Plingsby
HelpStopAnimalAbuse
Jaimie
CosmicWunderkind
Skunky Stinkerson
Stormy-Lynn
Yogafan
VirginiaL
Ozgirl 256
JaneS
Zack - Mr. GenXer
Baba
PeaPod
Merlin
Just Asking
ALF
Lulu'sMom
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Does this painting belong on display in the US Capitol?

Does this painting belong on display in the US Capitol?

• 3174
    Hello my:

What is the context of the display..  Is it hanging in the doorway by itself??  Is it there for shock value?? Is it part of a collection?  Is the artist being honored??  Those things matter.

3

• 3659
    A tunnel leading to the Capitol is filled with paintings and other artwork done by students who enter them in the annual Congressional Art Competition. in the hallway of Congress. It was the winner in its district.
    0

• 3174
    Hello again, my:

Then it should remain..  Art is shocking..  I don't wanna "clean" it  up..

2

• 3659
    Would you feel that way if it was pornographic? 
    I think they probably need to revisit the rules for the artwork.
    0

• 3174
    Hello again, my:

If I were in charge of what should be displayed, I would NOT make that judgement based on my personal tastes..

2

• 770
    This contest has been part of an annual tradition now for 25 years.  Art has, and always will be, subjective.  Throughout history we have had one controversy or another over an artist's vision.  Here are some examples:

http://www.elist10.com/top-10-controversial-paintings-art-history/

Deemed shocking during their lifetime, most of us don't see what the hoopla was about.  The majority of the populous now view these as beautiful.

IMO, to purposefully stifle the creativity of a child is nothing short of censorship.
    0