Adaydreambeliever
Baybreeze
VirginiaL
Malizz
catch224U
Jaimie
GoatJumper
Zack - Mr. GenXer
President Silly vs. Sharonna
Lulu'sMom
Just Asking
Harry
Merlin
SapphicHeart
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Have Bible prophecies ever served any useful purpose?

Have Bible prophecies ever served any useful purpose?

Other than to help convince some people that there MUST be a God...

Posted - January 9

• 449
    They served as a warning to oppressive and unjust rulers that they would get their comeuppance.

One or two of them repented in time.    
    This post was edited by Malizz at January 10, 2017 10:15 PM MST
    4

• 2279
    How did the rulers become aware of the warnings; a message to each individually or as a revelation of wisdom via studying the scriptures? 
    0

• 449
    Usually, the prophets spoke to them and in some cases were severely punished for their pains.

Some rulers had dreams.

There was also the famous 'writing on the wall'.  
    This post was edited by Malizz at January 9, 2017 7:50 AM MST
    1

• 2279
    Ok. That's interesting. 
    0

• 4080

John 13:19

Now I tell you before it come, that, when it is come to pass, ye may believe that I am he.

Bible says that is why He told us prophecy. 

4

• 2279
    All right.. although I do not think a supernatural power needs be required to enable a person to experience a vision of a future event. 
    1

• 4080
    I think God can provide visions to anyone so I agree anyone can have one but suspect we disagree on the source.
    2

• 2279
    Ok i wonder how Abraham Lincoln felt about experiencing a vision of the event of his own funeral.  Seemed he may not have taken it seriously as a warning. 
    He was assassinated 10 days later. 

I think it is more common than we realize that people experience visions of future events but usually something that will come to pass the following day or so. Detailed visions of events of distant future are extremely rare. This post was edited by Kittigate at January 9, 2017 7:52 AM MST
    0

• 4080
    Lincoln was given a warning (I believe from the Holy Spirit) and sadly he did not need it or perhaps he did but the assassination plan changed.  (Coincidentally the show Timeless I mentioned below touched on the Lincoln assassination in one show)
    1

• 4156
    So you question the existence of God, as per this and other comments of yours, but you believe that having visions of the future are possible. Am I wrong. It's ok if I am.
    0

• 2279
    Yes.. see my reply to  WW below.
    0

• 4247
    Hey Kittigate.  I'm only asking this because I'm curious and you mentioned something that intrigued me.  If visions of the future are experienced by someone what would be the power or source behind it if it wasn't supernatural?  It seems to me that any precognitive messages would have to be some sort of supernatural occurrence which would point to some sort of supernatural means by which it was relayed.  Unless we're just talking about a lucky guess which I don't think would count.  Please indulge me or correct me.  I'd love to hear your take on it in more detail.
    2

• 2279
    I took an interest some time ago in learning about the mechanics of a quantum state where the infinite past and infinite future exist in the present tense Ie.  superposition of time.. I think thereby a person's subconscious could be exposed to events of the future (since it already exists) wheather that is the following day,  10 days or hundreds of years into what we perceive as 'future' in our 3 dimensional existence. 
    2

• 4247
    Ok.  Gotcha.  Yes I failed to consider that and it is truly fascinating stuff.  At the quantum level of reality things can hold multiple places at once I believe.  It seems there are no rules at least not like we're accustomed to, lol.  I have seen this discussed in science programs dealing with time.  Time is a subject which fascinates me.  Thanks for shaking me out of my theology for a moment and reminding me that there is a scientific side to many things.  Of course you know we believers still like to say it's God's hand at work, but I digress.  I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me.  Sorry I butted in. 
    2

• 4080
    If you are I interested in time travel. You might find the show Timeless interesting. Has this guy going back in time to stop this global under-government group (Rittenhouse) by trying to change things in the past. And three others following him to stop him. Is quite interesting. Comes back on next Monday night (Jan 16) on NBC (9:00/10:00 central/eastern time)
    2

• 4247
    It is definitely a show I want to dive into.  I've just got to find the time.  LOL!  Oh my, that was a bad one.  Anyway, it does look interesting.
    1

• 2279
    Stephen Hawking is said to have hosted a party for time travellers.  He sent the invites out after the party was over so they could travel back in time to join the party. Nobody showed up. 
    What would you make of that?
    0

• 4080
    I think there is no time travel. 
    0

• 2279
    'Zactlee. 
    1

• 2279
    I am an atheist searching for evidence that a God may exist. Like things that occur in nature eg. how does a biting insect 'know' how to make blood thinners to make sipping your blood easier; how do snakes 'know' how to make toxins to disable their prey or how did the building blocks come together in proper order to enable life to begin from non-living matter..

I think of it as an 'intuitive consciousness' in nature. God? Maybe, I don't know. 
    0

• 4156
    Are you familiar with the huge amount of work done in the fields of philosophy and logic in reference to the existence of God?
    When you say searching for eidence, what does that mean?
    0

• 2279
    Evidence that would give me 100% assurance that supernatural/God exists. There are many 'things' and events that seem to defy a natural cause or explanation that I believe every person experiences in their lifetime.
    Stories from the scriptures which may or may not be true.

I would be interested in exploring the fields of philosophy and logic in reference to existence of God.
    I think it's kind of fun being an atheist though. I wouldn't know what to do with God if I found Him.
    0

• 559
    "I am an atheist searching for evidence that a God may exist" 
    Are you sure about that? You seem to be an atheist that is firmly convinced that God doesn't exist and tries to explain away any evidence that supports God's existence to enable your hold on your preconceived conclusion. Do you really see yourself as open minded?
    Please respond to those questions here:
    http://answermug.com/forums/topic/19245/god-did-not-create-heavens-earth-part-red-sea-say-and-do-many/view/post_id/151724/page/1
    0

• 4080
    If you seen the movie Interstellar?  You may find it interesting. Can't say much more without giving spoilers....
    1