what-makes-a-crime-a-hate-crime-and-would-the-chicago-attack-qualify/?utm_term=.aefbab76b355
      January 5, 2017 1:41 PM MST

'Hate crime' only speaks to motivation.....not severity.  I'm sorry, kidnap and torture are NOT what a rational person would see as 'bad decision'.  The doors opened by that line of thought chill me.

And...as a non-caucasian citizen....that hate crime law had damn well better cover all shades/races evenly.  One size fits ALL in this legal system...right???

January 7, 2017 12:21 PM MST

Based on the question as it is listed, there's no reason to call it a hate crime, but the other responses say race was mentioned while they did it, which does make it a hate crime. I have no desire to see the video to confirm it though. I will take the other responses at their word that it went that way.

The other thing to add, though, is that this is a new trend. People are live-streaming intended and planned out assaults- mostly kids in high school and junior high. Sometimes they just pick a victim at random or go out looking for one. Not all of these are hate crimes. They're idiots who should face consequences for their actions, whether in school or not. These kids want to be seen as tough, but their actions are nothing short of horrific. I saw one about a boy a few months back where I don't think race was a factor. A teen bashed in another kid's skull while streaming. He didn't even know the kid he attacked and he almost killed him. That's not a mistake, even if race isn't a factor. It's assault. Premeditated assault. 
      January 5, 2017 1:51 PM MST

Yes the other answer's are correct. They shouted "F... White people" , "F... Trump", and made the victim say  things against both. This post was edited by my2cents at January 5, 2017 7:07 PM MST
      January 5, 2017 2:14 PM MST

I don't really agree with additional thought crimes. Granted, they were so wrong for this and be sure, they're going away for a long time, thought crime or not.
      January 5, 2017 6:53 PM MST

I don't like the hate crimes either. I think a crime is a crime and should all be treated as such.  But since we have them I think they should be applied equally. 
      January 5, 2017 8:23 PM MST

Appears they were, the group was charged with not one, but two hate crimes.
      January 7, 2017 9:55 AM MST

Where do you begin...what kind of hate crime?  Did they hate him for his color?  For his disability?  His politics?

Irrespective....youth has always paid for it's indiscretions...and this went WAY beyond a mere 'stupid decision'.  This was a prime example of real moral turpitude.  Throw the book at them.
      January 5, 2017 7:00 PM MST

Well said...
      January 5, 2017 7:03 PM MST

"F... White People" sounds like race to me.  "F... Trump" sounds like Political and race to me.
      January 5, 2017 8:26 PM MST

...and I'm sure he was chosen as victim due to his vulnerability caused by his disabilities.  Frankly....though this, on it's face, appears to be a hate crime it's so broadly based as to almost negate the charge save for an overwhelming hatred of his 'otherness'.  They seemed to perceive him as a target for their rage at what they see as their perceived oppressors and this poor soul as a safe representative of these forces for them to vent their anger on.  It is a hate crime of sorts.
      January 7, 2017 12:29 PM MST

A crime like this with so much venom is a hate crime, regardless of the color of the skin and the taunts.  

They should be punished to max for their cruelty.  I hope they add some extra charges since they picked someone that was disabled.  THAT disturbs me more than anything else.  
      January 5, 2017 7:11 PM MST

Sounds like hate crimes laws do have disabled as a victim. Supposed add up to 40% more to sentence. 
      January 5, 2017 8:29 PM MST

Good!!  This poor guy is never going to be the same.
      January 7, 2017 12:29 PM MST

I know.  I am so heartbroken for him and for his family.  
      January 7, 2017 2:19 PM MST

Yes, I saw it in morning news today,I was shocked because the incident was being video taped and the culprits were doing it without a shred of compassion. It's nothing but bullying, and sad to say a disabled victim, it was a horrendous act,most inhuman and unforgivable!
      January 5, 2017 7:38 PM MST

Hello my:

I have trouble with the whole hate crime thing..  If somebody HURTS somebody else, THAT is the crime...  If the law isn't strong enough, make it stronger..  But, making it stronger because of what's in the perps mind is making a conviction harder than it needs to be..  Truly, what's IN a persons mind CANNOT be proven, and it's stupid besides. 

excon This post was edited by excon at January 5, 2017 10:10 PM MST
      January 5, 2017 9:07 PM MST

I think we actually agree on this. I also don't like the idea of a "hate" crime. For the same reasons you stated above but I do think that since we do have them on the law books they should be evenly applied. 
      January 5, 2017 9:28 PM MST

The more you can charge someone with who commits a heinous crime the better. HATE crime for this fits from what has been reported.
      January 5, 2017 9:14 PM MST