Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Slartibartfast
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » Have you ever rented a property?

Have you ever rented a property?

Good? A nightmare?

Posted - January 7, 2017

Responses

Once. But then I became a landlord of many units. After 10 years I got out of the business because I got tired of all the bull that tenents come up with! 
      January 7, 2017 11:10 AM MST

• Yes.   It sucks.
      January 7, 2017 11:19 AM MST

That's what I figured.
      January 7, 2017 11:22 AM MST

• It's like everything else.
      January 7, 2017 12:24 PM MST

I bought a condo in PA about 6 years ago.  My first tenant, who lived there for five years, wasn't too bad.  She had a few small things that needed fixing.  Other than paying the rent a few days late on occasion, which she always notified me in advance that it would happen, she was OK. 

Now I have it rented to a young man who moved in four months ago with a 5-year old son and he's already complained about the kitchen cabinets being old, that he can't keep his too-big patio table out on the common lawn (the grass can't be mowed properly) that he can't keep his kid's toys all over the common side area overnight, that he can't park his company flatbed tow truck in the common parking area overnight and he's not happy that he can't use the fireplace (which I specified in the lease is prohibited).  This guy is too irresponsible for me to be comfortable with him building fires.  This past week,  he emailed me that the shelf in a closet came out of the wall, brackets and all.  The handyman told me that he has so much stuff on that shelf that it was amazing it took so long to fall down. 

His lease is up at the end of August and I'm not at all inclined to renew, assuming he wants to, because I will either rent it to (hopefully) more responsible tenants or, if I retire in February, possibly move down there myself.
    X
      January 7, 2017 11:21 AM MST

What a jerk.
      January 7, 2017 11:24 AM MST

He just doesn't think rules apply to him in spite of being supplied with the condo regs before he signed his lease.
      January 7, 2017 11:55 AM MST

• Love it.
      January 7, 2017 12:25 PM MST

He sounds like a nightmare and I would not renew his lease if I were you.
    My ex-husband was a handyman and any rented property we lived on, was taken care of by us.
    We would do all repairs and painting needed to keep the rent down and make the place our own.
    Owners loved us because we saved them money.
      January 26, 2017 9:24 AM MST

He has offered to make repairs, his charge for which would be deducted from his rent, but I have no idea how good he is at maintenance so I have not taken him up on his offers.  I know the handyman on the premises does excellent work at a more than fair price, so I use him.
      January 26, 2017 10:55 AM MST

Stick with what you know.
    He could make it worse and then you would have to pay to get it redone.
      January 26, 2017 11:03 AM MST

That is correct and, not only that, it could invalidate my home insurance policy to have an unqualified person make certain repairs.
      January 26, 2017 11:04 AM MST

True, and you don't want that.
      January 26, 2017 11:06 AM MST

No, I definitely don't.
      January 27, 2017 8:44 AM MST

• I personally never rented... but I grew up in a rented accommodation.. most working class people did back then... and well, it was good and bad...  I remember that everytime something went wrong we had to wait sometimes weeks for a repair man...  OK so not everyone can fix things but very frustrating to have to wait for essential things like the boiler being broken, or the bath not being able to be used..  and there were limits on what you could do.. you could decorate etc.. but I know now that some places you cannot even paint or decorate how you like... 
      January 7, 2017 1:06 PM MST

no, just an apartment, dont have the money to rent a property
      January 7, 2017 1:38 PM MST

Three times and all were temporary situations; one was in college when we rented a duplex in Auburn, one was in California while I was out there with my daughter,  and the other was to live in while I learned my new city and tried to sell my house back home while finding a new one to buy.  
      January 7, 2017 3:39 PM MST

Yes and it sucked every time except once.  I have lived in places where I have been robbed, where the heat and hot water would go out for days on end, where I had neighbors stay up all night and keep me up....

January 26, 2017 9:58 AM MST