Active Now

Slartibartfast
Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Have you ever ridden with or driven for Uber?

Have you ever ridden with or driven for Uber?

Posted - January 7, 2017

Responses

I would be terrified to drive for any company.    I am thinking about all the nutjobs out there that could be passengers.
      January 7, 2017 7:33 AM MST

I was thinking about joining in,but I would have to buy a smartphone. No way?
      January 7, 2017 7:49 AM MST

• I think I'll pass ! I still haven't cleaned out all the dog hair from my deceased hound dog. Doesn't much interest me.
      January 7, 2017 8:06 AM MST

My daughter suggested it a couple of years back. It sounds like an interesting job but
    I would have safety concerns.
      January 7, 2017 8:17 AM MST

Hello Chief:

Does using Uber Eats count?  They pick up food at a local restaurant and deliver it.  I've done that a few times.. 

excon
      January 7, 2017 8:21 AM MST

They are evil. They have no real employees. The drivers make nothing. No benefits. They have to maintain their own vehicles. Basically they have reached the Capitalist dream: enjoy all the profits, no overhead, no employees, and little risk.

They want to have self-driving cars, so the jobs they "created" will be lost in a few years. Then it will be pure profit. They'll still have to pay a few developers, but they'll probably outsource them from India or the Ukraine.
      January 7, 2017 8:26 AM MST

Actually, the self-driving cars are just a publicity stunt to cow their workers.

If Uber/Lyft/etc. were to shift to autonomous vehicles, then they'd have to OWN the vehicles and assume the risks of ownership, maintenance, etc.

Their current "skim profits from the real work by providing a brand name and an app" is a much more sustainable scheme.
      January 7, 2017 9:16 AM MST

Good point.
      January 7, 2017 9:20 AM MST

I otherwise agree with you about destructive nature of Uber/Lyft/etc. and other "sharing economy" scams.
      January 7, 2017 9:22 AM MST

• I kinda agree, but at the same time those drivers choose to put themselves there so I can't really say they are evil either.  It's all voluntary and anyone screwed over by them really just did it to themselves.
      January 7, 2017 9:37 AM MST

@Glis -- Yep, just like all those 11-year-olds who worked in the textile mills 70 hours a week for bread and water did so "voluntarily"...;-D...
      January 7, 2017 9:39 AM MST

• Not even remotely similar.   Apples and oranges.

Dude, at some point it's on us to be able to recognize a bad deal.  The idea that we should be able to walk around thinking only good deals exist and we don't have be aware of our own benefit doesn't hold water.
    If I tell you I will sell this rat nested 96 Ford Festiva with a seized engine for 10grand as is and you pay me the money.   Then it's on you when you realize that it will cost the same to fix it and the car will only be worth $1000 tops when you're done.   Not me, I did nothing wrong.

Show me someone who was forced to drive for Uber or Lyft.   Show me.  They're is a difference between shady/scummy and evil.  It's not black and white on this issue. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 7, 2017 9:49 AM MST
      January 7, 2017 9:48 AM MST

Yeah. Of course why are people willing to work for them? They probably did lose a "good" job or don't make enough at an equally "bad" job so they need to supplement their income.

The problem is when this becomes the model for businesses, which seems to be the case. I've "read" that we'll all be contract and freelance workers in the future.
      January 7, 2017 9:55 AM MST

• Only partially true.   These people have a smartphone or what not to be able to do this and a car.  So they can't be all that bad off.  Instead of downsizing their expenses and goods they choose to enter an agreement that will cost them more money than they will make.   People don't owe each other anything except what they agree to.
    So yes they are scumbags and shady, but that isn't really being evil and no one is forced to enter the agreement.   

I've read somewhere the the Son of God is going to come down someday and chase away all the evil.
      January 7, 2017 10:10 AM MST

Maybe. They might already have a car that's paid off and a smartphones contract that is cheaper to keep than leave. Also, I've "heard" some people only have smartphones instead of laptops or maybe even cable and TVs. So, they could have cut down in other areas besides the car and smartphone.

I would also argue that the world has made smartphones almost a necessity. In some places cars are also needed because public transportation is severely lacking.

Now, if they're working for Uber just so they can afford to drive their Lexus that they are using for Uber, then that doesn't make much sense to me.
      January 7, 2017 10:22 AM MST

• Cable, TV, and streaming content aren't necessities and are just luxuries.  I'm one of them, but I'm cutting costs for luxuries I can afford. if you're struggling with finances and still have a TV, car, and internet then you are partially struggling because of your level of luxury.
    So to afford your car you are going to enter an agreement that will cost you more to have it.   That's just being stupid.
      Whats even sleazier are the people who learned they could make lots of money off of Uber by becoming a driver but instead of driving they just sign up other people, usually their friends.   Again though they aren't really doing anything evil,  just shady.

I'm not saying these are nice companies by any means, but it's not black and white either.   Two sides to every coin.

January 7, 2017 10:34 AM MST

• Actually no.   Kenya is one of the countries that is basically black listed from any real IT support because of the rampant online scamming coming from it.  A lot of Kenyan providers are blocked by a lot of internet services in other nations because of it.
      January 7, 2017 10:14 AM MST

. . . or Kenya.
      January 7, 2017 9:43 AM MST

Is that a big source of IT work now? Haven't heard about that, but I can believe it. Maybe that's why these companies are so anxious to bring satellite based internet to Africa. They'll have a big pool of cheap labor.
      January 7, 2017 9:57 AM MST

It's just that Obama is from Kenya so I thought . . .
      January 8, 2017 9:49 AM MST

• Nope.   I ride share the old fashion way if I need to.

January 7, 2017 9:40 AM MST

Did you ever get a ride with Large Marge?
      January 7, 2017 10:03 AM MST

• No but there is a farmer who always says the " tell 'em large Marg sent ya'" whenever he drops you off.  
    Any trucker who will pick you up likely isn't someone you want to get in the cab with.   Farmers and "work crews" are who usually will stop and let you jump in back on the way to town.  Faces become familiar in small population areas.   
      January 7, 2017 10:24 AM MST

What's Uber?
      January 7, 2017 9:43 AM MST