Veena.K
Judas Goat
DWF
WingedWonder
CLURT
Beans/SilentGeneration
Nevan B
goody2shoos
Zack - Mr. GenXer
Jaimie
Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » What do you think of Meryl Streep, in her speech at the Golden Globes, painting herself and other Hollywood elites as victims?

What do you think of Meryl Streep, in her speech at the Golden Globes, painting herself and other Hollywood elites as victims?

She said, "You and all of us in this room, really, belong to the most vilified segments in American society right now. Think about it. Hollywood, foreigners, and the press."

Really? Seriously? No. Just no. The press and Hollywood are some of the most privileged segments of society. Whether you measure it in terms of cash money, prestige, fame, or an ability to fail year after year and get promoted, Hollywood and media elite do not get to cast themselves as victims.

Posted - January 9

• 761
    Hollywood is among the most out of touch idiots this nation has. They are the last on the list to be named as victims. I have more to say, but I'll be respectful to this site.
    5

• 377
    Do me a favor - go buy a dictionary (or google) and look up "vilify" and "victimize", ok? Then get back to us.
    2

• 3488
    Umm... please tell me you see the irony in vilifying her over her comment about celebs being vilified. 
    8

• 1001
    A fair point, lol. Never thought of that!
    1

• 4256
    Not a point at all.  I don't watch award shows anymore because the winners take the mic and give a political speech.  How arrogant to assume the country tunes into film awards to hear political BS.  The ratings never include me because I'm not there.  I read one line today about Streep talking about bullies and power.  She was doing exactly that.  
    2

• 806
    They're so far out of touch from reality, it's ridiculous. But I guess that's what happens to people who spend many years of pretending to be other people for a living. They become disillusioned.

I know (mostly) everybody with internet access will post their political opinion on some social media site at some point, but I find it quite sickening at how celebrities use their celebrity influence to deliberately promote their own political agenda because they know people will tune in to watch them. Streep's speech in particular. The Golden Globes is about movies. So her speech should be about movies. There's no reason whatsoever to bring Trump into it. Completely irrelevant. Just because she is at the very top of the movie business, it does not make whatever she spouts any more valid, or make her any more qualified than any other person, especially when it comes to a subject that's so subjective as politics.   
    7

• 6394
    Her remark had little to do with politics.  It was regarding Mr. Trump but It had to do with his lack of human kindness, love, or understanding. This post was edited by WingedWonder at May 5, 2017 1:08 AM MDT
    7

• 780
    She should have mentioned the young man who was kidnapped and tortured by those 4 sickos. if she wanted to be angry about something

She was way out of line, it was neither the time or the place.
    The Golden Globes is supposed to be an awards ceremony not soap box
    for personal opinions.  
    This post was edited by Sunshine at January 10, 2017 12:47 AM MST
    4

• 10220

Oh those poor, poor Hollywood actors.

Give us a break.  PFFFFFTTTTT

6
  • n/a

17637
    You did not pay much attention to what she actually said, did you? Seems you missed out on the message. Such shame, there was so much to take with you. Such shame.
    9

• 6394
    I can't help but think of the popular quote "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility."  I realize that most people would prefer that she as well as other so called stars keep their opinions to themselves.  However, I for one think it would be a sad dereliction of duty to not speak truth to power when one has a platform as loud and far reaching as she does.  I have only the highest regard for her attempt to stare into the face of those who chose bullying divisiveness and call them out for it.  Our new President is not above being named and labeled for what he has continually shown himself to be.  Too often I hear people complain about these awards shows being nothing more than a Hollywood circle jerk, a shallow and insular event catering to egos larger than the national debt.  How then can we also heap reproach upon those same people when they try to bring something notable and worthwhile to the table.  Whether it be human rights, environmental concerns, or any other topic of popular concern they as much as anyone else have a right to speak and be heard.  You go, Meryl!  Chip away at that wall of malignant hatred and rest assured that there are plenty of us who will be right there beside you. 
    9

• 10220
    She did have a few very good points but the part about Hollywood being vilified and victims was kinda self-righteous and BS.  I mean, to say that as you are having your butt-kissed with an overblown and silly award show to give you the platform is a tad disingenuous.
    2
  • n/a

17637
    To bring the quote you use into its full context:

The following is a transcript of Meryl Streep’s speech at the 74th Golden Globes as she accepted the Cecil B. DeMille Award for lifetime achievement.

I love you all. You have to forgive me, I have lost my voice in screaming and lamentation this weekend and I have lost my mind sometime earlier this year so I have to read.

Thank you, Hollywood Foreign Press. Just to pick up on what Hugh Laurie said, you and all of us in this room really belong to the most vilified segments of American society right now. Think about it: Hollywood, foreigners and the press.

But who are we and, you know, what is Hollywood, anyway? It’s just a bunch of people from other places. I was born and raised and educated in the public schools of New Jersey, Viola was born in a sharecropper's cabin in South Carolina, came up in Central Falls, R.I. Sarah Paulson was born in Florida, raised by a single mom in Brooklyn. Sarah Jessica Parker was one of seven or eight kids from Ohio, Amy Adams was born in Vicenza, Veneto, Italy and Natalie Portman was born in Jerusalem. Where are their birth certificates?

And the beautiful Ruth Negga was born in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, raised in Lon -- no, in Ireland, I do believe, and she’s here nominated for playing a small-town girl from Virginia. Ryan Gosling, like all the nicest people, is Canadian. And Dev Patel was born in Kenya, raised in London and is here playing an Indian raised in Tasmania. So Hollywood is crawling with outsiders and foreigners and if we kick them all out, you’ll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts.

They gave me three seconds to say this, so. An actor’s only job is to enter the lives of people who are different from us and let you feel what that feels like. And there were many, many, many powerful performances this year that did exactly that, breathtaking, compassionate work.

But there was one performance this year that stunned me. It sank its hooks in my heart, not because it was good, it was -- there’s nothing good about it. But it was effective and it did its job. It made its intended audience laugh and show their teeth.

It was that moment when the person asking to sit in the most respected seat in our country imitated a disabled reporter, someone he outranked in privilege and power and the capacity to fight back. It, it kind of broke my heart when I saw it and I still can’t get it out my head because it wasn’t in a movie. It was real life. And this instinct to humiliate when it’s modeled by someone in the public platform, by someone powerful, it filters down into everybody’s life because it kind of gives permission for other people to do the same thing.

Disrespect invites disrespect. Violence incites violence. When the powerful use their position to bully others, we all lose. OK, go on with that thing. OK, this brings me to the press. We need the principled press to hold power to account, to call them on the carpet for every outrage.

That’s why our founders enshrined the press and its freedoms in our constitution. So I only ask the famously well-heeled Hollywood foreign press and all of us in our community to join me in supporting the Committee to Protect Journalists, ’cause we’re going to need them going forward and they’ll need us to safeguard the truth.

One more thing. Once when I was standing around the set one day, whining about something, we were going to work through supper or the long hours or whatever, Tommy Lee Jones said to me: “Isn't it such a privilege, Meryl, just to be an actor?” Yeah, it is. And we have to remind each other of the privilege and the responsibility of the act of empathy. We should be very proud of the work Hollywood honors here tonight,

As my, as my friend, the dear departed Princess Leia, said to me once: “Take your broken heart, make it into art.”

Thank you, Foreign Press.
    9

• Just to echo someone else's comments ... Villify means to denigrate ... It does not mean you are without privilege .... Whether you accept it or not there is a movement to basically shut people up from giving their opinions on PET ... You can either go skiing with that or fight it ... I applaud Meryl for having the guts to stand up and say what she believes
    9

• 2823
    What is less interesting then the pratting of a celebrity?
    2

• 834
    The newly elected pseudo-celebrity POTUS tweeting responses to the prattling on of EVERY celebrity and member of the press. : )
    4

• 3953
    I thought her speech was lovely...and I believe you're pulling that quote out of context. If anything, I think the one most important thing she said that everyone should agree with regardless of political view's  is " We need the principled press to hold power to account, to call them on the carpet for every outrage." If you believe in democracy , you should agree with this.  
    I didn't like her dis' of MMA though ;) everything else was on point... In my opinion.
    7

• 1634

The problem with the word "Outrage" is that the different ends of the political spectrum use it about very different things, There may be 'outrages' they can agree on (eg: dragging a puppy after a car at 100 MPH is outragious). Just reading this thread exemplifies a great many totally different definitions.

2

• 3953
    I guess so. In my personal view trumps words and actions deserve outrage. I don't pretend to understand why Americans have so much distain (?not sure correct word )  for Hillary Clinton cos I'm not educated on American politics. I can't understand though how anyone could stand behind someone with so much hate in his heart. It makes me sad = outrage. 
    4

• 17637
    This.
    1

• 1634
    On AB I have read quite a few posts where actors were described as liberals or worse yet, commies. Claiming that someone who make millions of dollars a year is a commie, can hardly be anything but deliberate denigration (well, maybe envy)
    6

• Or it could just be sheer stupidity.
    2

• 2397
    I think she hit a nerve, without mentioning names. 
    5

• It could be seen as rather self-pitying couldn't it?  But then do you really expect an actor to pass up the chance to be a drama queen?  It's sort of in the blood, after all.

And she does have more than a point or two.  The media is becoming very jittery over Trump's unpredictability and are worried the consequences of some 3 am Twitter-inspired brainwave may arrive on their doorstep.  Given his control-freakery I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him try and if I worked in a responsible job in the media I'd be worried too.

So on balance I think it should have been heard, as it touches on things I've always been informed by Americans were sacrosanct under the Constitution, and which Trump, should it suit him and should he be emboldened enough, will undoubtedly try to change to his own advantage.

I can see the reason for the question's approach, but I think you have spent too much time on the style (yes, agreed, potentially annoying) and not enough on the substance.
    3