Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » In a scale from 1 to 5, where do your cooking skills fall? What would be your signature dish? Noodles and chips don't count. )

In a scale from 1 to 5, where do your cooking skills fall? What would be your signature dish? Noodles and chips don't count. )

Id say im about a three. 
I can maneuver my way around some shrimp scampi with garlic sauce over linguini, with a side of medium rare steak. 
You?

Posted - January 7, 2017

Responses

• 3. I can do pretty good, but sometimes rely on the box or can too much. If I knew a little bit more about spices, I'd rate myself a 4, and if I knew more about sauces and such a 5. Also, I make simple comfort food meat and potato dishes that are consistently good. From scratch, I can make a decent roast chicken with mashed potatoes, stuffing, and gravy.
      January 7, 2017 9:29 AM MST

• That's alright!
    Good consistent cooking is actually hard to achieve, at least it was for me. Fried Chicken was, hands down, the hardest thing for me to learn to cook consistently. There was a lot of chicken eaten as I went from one mess to the other. Chili was a close second, and pretty omelets a third.
    On spices, I believe in less is better. I learned that while messing around with curry. )
    Thanks Tammy. 
      January 7, 2017 9:37 AM MST

I'm decent.   The only thing I cannot do is be a line cook or something where I have to go fast and furious.

I can do a really mean lasagna. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 7, 2017 10:47 AM MST
      January 7, 2017 9:31 AM MST

• Lasagna Eh?
    That's a tricky one. Very easy to end up with a beef and noodle soup on one hand, or a heavy meat and cheese brick on the other.
    You know? It was years after I learned how to make that, that I found out you don't have to precook the noodles!! 
    What's the secret of your Lasagna?
      January 7, 2017 9:41 AM MST

• You know S, I didn't know how tough being a cook is until I saw my son directing a lunch for a couple hundred people. It is definitely not for the thin skinned, these guys are tough, tough, guys!!
      January 7, 2017 9:49 AM MST

Hello Lago:

1.  I make a mean gumbo, and my ham hocks and beans ain't bad.  But, you can make a living on that.

excon
      January 7, 2017 9:34 AM MST

@excon -- You claim you have limited cooking skills, yet you successfully opened a restaurant. Curious that...
      January 7, 2017 9:35 AM MST

Hello OS:

Yeah..  I can work on the line in a restaurant, but that's NOT cooking in my view. I'm good at omelettes, I can flip eggs, and I'm very very fast, but that's NOT cooking either..  I am NOT a chef.  I'm not close.  In fact, because I understand the restaurant business, I can unequivocally state that my cooking skills are limited.. 

Here's my PROOF..  Years ago, having honed my very slick breakfast making skills, I applied for a cooks job at Andre's in Aspen.  The manager asked me to make a soup.  I FAILED at it.  I absolutely FAILED..  Even today, I have NO idea how to make a soup from scratch.

It's ok if you doubt me.  Most people do.

excon This post was edited by excon at January 7, 2017 10:47 AM MST

• I believe you. 
    My son has wanted to cook since he was little, so my experience comes from having to learn those dishes, so I could teach them to him. 
    Making an omelet, the right way, not the American, IHOP, dried up way, and chicken stock were some of the things he (we) had the most trouble with.
    And those, an omelet and chicken soup, were the two dishes he's been asked to make the most when apying for jobs.
    At first he thought they would test him on culinAry knowledge or dexterity but no, chicken soup and omelets.
      January 7, 2017 10:22 AM MST

• Yes sir, Gumbo.
    You've made me salivate with that one. Now I want some. That's pretty good that you can cook that. Never tried cooking it, it's  a little intimidating for me. )
    But I do like having it.
    Thanks Ex.
      January 7, 2017 9:44 AM MST

Hello again, Lago

All I did was download Emril Lagase's gumbo recipe.  It's really EASY..  The roux is easy too. It just takes about 25 minutes of constant stirring.  But, after that, it's gumbo heaven.

excon
      January 7, 2017 10:01 AM MST

• I've had it made by people who know what they're doing and the flavors were so perfectly put together that I know it would take me a while to get it to theirs or your level. Same with paella. 
    I did tackle Chili tho. And that took me about six months to get it right and always the same. 
    I think im going to look into this gumbo, Ex, you have inspired me. )
      January 7, 2017 10:07 AM MST

great with instant oatmeal
    haha
      January 7, 2017 9:40 AM MST

• At least you know that much, B. 
    Im sure there's people who wouldn't be able to even do that. 
    How bout the quintessential noodles? Im sure you can cook that?  ))
      January 7, 2017 9:51 AM MST

you mean those cups of Ramen noodles
    you pour hot water into? yeah no problem. haha
      January 7, 2017 9:56 AM MST

• No, no, no, those are gross. I mean these.
    Or these. 
      January 7, 2017 10:10 AM MST

those are a bit harder
    one must put that stuff into a bowl
    but yeah, I can manage those . yuck, haha.
      January 7, 2017 12:15 PM MST

• That's funny B. Thanks.
      January 7, 2017 1:10 PM MST

My only job in the kitchen is eating. 
    ~

• Apparently only sandwiches (lol).
      January 7, 2017 11:46 AM MST

LOL, no, the sammiches are a common and oft-recurring theme of mine here on AM, but I eat all different kinds of foods.

:)
      January 7, 2017 11:48 AM MST

• my type of cooking- throw a TV dinner in the microwave for 4 minutes and than BAM!! a good home cooked meal 
      January 7, 2017 10:46 AM MST

• Thats good. )
    Hey, you cooked it at home right?? 
    Home cooked!
      January 7, 2017 10:50 AM MST

• well. home heated up is more like it!! ha
      January 7, 2017 10:51 AM MST