Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Politics » What does Russia have we want so much we need stronger relations?

What does Russia have we want so much we need stronger relations?

I'm scratching my head.

Posted - January 7, 2017

Responses

They reside on this planet. 
      January 7, 2017 4:09 PM MST

Not enough. Species exist on Earth I may never be made aware of.
      January 7, 2017 5:09 PM MST

• More mail order brides.
      January 7, 2017 4:10 PM MST

(Potentially) cheap oil.
      January 7, 2017 4:14 PM MST

Keep dreaming. Prices are set for reasons we know. No matter the supply or the source.
      January 7, 2017 4:38 PM MST

• As I understand it, OPEC has been setting the price,
    but Saudi Arabia is now quite happy to make unilateral decisions.
    Oil in the arctic has already increased the competition.
    Not that I think that's a good thing -
    too much global warming already from fossil fuels
    and far too much pollution and destruction involved in the extraction.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 7, 2017 10:42 PM MST
      January 7, 2017 10:38 PM MST

Would Russia save you from OPEC or become the new OPEC? History is clear in support for the latter. Different players. Same game.
      January 7, 2017 4:41 PM MST

• Assuming "we" means the USA because aM is mostly an American site and Trump is keen on Russia,
    Russia the ability to seriously infuence in the outcome of the crisis in Syria 
    and hence
    who controls trade through Tartus, Syria's Meditarranean port,
    and what happens to the hundreds of thousands of refugees and their impact on the countries they adopt.
    Undisturbed access to oil reserves under the sea where the Arctic Ice is melting further each Summer and not fully returning each Winter.
    A possible source of trade, because Russia could possibly want a lot of American products.
    A chance to reduce the proliferation of nuclear bombs and military tension. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 8, 2017 1:02 PM MST
      January 7, 2017 4:18 PM MST

So outside of Syria we don't need them. Oil reserves are to be had elsewhere. As far as possible source of trade? Pie in the sky for now. We have plenty of trading partners. Reducing nuclear proliferation? No chance. Both sides help countries beneficial to them gain nukes while stopping countries from having them that are not beneficial. A nuke is more playing card than weapon.
      January 7, 2017 4:37 PM MST

• It may seem unrealistic to think of trade with Russia, but so was the idea of trade with China thirty years ago, and now it represents a large fraction of total imports and exports. (15% for Australia. Don't know the US figure.)
    I don't think either Trump or Putin would be on such friendly terms unless they had already cemented agreements with each other. Trump's background in business suggests to me that there is little other likely motive.
    As to the idea that nuclear bombs are merely playing cards; I disagree. I think any single bomb is far too dangerous and expensive to be considered as just part of a strategy in a diplomatic game of power.
      January 9, 2017 7:26 PM MST

Trumps investments?
      January 7, 2017 4:37 PM MST

Aye, indeed.
      January 7, 2017 4:43 PM MST

• What is the big deal with Russia? Is it not a good thing to have good relations with the other people of our planet?
      January 7, 2017 4:44 PM MST

We have relations already. Why do you call for improvement?
      January 7, 2017 5:04 PM MST

• In general, it's better to have allies than enemies.
      January 7, 2017 5:56 PM MST