Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » What is something you own, that were somebody to try and take from you, they would get this reaction?

What is something you own, that were somebody to try and take from you, they would get this reaction?

Posted - January 9, 2017

Responses

• If I don't know them, that's pretty much the standard response for anything I own.  :(
      January 9, 2017 11:05 AM MST

• Ha, good answer.
      January 9, 2017 11:12 AM MST

• My last cigarette.
      January 9, 2017 11:15 AM MST

• But who's got your lighter, tricky little devil that it is. So much searching, smile.
      January 9, 2017 12:50 PM MST

• Very good point,  )
      January 9, 2017 5:16 PM MST

• That's what I do.
      January 9, 2017 10:33 PM MST

• I get pretty protective when people mess with my tools.   My axes and chainsaws I don't even let anyone borrow or touch, PERIOD.
    Don't mess with my hunting, trapping, and fishing stuff either.
      January 9, 2017 11:59 AM MST

Wow, I didn't know you are Nigel Tufnel....;-D....

(esp. see about 1:00 in...;-D...)

January 9, 2017 12:08 PM MST

• It goes up to 11. ( I know the whole movie and seen by heart and don't even have to watch to know your analogy.)

Fact is tools are expensive, people misuse them, and don't return them.   Last time I let someone borrow one of my axes I'm fairly certain they used it to chop roots out of the ground.  I was done lending after that.
      January 9, 2017 12:14 PM MST

@Glis -- No, actually tools are (relative to average income) quite cheap and getting cheaper all the time.

Your actual complaint is the annoyance/time expenditure when people fail to return your tools and/or misuse them, and I do not deny those are significant.

However, if you were to let me borrow one of your tools, I would return to you in AT LEAST as good condition as when I borrowed it. That's how I was taught to behave.

My understanding of cross-cultural psychology research suggests my attitude towards borrowed items is FAR more common outside of North America, where people are less individualistic, less paranoid, and less prone to believe "I've upped mine...now UP YOURS" is the natural order of things (most Americans have NO ideal how much of an outlier Americans are on many psychological measures).

You are welcome to join my movement to both model pro-social borrowing behavior and to have some faith (even if often misplaced) that others will do likewise....;-D...

January 9, 2017 12:28 PM MST

• Please.    $200 for a quality ax I need for my own projects and work is not cheap especially when people don't know how to maintain and use it properly.
    $700 chainsaw that people will run ethanol gas and dig the bar into the dirt with?   Not cheap.

My Snap-on torque wrench was not cheap and again I need it to work correctly and not have to wonder if Billy damaged it using it as a hammer.  The whole ownership is theft and social borrowing model just ignores all human behavior and has way to many flaws to work.  it sounds nice, but in reality all indicators show it is doomed to failure.
    If i trust you, you can borrow my tools.  My sharp axes and chainsaws?   No way, to much experience has taught me people will abuse them and use them improperly and my money spent isn't for that or to correct that.  Either buy your own or work out a deal ( bartering is fine) for me to do that part for you.   I might even be willing to do it as a favor.

Your pipe dream world of  people can be trusted to consider your best interest just isn't reality.  Save your psychology alchemy for people who accept pseudo-science .

January 9, 2017 12:39 PM MST

@Glis -- Wow, that escalated quickly!

I can see why you need those expensive tools. The number of Straw Men you spend your time constructing requires them...;-D...

But, would you rather live in a world where you can trust people to borrow your tools, use them in a respectful manner, and return them, or would you not?

Research suggests other societies where people define their boundaries of "self" differently than Americans do, such a situation is possible.

I'm sorry your personal experience has made you bitter and cynical. On the other hand, if you didn't tie so much of your self-image into your ownership of "Mine's bigger/better/more expensive than yours" material objects, maybe you'd be a happier individual...;-D...
      January 9, 2017 1:08 PM MST

• Excuse me?   Who's making strawmen here????  Hmmmmm

You're arguing about ideals.  What is in an ideal world often isn't the reality.    In an ideal world no one would ever have to work,  food would be free, and everyone would agree on everything.   that's not reality.

I like your silly assumption that it's about me having the biggest and best to show off.   It's more likely I buy things based on what I need them for and being able to rely on them to function properly when I need them.  That's another problem with this we all own it and loan it Utopia.   I might not be using it now, but I might need it later and having to wait for it to be returned doesn't work.   When you need a 13mm wrench, need it now.   Not when it comes back.   It needs to always be available for it to serve it's purpose when these things are part of a job.   Sure I could buy a cheap Chinese knock off,  but the severely reduced quality means more work, more time, and if it breaks. Wasted time and lost money having to go replace it.   The trust it will work and be there when it's needed is important. Image has nothing to do with it.

Sorry, I'm just not the envious "I hate everything and everyone and I think what's yours should be ours so I can have it too" kind of person.  I'm not part of that victim culture and don't ride that BS high horse you're  speaking from.
      January 9, 2017 1:30 PM MST

• Mr School, if you don't mind me, butting in. 
    Since I don't have the out side of the States experience that you cite. And I don't have any information on it, I will gladly take your word for it. So I'll have to admit - and not without much difficulty actually - that somehow the prevalent culture of consumerism and me first mentality have made d***s out of most Americans. Let's say that's true.
    Of course you're right, it would be great if we lived in a society in which we didn't have to worry about some guy messing up my stuff, but at least here, as we have established, it is not that way. 
    So can we blame the man for reacting accordingly? Would you act differently?
    But again, you're right, if everybody was like you, and I say this without any hint of sarcasm, that would be great.
    I wouldn't have an issue letting you use any of my tools. Except my hammer. )
      January 9, 2017 5:41 PM MST

• Oh yes individuality is such a great evil.  We need more sheep.
      January 9, 2017 12:40 PM MST

• Hey man, I have a checkered face Fat Max with a nail groove at the top. A big ass hammer, I even refinished the handle and it is all shinny and pretty. I would let somebody borrow my car before I let anybody use that hammer. 
      January 9, 2017 5:26 PM MST

• You better not let Tammy find out.  I hear she has a Hammer fetish.
      January 9, 2017 5:28 PM MST

• Ha,
      January 9, 2017 5:43 PM MST

• I can understand that, there's always the concern, at least for me, that they wouldn't take as good care of them as I would were they to borrow them. Do you know what I mean?
      January 9, 2017 5:19 PM MST

• Despite what SKOS tried to make it into.   (smgdh)
    With the exception of my axes and saws I will lend out just about anything as long as I trust the person.   It's when people go into my tool boxes and just rummage around without asking that I get really pissy.  People like to steal chit or put them where I can't find them when I need them.  

The axes and saws have been returned dull or damaged way too often.   Really few people know how to take care of or how to properly use either. They do things like lean the bit on rock or dirt ( no,no,no!) or don't bother to flip the bar, sharpen the chain, or check bar oil.  Put 87 ethanol gas in them,  hit nails,  dig into wood too much and burn the clutch out.  Apparently I'm being ripped of though because in some magical land called Hawaii good tools are cheap and of no concern.
      January 9, 2017 5:27 PM MST

• Hey man, I got you.
    I don't know, it's easy for me, 
    Stay out of my stuff. Easy.
      January 9, 2017 5:45 PM MST

• Right,  if you can't ask or let me know chances are f***ery is afoot.
      January 9, 2017 5:51 PM MST

• Flattery?
      January 9, 2017 5:56 PM MST

Unlike a dog, I don't parade a material possession in front of people in the hopes he or she will try to take if from me so we can play "tug."

I suppose on a basketball court I might pump-fake with the ball in the hopes of tricking someone into getting out of proper defensive position, but that's about it.
      January 9, 2017 12:05 PM MST