Jaimie
Zack - Mr. GenXer
PeaPod
Salt and Red Pepper
Lulu'sMom
Harry
Corey The Goofyhawk
Moi
pearl
SapphicHeart
TammyV2.0
President Mayhem vs. Sharonna
SA (SuperA)  :)
JimmyCrackCornButYouDon'tCare
thunder-wright
tropicalclock
Discussion » Questions » Sports » Have you ever shot a gun? If you have, what's the biggest gun youve ever fired? If you haven't, would you, given the chance?

Have you ever shot a gun? If you have, what's the biggest gun youve ever fired? If you haven't, would you, given the chance?

• 1103
    I initially neglected to say thank you, that's all.
    But I'm not gonna lie. I think, yet again, you have inspired me. (We'll decide at a later date if this particular inspiration is a Good Idea. Lock and load)

)
    0

• 693
    I've never fired a gun; I've never even held one. I might be willing some day, but at the moment I'm not interested. 
    1

• 2488
    You know?
    Im surprised at how many people have actually fired a weapon. I thought the majority would be people like you.
    Not disregarding you in any way. Just an observation.  )
    Thanks.
    1

• 622
    I did my national service training in 1956 and at that time we were still using Lee Enfield .303 rifles, Bren guns, and Owen sub-machine guns. I fired all three, of course, but the Bren would have been the biggest.

Even so, it's a funny thing about size: if you don't hit what you're aiming at the size doesn't count for much. Of course, you could always try a shotgun:
    2

• 963
    I'll pretend I'm Australian for a second (so read this with an Australian accent); thank you for your service mate!
    2

• 622
    Nice to hear in any accent, Tammy. Thanks. 
    1

• 2488
    Oh yeah!
    I've seen those, top magazine fed.  Ive always wondered if the magazine got in the way of aiming.
    Good clip MrD, thanks.
    1

• 622
    Surprisingly, not. There was an aperture site and they were so easy to use that even i could hit what I aimed at. :)
    2

• 16
    I was never in the service. I did spend a few summers, as a teenager, at a summer camp where there was a rifle range. I shot a .22 rifle during those summers. I did so again during a 6 week Riflery course in college.
    1

• 2488
    Really?
    I wonder if that would be an activity easily found in summer camps today.
    A Riflery course, eh? Did they teach you to shoot? Or was it more like history and stuff John?
    Thanks for responding btw. I appreciate it.
    1

• 2638
    yes!  I've used shotguns and rifles but never a handgun.  Guns aren't really my thing.  My boyfriend at the time loved them and had a few so I used to go out in the field and the woods shooting with him.  It was kind of fun and surprisingly, I was a pretty good shot.  I couldn't tell you specifically what kind they were though because I'm pretty clueless when it comes to weaponry.
    2

• 2488
    You say your ex loved them. You know? I heard a lot of people say that, and to an extent I understand, but I see them more as a tool. Like a hammer or a glue gun. Just a little deadlier. )
    Thanks for responding WW

2

• 1094
    Yes. the handle is heavy and the barrel is a fine handle for using it as a hammer. Only problem I see is those very sensitive triggering mechanisms, if it fires when hitting the nail you will probably shoot yourself in the stomach.
    2

• 2638
    Good one, JakobA!

0

• 3128
    no cause i hate guns
    0

• 2488
    Lots of people share your feelings Ms pearl, thanks .
    0

• 5430
    I've fired many weapons of varying types and calibers, the majority of which during my three tours of duty in the US Marine Corps.  The largest weapon I've ever fired was the M-60E Machine Gun, 7.62mm NATO round.  I've also fired the M-203 Grenade Launcher, 40mm.  As far as size reference between the two, being different types of weapons, it's difficult to say which is "bigger", because the machine gun is larger, longer and heavier than the grenade launcher (which itself is mounted on the M-16A1 Semiautomatic Rifle, but the grenade launcher's impact differs in blast radius.  

(I may have also at one point fired the M-2 Heavy Machine Gun, .50 cal., but I don't remember for sure.)

~
    0

• 2488
    Oh man, that's about right there Randy. 
    At one point or another, I carried one of those. Started with the A2,  then on to the 40 Mike Mike , and as the biggest guy, ended up with the 60. 
    I loved carrying the 60. It is , to me, the signature combat weapon. It has a sound like nothing else.
    Cha cha cha cha cha cha cha cha, you know? Compared to the thud thud thud thud thud thud thud of the 50.
    Too bad all that exists only within the context of combat.
    Thank you Randy. Seeing that sixty, gave me a weird feeling in the stomach. This post was edited by Lago at January 9, 2017 8:14 AM MST
    1

• 5430
    Are you an Army vet, Lago?
    ~
    1

• 1103
    My father was a Navy man, he joined in '39 and was part of thef flotilla that escorted the bomb in '45.
    He died when I was 16. I remember him telling me about being hit by the Kamikaze. The engine room was like something out of Dante, I remember him saying, so few things now.
    He became a marine engineer when he decommissioned. Always a Navy man though.
    0

• 2488
    That's a very touching answer, L, the bit about the things you remember him saying now. If the question in all its silliness had any value, was for you to share that. 
    That's what the whole thing is about.
    Thanks My dear friend.
    0

• 2937
    12 gauge shotgun
    30/30 rifle
    1

• 2488
    I have a feeling you didn't have a problem with either of those.
    Thanks My
    0

• 249
    Once upon a time, I had a go on the Army Cadets rifle range.

They eventually found out that I wasn't actually in the Cadets...
    0

• 2488
    Wow really?
    Thanks M.
    0