Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Would you be interested in "ask an expert" sessions/ events hosted on AM?

Would you be interested in "ask an expert" sessions/ events hosted on AM?

I'm thinking about hosting events in which I bring in various experts to answer questions for a period of a day or two at a time... maybe as long as a week. I'd probably devote a group to each type of expert that comes in, to make it easier on the visitor to find the questions that are directed to him or her.

I know of a few professionals who have expressed an interest in answering questions, including a holistic doctor. I figure if you guys enjoy it, we can turn it into a regular thing and maybe have a new expert pop in each month or every couple of weeks.

What do you think? Would it be fun and would you participate and ask some questions? Are there any particular professionals you'd like to be highlighted? 

Posted - January 7, 2017

Responses

Yes, please!

~
      January 7, 2017 1:57 AM MST

I'm not too sure if I'd be taking part myself, but it might be a great idea. It will be critical to have enough participating. Our different time zones might be another obstacle unless you make it an American event.
      January 7, 2017 2:01 AM MST

I wouldn't be expecting the expert to be here at a specific time. What I'm envisioning right now is a general window of time. For example, and I don't have dates actually set to this is total randomness, we might have "Ask an Expert" run from February 6-10. I'd probably let you guys know a week or two in advance what kind of expert is coming and then starting on February 6, I'd open up a special group dedicated to that profession, and you guys could pop in and ask your questions whenever it suited you. And, the professional could pop in whenever it suited them during that timeframe- ideally a few times- and answer the questions they wanted to. If we run it over the course of a few days, I'll probably shut off new questions a day or so before the event ends, to allow the person a chance to get to everything. Once the expert's time with us is done, I'll basically lock down the group, so it's clear we don't have an expert in that field answering anymore, but the Q&A will still be available to view.

If we happen to have someone in the same or a similar field come in for a later "Ask the Expert" session, I would reuse the same group... which I think could get really interesting, especially if the experts have different opinions on things. New questions can still be added, but they'll also be able to respond to previous ones if they want.

At any rate, having it stretch out over a period of days should allow people in any part of the world a chance to interact with the experts, even if they're on at a time when Americans aren't. Also, I hope to have all kinds of experts once we get going with it, which means those experts could be anywhere. The first group will probably be American, just because it's easier for me to find people in my general area, but it'll hopefully become more global over time.
      January 7, 2017 12:47 PM MST

It's always worth giving it a shot. Your thoughts will make sure anyone can take part As it's over a period of time. It will be interesting seeing how it runs. I'll be looking inside should it happen. We will see from there. Thank you foe elaborating on your thoughts. :-)
      January 7, 2017 1:24 PM MST

I think that's a great idea. Could our questions be saved up so when an expert comes available, they can answer them at that time?  
      January 7, 2017 2:22 AM MST

Yes and no. It won't be a live session, although that may be something to consider later. You'd know in advance what kind of expert was scheduled and could add questions when the event opens. If you're wondering if there's a way to create a holding spot for questions and have them post that day, even if you create them earlier, probably not- at least not at first. You'd have to make notes on your own and then manually add questions during the event. 
      January 7, 2017 12:50 PM MST

I think it's a great idea and I would likely participate, depending on the expert, obviously. Holistic doctor would be awesome!!
      January 7, 2017 2:59 AM MST

Thanks for the feedback. :)
      January 7, 2017 1:04 PM MST

Excellent Idea. Do I get to be an expert?
      January 7, 2017 7:34 AM MST

If you want. You're an expert in several fields. If you're serious, let's talk via email and hammer down which one you want to cover. :)
      January 7, 2017 12:52 PM MST

God forbid.

Is that like that Answer Bag idea?   That was the worst thing they ever did. 
      January 7, 2017 7:42 AM MST

I don't recall that. Who was the 'expert'... you?
      January 7, 2017 7:49 AM MST

• AB did a series of questions posed by staff and answered by 'experts' who professionally 'researched' them. It was annoying and a waste of space. I think JA has a little something different in mind though. 
      January 7, 2017 11:48 AM MST

Oh yeah now I remember.  That was kind of a joke.
      January 7, 2017 12:00 PM MST

• Yes it was. It was horrible. :)
      January 7, 2017 12:04 PM MST

Yes, the "Professionally researched" answers on AB were extracted from other Demand Media properties.

They were "professionally researched" insofar DM paid the people who did the research and wrote the articles. However, if those people had particular expertise in the subject it was a coincidence, not a deliberate feature.
      January 7, 2017 1:30 PM MST

• They also asked a lot of duplicate questions. It got to where when I did answer one, I always gave an off topic answer. It became a game with a few of us. 
      January 7, 2017 2:48 PM MST

(Laughs out loud)

"Re: Was the expert you" This post was edited by ProblemCh1ld at January 8, 2017 12:57 AM MST
      January 8, 2017 12:27 AM MST

You could be an expert on the art of sarcasm, Professor.
      January 7, 2017 8:00 AM MST

Karen mostly answered this. I think their primary thing was "professionally researched answers," though they might have had experts, too. The researched ones, like Karen said, were questions asked by staff, which were then answered by paid content writers. I could be wrong, but I suspect their goal with this was to make the site like more of an index, so more people would find them when searching for answers on Google. Their content also often linked to Demand Media's other sites, which helped the other sites look more authoritative to Google and boosted them in the rankings. 

The goal of this program isn't to create canned content for search engines. It's to give people the opportunity to interact with people who really are experts in a chosen field. It's member-generated questions- questions that real people actually want to know the answers to.

Also, for the experts, I'm more or less promoting this as an opportunity for them to gain exposure and improve their online footprint. They aren't getting paid to come. So, I suspect their interactions will be fairly substantive because they want to be known for being knowledgeable in their area of expertise. The big differences here come down to the core goals of each site. AB wanted to be a directory of knowledge. We're here to facilitate the sharing of knowledge, from person to person. Their focus was data. Our focus is people. This post was edited by Just Asking at January 7, 2017 3:44 PM MST
      January 7, 2017 1:02 PM MST

Excellent idea - could inspire some pretty interesting  questions for everyone to benefit from. 

January 7, 2017 7:44 AM MST

Thanks. :) I hope you're right.
      January 7, 2017 1:04 PM MST

• Innovative and probably popular but I can't think of a field in which I'd want to ask questions of an expert.

January 7, 2017 10:23 AM MST

Fair enough. You may feel inspired when you see the activity flowing though. :)
      January 7, 2017 1:05 PM MST