Merlin
Zack - Mr. GenXer
Killcrazy
Nice Jugs
TammyV2.0
Harry
Lulu'sMom
SA (SuperA)
Jewels Vern
SapphicHeart
JBopine
Angela Anthony
WingedWonder
CLURT
GoatJumper
pearl
PeaPod
Discussion » Questions » Family » Do you feel guilty when you receive an unwanted gift?

Do you feel guilty when you receive an unwanted gift?

I hate receiving gifts. Unless it's something that you know someone wants, then don't buy it.

I got a gift for christmas that my parents were really happy about buying me, but it's not what I need, but now I have to use it when I don't want to and I also feel really guilty because I don't want it. I really appreciate their effort and it's not because I'm ungrateful, but it's because half of it unusable for my situation and that makes the other half useless too, which means I have to replace half before I can use the other half, so now it puts me in a position of having to spend money that I don't have just so I can use the rest of this stuff that I don't really want/need either. If I don't use it, my parents will notice and then I will feel guilty for not using it, so I have to use it.

Presents are way too stressful.

How was your christmas? How many unwanted gifts did you get? Do you feel like a jerk about it too?

Ah, christmas, the time for feeling like crap.

Posted - January 10

• 480
    What was it that you got that was so useless?

Anyway, all I got were incense and a new blanket which I always need. My old blanket was gettin' kinda grody.
    1

• 62
    It's a carp fishing set. I started carp fishing with a friend about a year ago. My parents thought they would buy me one of those type of sets where you get a bundle of stuff. Unfortunately, half of it is unusable for where I fish, the size fish I catch, etc. And because of that, I need to replace it before I can use the rest of it. So, I feel like they have wasted money where it could have been better spent, but they were so happy about buying it for me, I couldn't tell them because I'd feel guilty for ruining their happiness. I mean, you know what's like when you buy someone a gift that you think they'd love, but then it turns out they don't like it, it's not a good feeling.

The funny thing is, for over a decade they have not bought me a gift and have always given me money, so that makes it even harder to say anything about it because it's like the one time they buy me gift, how can I tell them "it's wrong" ?

Incense and a blanket sounds good :)
    1

• 480
    Yeah, that sounds like a sad situation.
    I remember one year my father gave me a box of poptarts and I don't even like poptarts but I acted all happy and ate them anyway.
    2

• 8283
    1

• 62
    Thanks for the card.
    1

• 8283
    You're welcome. ^_^
    0

• 2216
    Wow. Clever.
    0

• 8283
    Wow.  >YAWN<
    0

• 1789
    I almost never get a gift that I can use unless it's cash or a universal gift card.  I hate to sound ungrateful, but if you don't see me wearing a particular kind of jewelry, don't assume it's because I can't afford it - I can - I don't like it.  Same with clothing.  Stop estimating that I'm smaller than I really am - I won't be offended if it actually fits and please don't give me a gift card to a store in whcih I NEVER shop. 
    1

• 2216
    I too received a piece of jewelry. I don't wear jewelry and haven't for over 30 years. Also it was piece of costume teen oriented jewelry... and the tag was not even removed!
    1

• 2306
    I kinda understand this.  I think most people do go through a lot of trouble to give a gift that is well thought out.  I admit I probably hang on to things that have been given to me way too long for that reason.  I never re-wrap and pass it on.

The good news is, most of my family has gotten away from exchanging gifts.  I haven't gotten a dud in quite a while.  This post was edited by PeaPod at January 10, 2017 10:48 PM MST
    1

• Nope.  People's choices are nothing to do with me and I have several charity shops to choose from as any unwanted gift's next destination.
    0

• 5661
    not really since im the one that has given gifts that they didnt want This post was edited by pearl at January 10, 2017 2:56 PM MST
    0

• Parents eh? Who'd have them?  

LOL I didn't get any gifts! I never do :P  Well ok just one a friend who feels sorry for me cos I never get any gifts.. she always gets me a gift at Christmas and Birthday.. and fortunately the things are usually nice :)  
    1

• 1902
    Not at all.
    1

• 1037
    No, I just thank them for it and tell them I like it but last year I got caught exchanging a gift at the store.  How embarrassing lol.

0

• 494
    I don't get gifts. I guess that makes me lucky??
    0