Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » How is it possible to "respect the office" when you don't respect the person who holds that job/title? I don't get it. Do you?

How is it possible to "respect the office" when you don't respect the person who holds that job/title? I don't get it. Do you?

Posted - January 9, 2017

Responses

It is not hard. But if you would seriously like to know here is some good free instructions The Series is called Honor to Whom Honor is Due:

http://flcbranson.org/php/mlmMediaChannelCollectionContentList.php?site=flcb&channelID=1&languageID=EN&collectionID=127&collectionName=Honor%20To%20Whom%20Honor
      January 9, 2017 4:20 AM MST

Good morning Rosie.

Sure I do.

Did you ever have a boss you couldn't stand?  I have.  It sucks. 
    But, I recognized that his job was important to the existence of the company and, in turn, my pocket. 

Same thing with Trump.  The position is important.  

I am hopeful we come out relatively unscathed at the end of his term.  However, I do fear the Great Pumpkin with his hair trigger temper will be the undoing of this country. 
      January 9, 2017 4:35 AM MST

Apparently Meryl Streep upset PET by her words at the Golden Globes Sunday night and instead of ignoring her he makes a big deal out of it on Twitter. How unseemly is that? This is how he spends his time. Gettingbackat . When will he have time for anything else since so many people despise him and are just waiting for his latest screw up to pounce. He is so predictable and easy to affect. Which I am certain is not lost on world leaders. Sadly.  To address you about your specific example. No. Absolutely NOT. I got a job as in-house accountant and found out within 3 days that the VP of Finance, my boss, didn't know his a** from a hole in the ground information wise. He told me to make some journal entries that were clearly wrong and I didn't do it. I gave notice the first week to the secretary of the President and told her why. Unbeknown to me they were already in the process of seeking a replacement for him. I was asked to hang in and I did. But I don't fake anything Harry. If the holder of the office is crap the office means nothing. It will be crap as long as that person is there.  Therefore there is nothing to respect. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to you m'dear! :)
      January 9, 2017 6:36 AM MST

We need to pray and try to show respect. 
    EDIT: (I meant to also say that when mans laws do not violate God's laws then we are suppose to follow mans laws but some things man doesn't have the right to demand or forbid such as the preaching work as seen in Acts 5.)

(Romans 13:1-7) Let every person be in subjection to the superior authorities, for there is no authority except by God; the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God. 2 Therefore, whoever opposes the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God; those who have taken a stand against it will bring judgment against themselves. 3 For those rulers are an object of fear, not to the good deed, but to the bad. Do you want to be free of fear of the authority? Keep doing good, and you will have praise from it; 4 for it is God’s minister to you for your good. But if you are doing what is bad, be in fear, for it is not without purpose that it bears the sword. It is God’s minister, an avenger to express wrath against the one practicing what is bad. 5 There is therefore compelling reason for you to be in subjection, not only on account of that wrath but also on account of your conscience. 6 That is why you are also paying taxes; for they are God’s public servants constantly serving this very purpose. 7 Render to all their dues: to the one who calls for the tax, the tax; to the one who calls for the tribute, the tribute; to the one who calls for fear, such fear; to the one who calls for honor, such honor.
    (Titus 3:1) Continue reminding them to be in subjection and to be obedient to governments and authorities, to be ready for every good work,
    (Acts 5:27-29) So they brought them and stood them before the Sanʹhe·drin. Then the high priest questioned them 28 and said: “We strictly ordered you not to keep teaching on the basis of this name, and yet look! you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching, and you are determined to bring the blood of this man upon us.” 29 In answer Peter and the other apostles said: “We must obey God as ruler rather than men.

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2016126?q=%22WHEN+SOMEONE+IN+AUTHORITY+SEEMS+UNWORTHY+OF+RESPECT%22&p=par

WHEN SOMEONE IN AUTHORITY SEEMS UNWORTHY OF RESPECT

Although God had anointed Saul, Jonathan’s father, to be king, Saul later became disobedient and was rejected by Jehovah. (1 Sam. 15:17-23) Since God did not immediately remove Saul from the throne, his misconduct tested his subjects and all who were close to him. They faced the challenge of being loyal to God while the king, who sat on “Jehovah’s throne,” followed a wayward course.—1 Chron. 29:23.

6. What shows that Jonathan stayed loyal to Jehovah?

When Saul first manifested a disobedient spirit, his son Jonathan proved to be loyal to Jehovah. (1 Sam. 13:13, 14) The prophet Samuel had said: “For the sake of his great name, Jehovah will not abandon his people.” (1 Sam. 12:22) Jonathan showed that he believed this when a vast Philistine army with 30,000 war chariots threatened Israel. Saul had just 600 men—and only he and Jonathan had weapons! Yet, Jonathan approached a Philistine outpost with only his armor-bearer at his side. “Nothing can hinder Jehovah from saving by many or by few,” said Jonathan. The two Israelites struck down about 20 men at the outpost. Then “the earth began quaking, and a terror from God ensued.” In confusion, the Philistines turned on one another. Thus, Jonathan’s faith in God led to victory.—1 Sam. 13:5, 15, 22; 14:1, 2, 6, 14, 15, 20.

7. How did Jonathan treat his father?

Even as Saul’s relationship with God deteriorated, Jonathan cooperated with his father whenever possible. For example, they fought together in defense of God’s people.—1 Sam. 31:1, 2.

8, 9. How are we being loyal to God when we respect those who have authority?

Like Jonathan, we can prove ourselves loyal to Jehovah by being in relative subjection to the superior authorities, as God requires, even if some seem unworthy of respect. For example, a government official may be corrupt, but we still respect his position because we are in relative subjection to governmental “superior authorities.” (Read Romans 13:1, 2.) In fact, all of us can prove loyal to Jehovah by respecting those to whom he gives authority.—1 Cor. 11:3; Heb. 13:17.

This post was edited by texasescimo at January 11, 2017 6:35 AM MST
      January 9, 2017 6:04 AM MST

I totally disagree. So you would show respect to the devil then tex? Donald J. Trump is an evil man and represents the Devil. I don't think God wants to respect evil people do you? Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday.
      January 9, 2017 6:37 AM MST

Sorry, I thought you believed the Bible? You've said you are a Christian, from where do you get your Christian beliefs?

The scriptures I quoted said nothing about respecting the devil, did they? I believe that Trump is misled by the devil like all other politicians but I am not the judge.
      January 11, 2017 6:23 AM MST

I do not respect the office if the person holding is evil and an arm of the Devil. What does that have to do with being Christian? You do know that some people believe that every word in the Bible is the word of God. Other Christians know that many different m en over many different years with m any different agendas decided what to include and what to exclude from the Bible. We are all Christians tex. We just approach it differently and just because approach different from me I would never question your being a Christian as you have just done with me. That is insulting and I cannot believe you would do that. But you did it. I am very disappointed in you. God gave us a brain with which we are supposed to think. We don't always get everything right but why would God give us a brain He does not expect us to use if all we have to do is memorize the Bible and use that as our only guide in life? God made all of us. Are you saying you don't like how he made me? Really? Well then take it up with Him not me. I'm not the one that created me. He did. Yes I'm very hurt and actually surprisingly angry at you.
      January 11, 2017 6:32 AM MST

Why are you again twisting what I said? You turned my 3 questions into a whole paragraph of accusations. Are you really comfortable with that?
      January 11, 2017 6:39 AM MST

Tex, I am a non-believer.  With that said, I admire your presentation of one of the more cohesive arguments I have seen from an adherent.
      January 9, 2017 8:15 AM MST

Thank you Harry.
      January 11, 2017 6:20 AM MST

Happy Monday back at ya Rosie!

I get what you are saying but I guess the difference between us is that I don't equate the office with the person who holds it.  In your personal situation, the position itself that your numbnuts boss held was very important to the overall health of the company, not the man who held it. The fact that they replaced him and didn't do away with the job entirely tells us that.   BTW, you were in a unique position.  The powers above your boss recognized his incompetence which enabled you to stay.  Lucky you!  

As far as the office of the President goes, I do respect the office.  There have been Presidents that I didn't like and couldn't respect (not as much as PET), but the office itself is one that I hold dear.  I truly revere it.   Maybe it stems from my schooling and the general childhood brainwashing I (and so many others) endured.  I dunno.  For me there has always been something awe inspiring in the highest office one can hold in this country, and with it, comes the greatest of power and influence. 

Sadly, we now have an egomaniacal narcissist who believes he can run the country the way he has run his life thus far.  If I believed in Heaven I would ask it to help us.

January 9, 2017 8:11 AM MST

SIGH. Troubling times are ahead for us Harry. Scary times. I personally am terrified. The man who will hold all the power was elected by those who think he can do no wrong. He has limitless power to do as he wishes. He has been carte blanche and I don't trust him at all one bit. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      January 11, 2017 6:35 AM MST

• Not everyone and everything that jabbers for respect deserves it.
      January 9, 2017 9:40 AM MST

Agreed! Thank you for your answer whistle and Happy Wednesday! :)
      January 11, 2017 6:36 AM MST

i dont get it either
      January 9, 2017 3:48 PM MST

True Christians will be obedient to God's word, trusting that the day will come when all injustice and unjust governments will be replaced with the messianic kingdom. (Matthew 6:9) This post was edited by Autumnleaves at January 11, 2017 6:37 AM MST
      January 9, 2017 11:46 PM MST

Thank you for your reply Autumn and Happy Wednesday to thee! :)
      January 11, 2017 6:37 AM MST

And many hugs to you rosie! :)))) oh wow! I hadn't noticed this post is from January!! Haha!!
      May 2, 2017 10:40 PM MDT

Time flies! Never too late my friend! Belated  smiles and hugs are always splendid to receive! Thank you Autumn! :):):) ((hugs))
      May 3, 2017 6:45 AM MDT

As this world continues to fall apart, we need to keep sharing that hope with others.
      May 2, 2017 4:08 AM MDT

Thanks tex, it's hard for many to accept bible truths, especially when false religion is at the forefront of the deceptions. The information you presented was as always informative as well as enlightening. All we can do is hope that one day soon someone embraces and believes God's word. 
      May 2, 2017 10:37 PM MDT

Respect has to be earned no matter who it is.
    That does not mean that we still don't have to follow the rules. But that does not mean that we have to respect those who make them.
      January 12, 2017 12:50 PM MST

• I do get it. Like it was mentioned above, I've had several bosses/supervisors who didn't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground. I still respected their positions though. 
      May 2, 2017 4:27 AM MDT