Discussion » Questions » Names » The AnswerMug Challenge Series, Win Points For Your Name Edition:

The AnswerMug Challenge Series, Win Points For Your Name Edition:

How many letters in your (real) first name are there in common with your (real) surname?  Win points for the highest number, BUT, you have to follow the complicated rules below.

RULES
1.  This challenge is based on your current real and legal name. You are NOT being asked to post your real name, that information is private, we don't know your real name, so your honesty and integrity are key here.

2. If you have a middle name, nickname, pet name, stage name, pen name, alias, etc; they cannot be used as part of this challenge. Hyphenated names, either first or surname, can be used (Mary-Kate or Martinez-Gomez).

3. If you have ever legally changed your name, either first name or last name, you can only use one first name and one last name for this challenge.
For example, married women who took their husband's last name may choose between their maiden last names or married last names, but not both. Subsequently, with multiple name-changes based on several marriages, only one surname can be used here. People who legally changed their first names because of immigration or other reasons must also select one name, either the original or the new one, but not both. 

4. Letters that appear multiple times in one name each count separately, such as Sally Wellingham -- letter L = 4.

5.  The lowest possible score is zero (no letters in common), the next possible score is two (at least 2 letters in common).

6.  I think the rules are confusing enough: let's play. 

My score is 2.
~

Posted - January 8, 2017

Responses

Wait, the lowest possible score is zero (no letters in common), the next possible score is two (2 letters in common).

~
      January 8, 2017 4:32 PM MST

Your rules are wrong so I changed them. You asked how many letters in my first name are also in my last name and the answer is one.  I really don't care if Sally Wellington can't count. 
      January 8, 2017 4:38 PM MST

What's wrong about the rules?
    -
      January 8, 2017 4:38 PM MST

Wait, the lowest possible score is zero (no letters in common), the next possible score is two (2 letters in common).

~
      January 8, 2017 4:32 PM MST

Umm, the rules are confusing.

My legal first name which I never use one A and one L.  My married last name has two As and two Ls so not sure how to add up that score.
      January 8, 2017 5:18 PM MST

Shh. It will be four, Miss.
      January 8, 2017 5:22 PM MST

Thanks, don't tell Randy I got the answer from you.  I would like to stay out of the principal's office today.
      January 8, 2017 5:25 PM MST

Yus. Rules are rules, even if we don't get them straight. Ugh. I have such problems with straight. Oomph.
      January 8, 2017 5:30 PM MST

It doesn't matter whether or not you use the name, nor does it matter that you do not like the name.  

You've done very well, Young Lady.  Your score is 4.

~
      January 8, 2017 8:51 PM MST

Isn't her score 6? 
    A,L in first (2)
    2 As, 2 Ls in last (4)
    2+4=6
      February 1, 2017 9:02 AM MST

I have 5. (S in each (2), E--1 in first and 2 in last (3))
    This post was edited by my2cents at January 8, 2017 10:53 PM MST
      January 8, 2017 9:04 PM MST

:)
      January 8, 2017 9:10 PM MST

How can a score become unequal, quiz master?
      January 8, 2017 10:53 PM MST

Easily: the only improbable score is 1, because it means only one instance of a letter appearing, and if only once, it's not in both the first and last name.  However, a letter might appear an odd number of times.

Example: Stephen Gregory has the letter E 3 times.  His total score would be 3.

~
      January 8, 2017 11:00 PM MST

Oomph. Back counting again. These rules are really not that obvious. *pouts*
      January 8, 2017 11:05 PM MST

I can't believe I choose this as my first morning question... It's a good one... But, what was I thinking?  Math, coffee, and Don to work on time??  *stretches and giggles*

Mine is 2

Maybe I didn't read the directions correctly.  I have a few little questions to go with the instructions.

What is the goal?  To have the highest or the lowest?
    Calling it a challenge indicates there is a reward for winning.  Do we know what that is?

Please know, I'm not being petty.  I'm just curious as to the significance of the actions.
    Is there a hidden message in our names we don't know about?

This post was edited by Merlin at February 1, 2017 11:20 PM MST
      February 1, 2017 8:29 AM MST

I don't want his rewards. I know what happened to Grilly, who was the last one he "rewarded" with his attention here. He is dangerous, run while you can, don't engage with him or any of his tildes, just saying. Run... run... never look back over your shoulders! ;-)
      February 3, 2017 1:06 AM MST