Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Is Victor Hugo the greatest writer of all time?

Is Victor Hugo the greatest writer of all time?

Posted - January 8, 2017

Responses

• Meh. He's ok.
      January 8, 2017 9:58 AM MST

No.   Trump is.  And that ghostwriter that wrote his wife's speech. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 8, 2017 5:36 PM MST
      January 8, 2017 10:00 AM MST

• In my opinion, that would be Stephen King. 
      January 8, 2017 10:41 AM MST

• One of many great writers! Don't forget Dean Koontz! 
      January 9, 2017 7:22 AM MST

• I'm not a huge Koontz fan. Bentley Little is pretty good. Have you read any of his? He is almost as deranged as King. :)
      January 9, 2017 7:24 AM MST

• Oh yes ! Bentley Little is great ! Clive Barker isn't too bad either !
      January 9, 2017 7:31 AM MST

• I've read a few Clive Barker's......He's a good one as well. 
      January 15, 2017 4:18 PM MST

• He was pretty good but there's tons of competition for the top spot. He was a bit gloomy for my taste. Even if you confine yourself to French writers he'd be only one of several. 

Mind you, Hugo's Hunchback of Notre Dame has added to my personal chagrin. I have a large, fatty lump on my back that my doctor diagnosed as a lipoma. Mrs Didge, who fancies herself as a pretty good diagnostician in her own right, declared that I was suffering from QMS. Yeah, yeah, you can ask. It's QuasiModo Syndrome.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 9, 2017 9:38 AM MST
      January 8, 2017 1:18 PM MST

You're too much !!  I have JVJ Syndrome.  Jean Valjean Syndrome.
      January 8, 2017 3:53 PM MST

• I would have to go with Herman Melville and Jules Verne myself. Some of the greatest stories I've ever read!
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 9, 2017 9:38 AM MST
      January 9, 2017 7:29 AM MST

OMG.........Moby Dick???? I read it.......to my chagrin....I struggled and struggled & was bound to finish it, and I did, hating everything about it.

and it was THAT book that changed my mind about 'forcing' myself to read something that wasn't at ALL interesting to me!!!

life's too short, I said!!  indeed!!!!!!

never read "20,000" but I;m sure it'd NOT be my 'cup of tea'...........I applaud you for enjoying Moby........just that I NEVER could appreciate it.....

cheers!!!!!!

:-D
      January 9, 2017 8:20 AM MST

• 'Moby Dick" is just a ploy for teachers to bore and torment students. 
      January 9, 2017 9:16 AM MST

there's NO SUCH THING as the 'greatest' in ANYTHING......ANYTHING AT ALL!!!!!

THERE can only be 'among the greatest'.

I read Les Miserables, complete and unabridged, and loved it.........

I also feel that Proust is incredibly magnificent, but he puts many to sleep; their loss!!!

and Stephen Kind? I FORCED myself to read "under the dome" and finally got thru it.....his writing is sophomoric at best......appeals to the public, which is not a bad thing, but please don't call it 'great writing'...

and the BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT TO ME WAS............"The Great Gatsby"......ALL my life I'd heard about this 'great novel' and finally read it...........

GOOD GRIEF.......it was awful!!!!!!!......I struggled thru it, which I usually do not do........why waste your time? but because it was such a slim volume, slogged thru it..............

it reminded me of the writing that a high school student would do in beginning composition class!!

so if anyone out there can please explain to me why this is such a great novel, I will be glad to listen!!!!

Got off topic, but that's  how I am!!!!!!!  LOL    :-D

anyway, to each their own, right? and please, no nasty replies about my taste in books!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

:-D again.............!!!!
      January 9, 2017 8:26 AM MST

• This is the greatest message ever.
      January 9, 2017 9:14 AM MST

• This is too subjective. Hugo was a fine writer, but was he the most prolific? No, many writers have exceeded his literary output. Nor is he the most renowned, I'd say Shakespeare probably holds that title. No writer has been more successful in his own lifetime than Stephen King. 
      January 15, 2017 6:47 PM MST