Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » When was the last time you returned a food order, have you ever?

When was the last time you returned a food order, have you ever?

I never do. But the other day, at a fast food place (I know), the difference from what they gave me and the picture was so blatantly grotesque that I had no choice. 
I got a sandwich that looked like it had been dropped from the top of a building, and then kicked around for a bit 
Is it unreasonable to expect anything from this places.
I mean, don't you get what you pay for?

Posted - January 6, 2017

Responses

• Oh I can empathise with that experience.. I never have complained about food.. but I came seriously close recently.. and in hindsight I wish I HAD complained as it was truly dire :(  

My daughter is a fish and chips aficionado - ok she rarely eats anything else when i take her out for a meal.. boring I know.. but, there is a local-ish restaurant/franchise that advertised a "fish and chip" night with "all you can eat" - I thought it would be a treat for her - she loves fish and chips.. so all you can eat seems a really good deal for a teen..  

However, the reality was that the fish portions were minute, dried up and utterly revolting, the chips were like cardboard - so let's face it, all you can eat isn't going to be a problem because having tried once - we truly didn't want any more :( 

I bought her a dessert, to try to make up for the disappointment of the main meal...which made the meal pretty expensive as the, 'all you can eat' wasn't cheap to start with.. but we didn't enjoy the dessert either - so all in all very disappointing. 

I should have complained!
      January 6, 2017 1:00 PM MST

• Maybe you should have, on this occasion, I took the burger and I told the guy he had a choice, make what was on the picture, or return my money, he gave me the money back. After he he laughed. 
      January 6, 2017 3:07 PM MST

• You are right.. I should have.. I felt that at the time... and I regret it.. they say you only regret what you don't do... so next time I will complain :P
      January 6, 2017 3:30 PM MST

• I think that maybe they count on people not saying anything. I think it is mostly in our nature to not want to make a scene, at least , I don't want to. So we kind of put up with things like that. I think. 
      January 6, 2017 4:41 PM MST

• I've only done that once. When I order a double bacon cheeseburger and you bring me a ranch chicken sandwhich; that's kind of a big mistake. Normally, I won't send anything back.
      January 6, 2017 1:30 PM MST

• I feel the same, C.
      January 6, 2017 4:35 PM MST

Yeah, I do that quite regularly. LET'S GO CHAMP!!

January 6, 2017 1:40 PM MST

• I think im missing something here.
      January 6, 2017 4:37 PM MST

LOL;))
      January 6, 2017 8:01 PM MST

When my steak was well-done and when my burger was rare are the only two times I recall sending food back. My restaurant experiences are generally pretty good.
      January 6, 2017 2:22 PM MST

• Are you talking about he same burger,  ; )
      January 6, 2017 4:33 PM MST

• I do a lot of home cooking and sending something back to myself seems a little counter-intuitive.
    Me: Hey, this is a little under cooked.
    Me: It looks fine, just eat it.
    Me: Well... it's not what I ordered, I like rare, but not under cooked, also this is chicken.
    Me: Fine! (grabs the plate and leaves in a huff)
      January 6, 2017 2:40 PM MST

• That's funny Tammy, and that you admit to it, is pretty alright. Thanks.
      January 6, 2017 3:04 PM MST

• I've never had to do that but I once waited to buy some donuts while the lass, working alone, was putting the finishing touches on the next back. She finished and walked across to me with her fingers in her mouth, sucking off the icing and sugar that were still on them. "What would you like?" she asked, smiling. I took one look at her wet fingers and said, "Nothing!" and walked away. 

But my funniest food experience was when we were driving north from Sydney. We reached Kempsey, on the north coast, and pulled in for lunch. Mrs Didge went to find a toilet wile I ordered burgers and chips (that's fries if you live in the US). When she came back I warned her, "Be careful of that salt container. It comes out really fast." She said, "That's sugar." Dang! Sweetest chips I ever ate. 
      January 6, 2017 3:11 PM MST

• My daughter the fish and chips fantatic did that when i took her to a cafe where i used to work a long time ago.. when she was very young I would have her two older brothers bring her in for a meal while I worked... I thought it might be nice for her to revisit the memory but this time with just me.. She grabbed the nearest container that had white *stuff* in assuming it was salt... spread loads on..remarking that it pours too fast.... 
      January 6, 2017 3:39 PM MST

• It's such a relief to know that somebody else did that, Daydream. I thought I was the world's greatest idiot. But I ATE them all as a form of penance.
      January 6, 2017 3:41 PM MST

• LOL she ate them all too! Worse than that.. the cafe closes at 3 and so we asked them if we could have a container to take them home.. so we loaded them into this container, (they do takeaway too so had plenty of fast food containers) and took them home where she ate the lot!
      January 6, 2017 3:49 PM MST

• That's funny, 
    I wonder if she realized herself she had her fingers in her mouth. You know? One of those reflex things. 
    Worse yet, I wonder if I would have noticed! 

January 6, 2017 4:30 PM MST

• Oh yeah, you would have. It was a definite turnoff. 
      January 6, 2017 4:32 PM MST

Generally if it can be eaten I will eat it. Nothing have ever been returned.

Once, in my youth, I suddenly found myself with more money than i needed. So I went to a fancy restaurant to celebrate. The food took a long time coming, and when it cam there as no potatoes so I ate a bit of the 'staple food' that was already on the table when I arrived. Then I told the waiter that the mashed potatoes were stale. He told me it was a decoration and not intended for eating. Thankfully he did not put the ruined decoration on my bill :)
    This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at January 6, 2017 7:59 PM MST
      January 6, 2017 5:45 PM MST

Ha ha ha I enjoyed reading this Jakoba;))
      January 6, 2017 7:59 PM MST

I've done it quite a few times.  I think the last time was because my food was not hot.  I will never be satisfied with warm food.  I always tell the waitress that when I order.  I'm not an easy restaurant customer.
      January 6, 2017 6:53 PM MST

• I reduced greatly eating in restaurants after my son started bringing home stories from the places he has worked. He is a cook and has worked anywhere from a fast food restaurant, to cooking for hundreds of people everyday. 
    I remember stories about warm or cold food that sits there while people talk all over it. He warned me also of super hot foods as that could be a sign of old food being reheated in the microwave. Good point T.
      January 7, 2017 7:39 AM MST

I returned a fish sandwich because they put that nasty tartar sauce on it when I told them not to. If I forgot to tell them I would just scrape it off, but if I tell them not to put it on and they do it anyway I get upset.
      January 6, 2017 7:04 PM MST