Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Do American's have *net* curtains? Or do you call them something else? Voile? I have a dilemma - what would you do in this case?

Do American's have *net* curtains? Or do you call them something else? Voile? I have a dilemma - what would you do in this case?

As I said elsewhere on here.. I spent the whole day taking down the christmas decs.. it shouldn't have taken me so long but that's another story.. 

So taking decs down also includes putting things back to how they were, which means re-hanging the net curtains in my front window...  And as I cleaned everything .. and hung them back up, I noticed.. the large net that forms the main part of the bay window, (my house is Victorian) has loads of holes in it... erm loads... Now I sorta knew this... as they are so old they have kinda just rotted away - nothing lasts forever .. but I must have turned a blind eye to it all..  But now.. with the windows all newly washed and cleaned again.. I kinda feel bad hanging holey net curtains up... and I wondered.. perhaps it's better to have NO nets for a while rather than holey ones! 

Not that I care what people think.. but for some reason, all of a sudden, I am uncomfortable with these holey net curtains hanging at the front of my house!  But at the same time, I live on a main road through a village and so everyone and their dog can see in... I have Venetian blinds, but... need to have them up during the day so the kitties can sun themselves on the window-seal.. well they can now the Christmas tree and Christmas village are put away :)  

So that's my dilemma... I cannot afford new nets this month... so I have the choice... no nets and use the Venetian blinds during the day but so that light shines through.. or holey nets... 

I'm inexplicably irritated by this! You can tell can't you?  I feel irritated with myself.. i knew they were holey, and have been for some time.. but the whole house was neglected for about 6 years while my life took a different path... i had no time for anything house related... Now my path is house and garden related. and I want to get it all sorted.. .tidy, back in order... and it's frustrating to me as so much needs doing... and although I have achieved sooooo much in the last year - I don't always have enough funds and time to do everything all at once...  so now these net curtains are irritating to me... because I have noticed them.. so now I can't *un-notice* them!!!

Posted - January 6, 2017

Responses

• I don't. I never saw the point  of them.   I want my curtains as opaque as possible.
      January 6, 2017 3:40 PM MST

• Ahh but net curtains are opaque? I am wondering whether similar things - your curtains, our net curtains?  
      January 6, 2017 3:51 PM MST

• Aren't net curtains those lacy things that you can see through?
      January 6, 2017 3:54 PM MST

• Yes can be... but can also be opaque... i have settled on two possible styles... one is plain, opaque with just a stripe or two along the bottom, or... a twee opaque butterflies thing... I used to have a heavy lace... you can see through it but people cannot see in.. they were donkeys years old; well past needing replacing.  

My house is victorian so lace goes.. but I have venetian blinds which are kinda modern so stripes go...  but just to be perverse I think i will have the butterflies... unless I have both as they are now so much cheaper than they used to be :)
      January 6, 2017 4:16 PM MST

• Gotcha.   I saw these really cool velvet curtains that were black and red with death's heads on them that I really want but I just can't justify spending hundreds of dollars on curtains.  :(
      January 6, 2017 4:22 PM MST

• Some things are better left unbought my friend. ;)
      January 6, 2017 10:36 PM MST

• Yeah I know and I don't have the place for that.   They were cool though. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 6, 2017 10:49 PM MST
      January 6, 2017 10:44 PM MST

• Do you have a picture? They do sound cool.
      January 6, 2017 11:03 PM MST

• No.   Saw them in a specialty shop in SF when doing the tourist rube thang.
      January 7, 2017 9:15 AM MST

• I wouldn't hang them back up if they are going to be a constant source of irritation. I would rather be surrounded by things that make me happy. You know what I mean?
      January 6, 2017 5:11 PM MST

(Americans)
    Plural noun, no apostrophe. 

January 7, 2017 2:07 AM MST