Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Should the Western civilization have a bigger interest in women's rights around the world, e.g. places like Africa and the Middle East?

Should the Western civilization have a bigger interest in women's rights around the world, e.g. places like Africa and the Middle East?

Category: Political Questions.

How does women's rights (the lack of) influence on today's worlds issues?

Posted - January 11, 2017

Responses

• They should but I doubt a lot of them ever will. Especially Muslim countries ! Women have little to no rights in Muslim countries. Africans are too busy killing each other and dealing with warlords to even care.
    Most all modern Western countries are really on Women's rights but the Third World countries don't even bother.
    Maybe you'll see a difference in your lifetime but I sure won't in mine.
    Women's rights mean a lot in today's  World but only in modern countries.
      January 11, 2017 6:38 AM MST

Like asked, should we as the Western civilization pay more concern on these topics. After all, it might change a lot of the issues we are dealing with/facing today, ISIS among them. 
      January 11, 2017 6:42 AM MST

• We should ! But will we? I doubt it. It's a real shame.
    We'll never change the Muslim countries, never. Africa? Possibly. But when have these two ever listened to anything the West has said.
      January 11, 2017 6:53 AM MST

Change goes through education. Never say never, there is a long way ahead still though. 
      January 11, 2017 7:06 AM MST

• It's a tricky situation and I'm just a plebe when it comes to answers for the situation.  However,   the problem will also just continue to grow as long as we as advanced societies continue to make excuses for depraved cultures and treat all cultures as equal.   I'm all for treating people as equal,  but " it's their culture" has become too much of an excuse for too much vile behavior.  If your culture involves female circumcision( male circumcision is pretty messed up too), canning your wife, raping people,one gender is better than the other, etc.,etc.  then your culture is crap and rightfully should be spat on and rejected.  Compassion and understanding isn't deserved.   Your culture doesn't grant that, so why should it be granted to your culture?
    Does hold overs and the echoes of a misogynistic past still exist in our culture? Yes.   Is it even remotely comparable ins cope or effect  to the abuses in 3rd world hell holes?   Doesn't even hold a candle to it.  Yet many seem to focus on silly made up "micro-aggressions" here while ignoring and excusing the gross and real oppression of lesser cultures and excuse it by saying we need to try and understand them more.

Other than voicing rejection and cutting off ties with said cultures I don't know what else we can do about it either though.  Push them too hard and they ramp it up as a backlash.   

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 11, 2017 8:57 AM MST
      January 11, 2017 7:00 AM MST

Cultures evolve over time. Christianity has too. You will however still find those who believes women are less, even there. My hypothesis is, that we with education can have a more rapid change within the cultures that look at women as less. My other hypothesis is, that with women becoming more accepted as equal to men, we will see a change inside politics and thereby next also inside laws and justice. That leads me to my third hypothesis, that there will be less room for organizations such as ISIS to grow to their size and power as they have today. Education is the thing that will make the biggest impact over years. Hmm.
      January 11, 2017 7:13 AM MST

• Totally agree.  Education is key, though I reject artificial mechanisms to put women in traditionally male dominated areas and professions.  Not because the goal isn't worthy, but that it is misguided and has unintended consequences and isn't really equality or serve the goal of attaining it.  Being a minority or oppressed segment shouldn't be a pro or a con or have any bearing either way. JMHO.  The standards should be the same, not special considerations.

Religions in general are the greatest obstacle the world over for this.  Has been through out history. The Abrahamic religions especially so.  Even Israel has a major problem going on  with it.
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 11, 2017 7:50 AM MST
      January 11, 2017 7:26 AM MST

I'm talking about education, not gender-based hiring. People should be treated equal and as... people. Not male/female or any other minority groups (politics/religion/sexuality etc.). It's not important for a job; only a persons qualities are important.
      January 11, 2017 7:44 AM MST

• Again I totally agree.   Just I think there is a segment that has let it's justified outrage cloud their judgment and push in self defeating directions.  I understand it,   I support the goal,  I feel the same outrage but I think some have let it consume their objectivity.
    Then there is the segment who pays lip service to the cause but rather throw blame instead of offering solutions or any real dialogue about the underlying causes.  It's nothing more than a jump-off tool for their spew and deriding of others in the name of gaining control. They don't actually care about the issue,  they care how the issue serves them and how they can manipulate it in their favor.

It's sad. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 11, 2017 8:11 AM MST
      January 11, 2017 7:54 AM MST

Exactly. It's why I wished our political leaders, and all the political bodies (UN/EU and what they are named) would look further into this. Industries won't do that part. 

And yes, it is sad.
      January 11, 2017 8:00 AM MST

• I think western civilisations should pay more attention to human rights around the world.  Specifying a 'bit' of culture for 'improvement' is a piecemeal approach and, while I would happily agree that it may achieve small victories, I think that following this path allows other 'bits' of culture to go unchecked.

Of course in order to do that, the west would first have to stop meddling so much for the benefit of it's major property and business owners.

Perhaps 'one bit at a time' is the way to go after all.  :)
      January 11, 2017 7:12 AM MST

I do agree. I do think what will make the biggest impact over time is education. This should be where we use our resources. Hmm.
      January 11, 2017 7:15 AM MST

• That's an interesting thought.  And it would mean that, for a lot of very powerful vested interests, education would be one of the least desirable aspects of modern cultures.  It would be one of the most derided, most tinkered with, most devalued.

Now where have I seen that before....?   :)
      January 11, 2017 7:25 AM MST

Mhmm. Food for thought, right?
      January 11, 2017 7:39 AM MST

Hello SH:

Sure we should.  But, given our new president, it doesn't look like we're gonna.  He LOVES women - as OBJECTS..

excon This post was edited by excon at January 11, 2017 7:22 AM MST
      January 11, 2017 7:21 AM MST

I'm aware about his interests. It's however not part of the question here though, seen in my perspective. I believe that part has fully been covered somewhere else, and still is on the question board here. I personally am way more interested in a discussion on how the western society's interest into this subject could influence on the issues we face as a world, and not just for the US. Thank you.
      January 11, 2017 7:37 AM MST

Hello again, SH:

I see that you're interested in HOW western civilization can influence the world.. It's a nice thought.  To me, however, a discussion about HOW to do something, that we're NEVER going to do, is kinda silly..

You want to know how we can do it BETTER, and I'm telling you that we're PURPOSELY going to do it WORSE..  I thought that fact MIGHT impact upon your discussion.  Maybe not.

excon
      January 11, 2017 7:57 AM MST

Same same though. You bringing in Trump won't make any difference either. I believe my efforts will be as effectual, if not even more compared to any other here. They are as pointless as mine, if you want to look at them in such ways. The big difference however will be, I try to look at a world issue from more than just a US point of view. After all, US politics and its influence looks like it will decrease in the future, when talking about world politics. I wish you a pleasant day.
      January 11, 2017 8:08 AM MST

• It's only partly a political issue at best as well.  It's a human condition and societal issue and politics is only a small fraction of that.

This question is really only as political as someone wants to make and honestly making politically dominate isn't any real discussion or acknowledgment of it in the big picture. Politics is about division at there core. Cultural matters and matters about human condition as well as culture aren't in and of themselves political matters.  Nor are politics really a solution.
      January 11, 2017 8:16 AM MST

Politics is part of the solution. In a simplified model, should we buy more bombs bombing inside foreign countries/territories or should we use the money spend on something more effective in a longer run. The world isn't black and white and it's not this simple, I am aware. But agreed, this goes further than politics only. :-) 
      January 11, 2017 8:25 AM MST

• Right, and that's my point.  Politics isn't the solution or what is going to provide answers.   The answers and solutions come first and then applied to governing. The governing can't force change and expect real results.  The culture has to change and then governing reflect that change as a result. It starts at the bottom, not the top.
      January 11, 2017 8:45 AM MST

Fully agree. That's why education will give far better results than any bombing and propaganda.
      January 11, 2017 1:58 PM MST

• ( I just can't pass up an opportunity to post this video even if I do it ad nauseum.)

January 11, 2017 2:32 PM MST

Germans, right? I don't mind at all you keep posting it when the opportunity is given. :-)
      January 11, 2017 2:52 PM MST