Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Is there anything you did as a child for which you kept getting into trouble, but kept doing it?

Is there anything you did as a child for which you kept getting into trouble, but kept doing it?

When I was little, twelve years old maybe, I use to go to the bus terminal and pick a bus. It didn't matter which, as long as I had never been there before. I would plan everything just so that I still had time to take a bus back. I liked to walk around New places, that was all. 
Sometimes I didnt make it and had to call my mother.
Hardest. . . phone . . .call. . . ever.
You?

Posted - January 8, 2017

Responses

• As a matter of fact I used to do that exact same thing and got in trouble for it quite often.
      January 8, 2017 10:48 AM MST

• Really!?
    All my life I thought I was the only one. 
    I wonder how many kids do this and why. 
    Thanks Glis. )
      January 8, 2017 11:10 AM MST

• For  a dollar total I could go anywhere in the county and get back.  Sometimes I wouldn't even get off the bus except for transfers.  Just window gaze at the new places.   There was a bus stop down my street. 
    I made a question about doing it on the last site I was on in fact.
    For me I had a strong sense of adventure and it satisfied that I guess.  I had a friend I would often do it with.  We would dig change out of cushions and stuff and then if we were short we would stand by the gumball machines at the drug store and eventually some adult would give us a quarter or some change for one and we would have the fair eventually.  It was fun.
      January 8, 2017 11:18 AM MST

• It was, like you say, a great adventure. I derived a strong satisfaction from knowing that nobody in the whole world knew where I was, a magnificent sense of freedom. Very foolish of me now that I think of it. 
    I still do it, I just don't take the bus anymore. 
      January 8, 2017 11:25 AM MST

• I used to ride my bike all over the green Earth too.    When they put bike racks on the front of buses when  we were kids it was a dream come true.
      January 8, 2017 11:30 AM MST

• Oh the bike years. 
    Of course, of course.
    I was too tall for the twenty inch bicycles, so I had one of those ten speeders with the skinny tires. 
    And although it was tall, it wasn't built for the punishment I put it thru. So, many times I'd leave the house on it, and come back carrying it. Enter the bus. )
      January 8, 2017 11:37 AM MST

• I was tallish at the age but I never sat down on my bikes.  BMX with dropped down seat all day and standing on the peddles. For awhile when I was really into tricks I didn't even have my seat on except when doing flatland tricks.   So many bruises and broken/sprained ankles.
      January 8, 2017 11:44 AM MST

• That's good ). 
    You were one of "those" kids.
    I was able to do a wheelie, which was incredibly difficult for me and for no longer than maybe ten pedals. Otherwise I was dirt bound. I tried, I was just not built for those things I suppose. )
      January 8, 2017 11:53 AM MST

• I was, but was only okay at it and got hurt a lot. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 8, 2017 10:06 PM MST
      January 8, 2017 11:56 AM MST

• That's the price we pay to be cool I suppose. 
    If you were riding around without a seat you were more than ok. Nothing wrong with that. )
    (I was the kid with the after market extra wide seat on his bike ) 
    Thanks for the memories man. 

January 8, 2017 12:08 PM MST

My mother always warned me that if I spent too much time studying grammar, it would make me weird. I kept sneaking off to grammar classes behind her back. I think I've turned out normal, though. Don't you agree?

~
      January 8, 2017 10:49 AM MST

• Yes I do. Agree that is.
    That's funny Randy, Thanks.
      January 8, 2017 11:11 AM MST

Breathing. That got me into trouble a lot. My parents were the strict type that probably shouldn't have had kids. I got in trouble for everything, but probably the dumbest thing I was repeatedly scolded for was that I breathed too loud. I suspect my loud breathing was the result of my allergies and sinus issues that went untreated throughout my childhood, but my parents seemed certain it was a discipline problem and me just being an annoying kid. I didn't dare misbehave because I'd be punished for the most miniscule things. My goal as a child was to be as quiet as possible and hopefully remain under their radar. 
      January 8, 2017 11:02 AM MST

:(
      January 8, 2017 11:06 AM MST

You're sad I kept breathing?!? Of all the low-down, dirty, underhanded things. :o
    ;)
      January 8, 2017 11:07 AM MST

Hey, wait . . 

~
      January 8, 2017 10:06 PM MST

• Oh man, that's horrible. But I can relate.
    There was one floor board, right in front of my mother's bedroom, that creaked. When barefoot, I would always walke on my tippy toes to make no noise. To this day, if distracted, I still walk on my toes when barefoot in the house.
    Do you breath extra loud now or do you find yourself still doing the quiet breathing?
    Thanks for responding btw.
      January 8, 2017 11:20 AM MST

It's funny how things carry into adulthood.
    At the time, I wasn't capable of "breathing quietly." It was sinus-related. There's really no way to breathe quieter when your breathing is obstructed. I take daily allergy medicine now and that fixed it... I think. lol Nobody in my adult life has ever scolded me for breathing too loudly. O_o
      January 9, 2017 4:23 PM MST

Wait, don't you remember that time back in Reno when your big bazoo almost got us caught during a late-night heist and the security guards were looking for us in that dark warehouse?  I told you a million times it would never work as long as that buzz saw was going off every time you inhaled and exhaled. 

"Nobody in my adult life has ever told me."
     Yeah, right!

~
      January 9, 2017 6:03 PM MST

• I had the same issue. I didn't want to wear glasses, because I couldn't breath. So whenever I wore them, I had to breath thru my mind, which in mi mind made me look mentally handicapped.
    I did give my mother the ,"I told you" look when the doctor said I had nose troubles. So I had my tiny victory. Thanks for responding J.
      January 11, 2017 4:12 PM MST

Sneaking out my window to hang with friends. My childhood was a mess, a lot of violence. I snuck out to find peace.
      January 8, 2017 11:42 AM MST

• That's how it is some times, Dragon, I think that's why I took the bus, you know? To be out of the house. 
    Thanks D.
      January 9, 2017 7:51 AM MST

I understand. I'd have taken the bus to if i could have. You're welcome. 
      January 9, 2017 8:07 AM MST

Nope. However, I was screwing up all over the place. Not just for one particular thing.
      January 8, 2017 11:45 AM MST