Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » I expect that being in the military and fighting in battles that are deadly changes you. Are any of the changes positive /beneficial? How?

I expect that being in the military and fighting in battles that are deadly changes you. Are any of the changes positive /beneficial? How?

Posted - January 9, 2017

Responses

• The only positive thing I think I got out of it was that I grew up real fast! From an 18 year old kid to a full out man. I can't think of anything else that's positive about it unless you count nightmares, paranoia and PTSD as positive and I sure as hell don't.
      January 9, 2017 6:29 AM MST

I am so sorry m'dear. I cannot imagine the horrors of that and I have a very good imagination. It is a price too many of our troops pay that is much too much to ask. I don't know how you and your buddies survived it intact. I wonder if anyone comes back from that unscathed? Are there folks who get off on war and find it exciting/exhilarating?  If so I think they must be mentally defective because they are emotionally absent. I'm glad you survived and that you're here and I can only hope one day those nightmares, paranoia PTDS get less and less over time. I don't know how that works but I hope in your case it will. Thank you for sharing what must be a very hard thing to recollect. Although it's always with you I guess. :( You were 18?  Geez what a way to grow up fast. Not my first choice for anyone.                                        
      January 9, 2017 6:46 AM MST

• 40 some odd years ago but the memories are still very vivid. Yes, there were those that really got off on it and they were the ones you stayed as far away from as possible!
      January 9, 2017 6:57 AM MST

That long ago m'dear and you still are suffering? That is not right. That is not fair.  I know no one says life is fair but that is just too much. You put your life on the line for your country and the reward you get for it if you survive is the rest of your life is changed and not for the better. No one signs up for that.
      January 9, 2017 7:13 AM MST

Hello Rosie:

I appreciate warriors like Rooster, who took the fight to the enemy on the ground, and looked them in the eye..  Me??  I didn't wanna DO that.  I fought my war from the cleanliness of my ship, and I have NO idea if I killed anybody..  I'd spend the morning doing shore bombardment, and then I went to chow. 

I never suffered any of the downsides of war, like my brothers on the ground did.  That probably has more to do with my UN-worldliness at 17, than my callousness, though..

excon

This post was edited by excon at January 9, 2017 7:13 AM MST
      January 9, 2017 7:06 AM MST

Geez excon you were only 17?  A baby. Thank you for your service to our country my friend and for your reply.   Happy Monday! :)                                                          
      January 9, 2017 7:14 AM MST

i dont think so, i wouldnt want to fight in wars myself
      January 9, 2017 3:53 PM MST

From what I have observed about war veterans i have concluded that going to war was the worst decision they could have made. My stepfather was in Korea and for most of his life he never wanted to talk about the trauma he suffered. Nobody realized how tortured he was, incredibly he is also one of the kindest men i have ever known. Later on in his life he finally started opening up. He now has full blown alzheimers. No doubt in part as a result of the horrors of war. What an evil world, no doubt controlled by evil invisible forces. (1john 5:19) This post was edited by Autumnleaves at January 10, 2017 12:10 AM MST
      January 10, 2017 12:08 AM MST