Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Does memorizing the Bible and spouting multiples passages from memory make you a GOOD CHRISTIAN? If not what does and why?

Does memorizing the Bible and spouting multiples passages from memory make you a GOOD CHRISTIAN? If not what does and why?

Posted - January 11, 2017

Responses

Which branch of Islam is following Christ? Jesus said you would recognize his followers by the "love among yourselves". Is there even one branch of Islam that doesn't murder their own brothers? You told me that Shiites kill more Shiites than they do Sunnis and that Sunnis kill more Sunnis than they do Shiites so that leaves both of them out, right? Come now let us reason.
    (John 13:34, 35) I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are my disciples—if you have love among yourselves.”
      January 17, 2017 4:40 AM MST

Jesus spent his mission teaching his followers and being a role model for them. Muslims are actually the best follower of his teachings. See examples below:

01 - Jesus was a very strict monotheist who taught that the Lord our god is one Lord [Deuteronomy 6:4 Mark 12:29] and that the heavenly father is "the only true god" [John 17:3]. Muslims fully accept that but Christians don’t.

02- Jesus never said he or the Holy Spirit was God, Muslims accept that and don’t regard either as God but Christians reject that and regard both as God.

03- Jesus was given the Biblical title “son of God“ The Bible itself in Romans 8:14 explains the title by saying, "as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God". Muslims accept that but Christians reject it and regard “son of God” to be literal when applied to Jesus.

04- Jesus never claimed to be God, He almost always called himself son of man and saw himself as a prophet as we can see from Mark 6:4 where referring to himself he said, "A prophet is not without honor except in his own town, among his relatives and in his own home." Muslims accept him as a prophet and never claim he was God but Christians see him as Son of God and claim he is God.

05- Jesus said that his food was to do the will of God [faithfully do what God had commanded him to do] He observed the Mosaic law and warned those inclined to considered it abolished. In Matthew 5:19 he said, “Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven” Muslims accept that the law of God is binding, but Christians don’t.

06 - Jesus believed that salvation belonged to those who followed Moses faithfully, Muslims believe that too, but Christians believe that Jesus is the only way to the truth.

07- Jesus never taught that humans carry the so called original sin. never taught that every baby was born carrying the sin of its forefather, Adam. As a Jew he would have taught about God’s promise in Ezekiel 18:20 that everyone will be accountable for only their own sins not those of their fathers. Muslims accept that and regard every baby as totally free of sin but Christians reject that and insist that all human beings are born with the original sin.

08- Jesus never taught that god is so holy he can't accept sinners in his presence.. He taught that God was more pleased to see a repenting sinner than someone who had hardly sinned [Luke 15:11-24] Muslims accept that but Christians reject it.

09- Jesus never taught that God refused to forgive sins, or was incapable of doing so, unless mankind sacrificed a sinless human being. Muslims accept that but Christians reject that and insist that Jesus had to die for God to forgive the sins of the world.

10- Jesus never taught that God was ever held to ransom. Muslims accept that. Christians don’t. They insist that God paid the ransom.

11- Jesus observed dietary laws which include not eating pig. He never made it lawful for his followers to eat anything. Muslims accept and don’t eat pork. Christians don’t. They insist that all food is lawful and they eat pork.

12- Jesus was circumcised in accordance with what God called His EVERLASTING covenant with Abraham in Genesis 17:10-14 Muslims are circumcised but not Christians.

13 - Jesus gave to the poor and urged his followers to do likewise. Muslims give more to charity than members of any other faith and none.

14 - Jesus was against usurious money lending. Muslims are forbidden to participate in usury, but Christians don’t care about it. 

15 - Jesus fasted for many days. Muslims do so too, every year, but Christians don’t put any emphasis on that.

16 - Jesus greeted with the words "peace be upon you" and taught his followers to do the same. Muslims all over the world use that greeting, but Christians don’t.

17- Jesus put his face down on the ground in humility when praying to God. Muslims accept and follow that. Christians don’t.

18- Jesus kept a beard and wore long gowns and robes [like those of bishops and cardinals but those of Jesus were not ceremonial]. He believed in modest dress at all times. His mother Mary was fully covered up. Muslim men and women accept and follow the dress code, but Christians don’t and think nothing of baring it all  

19- Jesus would take off his shoes before entering holy ground. Muslims accept and follow that in their mosques. Christians don’t. 

20- Jesus would perform ablution before worship. Muslims do so too, but Christians don’t. 

Muslims are the most Christlike of all major faith groups. If Christianity was more faithful to the teachings of the Christ then there would be very little difference between Christianity and Islam. However, as it stands we find that Christians have become so divorced and distanced from what Christ was like that they cannot bring themselves round to copying him as described above and instead find all sorts of excuses why they need not, wont or even should not do so.

January 17, 2017 3:52 PM MST

All your little robot like rituals don't mean squat. Muslims need to quit trying to force others to live the way they think you should. Way toooooo much murder in Islam.
    (John 13:34, 35) I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are my disciples—if you have love among yourselves.”

EDIT: You might take to heart that the Pharisees followed the law in a ritualistic way as well:
    (Matthew 23:23) “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because you give the tenth of the mint and the dill and the cumin, but you have disregarded the weightier matters of the Law, namely, justice and mercy and faithfulness. These things it was necessary to do, yet not to disregard the other things.
    (Matthew 23:28-32) In the same way, on the outside you appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness. 29 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because you build the graves of the prophets and decorate the tombs of the righteous ones, 30 and you say, ‘If we had lived in the days of our forefathers, we would not have shared with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.’ 31 Therefore, you are testifying against yourselves that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. 32 Well, then, fill up the measure of your forefathers. This post was edited by texasescimo at January 18, 2017 4:53 AM MST
      January 18, 2017 4:39 AM MST

Since all the 20 points I made in my response were examples of the beliefs and rituals of Jesus as reported in the Bible I take it your response "All your little robot like rituals don't mean squat." apply to him.

"I am giving you a new commandment," was meant to be added to the commandments Jesus came to teach how to follow properly not to replace them. But then as I pointed out who, apart from Muslims, cares what Jesus actually taught. Did he ever say he is God? No. Quite the contrary. He clearly taught that the heavenly Father is "the ONLY true God" but nearly 2 billion Christians don't care. They INSIST he IS God.
      January 18, 2017 3:12 PM MST

You miss so much. Muslims are missing love of neighbor in murdering one another and anyone else that doesn't accept their brand of man-made man-led theocracy. They can take off their shoes and say PBUH but they cant turn the other cheek and show love but resort to blood shed way too often.

(Luke 10:27) In answer he said: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole strength and with your whole mind’ and ‘your neighbor as yourself.’”

(Matthew 5:21, 22) “You heard that it was said to those of ancient times: ‘You must not murder, but whoever commits a murder will be accountable to the court of justice.’ 22 However, I say to you that everyone who continues wrathful with his brother will be accountable to the court of justice; and whoever addresses his brother with an unspeakable word of contempt will be accountable to the Supreme Court; whereas whoever says, ‘You despicable fool!’ will be liable to the fiery Ge·henʹna.
      January 20, 2017 6:23 AM MST

Yes, all good Muslims accept most of that AND all the twenty examples I gave of the beliefs and teachings of Jesus. However, the vast majority of Christians not only REJECT those beliefs and teachings of the Christ but find all sorts of excuses why they need not, wont or even should not accept them.
      January 20, 2017 7:31 PM MST

So which sect of Islam are all of these good Muslims drawn too? Which sect of Islam has not at one time or another participated in sectarian violence? You yourself eliminated Shiites and Sunnis so which other sect are you referring to? Where is this self sacrificing love Jesus spoke of apparent in Islam?
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=shiites+vs+sunnis
      January 21, 2017 2:11 AM MST

widen your circle of friends or at least be friendly to people and they'll be friendly in return
      January 21, 2017 7:12 PM MST

Come now let us reason. You make bold claims about Muslims being the best followers of Christ but where is the identifying mark of love? All the blood shed in Islam makes a mockery of any claim to be Christ like. 
      January 21, 2017 9:07 PM MST

I'm talking about the vast majority of ordinary Muslims living under normal conditions that many take for granted. Go visit a mosque and talk to some ordinary Muslims.
      January 23, 2017 8:37 AM MST

The vast majority of normal people living under normal conditions don't chop peoples heads off. What's inside comes out under harsh conditions. Altogether too often Muslims fail under these conditions. If Muslims are the best followers of Jesus why don't they go door to door like his early disciples? (Mt 10:14; Mt 24:14; Mt 28:19-20 Words of Jesus)
      January 24, 2017 1:18 PM MST

"The vast majority of normal people living under normal conditions don't chop peoples heads off." indeed and that applies to Muslims too - except in the minds of bigots who openly say or imply that the vast majority of normal Muslims living under normal conditions chop peoples heads off. Honestly!!!

As for your closing remark it is very strange that Jesus changed his mind from first strictly restricting his mission to the Jews only, to the extent of even forbidding his disciples from going to the Gentiles, and then, later, commanding that all people be converted to his faith of Judaism!!!
      January 25, 2017 7:04 PM MST

I've given you the scriptures like Dan 9:24-27 and others that showed that there would be a period of time special for the Jews but then it was opened up to the gentiles after the majority of the Jews rejected the Messiah. Love your half truths. 

Right back at you:
    As for your closing remarks it is very strange that Mohammad changed his mind from first strictly casting terror into the hearts of those that disbelieved and striking them upon the necks to one of peace.

Surah 8:12 [Remember] when your Lord inspired to the angels, "I am with you, so strengthen those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip."
      January 26, 2017 4:55 AM MST

1- "Love your half truths." If they are "half truths." then they're those of Jesus, not mine. So once again your accusation falls on Jesus, not me. I merely quote him.

a) You accept, of course, that Jesus was a Jew by race and faith and remained so throughout his mission.

b) Jesus clearly stated, without any ifs, buts or exceptions, that God had sent him ONLY to bring the lost sheep of the house of Israel back into the fold. In Matthew 15:24 Jesus declared that he "was sent ONLY to the lost sheep of the nation of Israel."

c) Jesus chose 12 disciples to represent the twelve tribes of Israel

d) Even the disciples Jesus instructed very clearly according to Matthew 10:5: "Don't go to the Gentiles or the Samaritans, but ONLY to the people of Israel --God's lost sheep."

e) we can see from the Gospels that Jesus did not go about converting Gentile to his message at any point in his life.

f) In fact even the miraculous powers he had been given he didn't want to use them for non-Israelites. That is why he initially rebuked a Gentile for seeking his favours, "The woman came and knelt before him. “Lord, help me!” she said. 26He replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.” (Matthew 15:25,26 and Mark 7:27,28). 

g) And this exclusion continues to the end times because of his hand-picked elect (his twelve disciples), he made sure that they remained of his tribes so that his other prophecy might find fulfilment: "when the son of man (Jesus referring to himself) shall sit on the throne of his glory, ye (the disciples) also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel" (Matthew 19:28).

2- We're not talking about Mohammed or about fighting. However, since you keep being distracted into those two areas let me explain. When being attacked by an army the Muslims had no option but to defend themselves and at that point it would be suicidal for Mohammed to ask his followers to turn the other cheek. The instruction there was how to confront the attackers. However, if the enemy halts the attack and calls for peace then Mohammed was instructed to trust in God and proceed to peace even if there is suspicion that the attackers are doing so as a strategy of war.

January 26, 2017 4:01 PM MST

You both talk about what you believe (or think)---nothing wrong with that.

If you talk to Him as much as you talk about Him---you both must be very holy and in touch with His will for men.

If you do talk with Him and you both are that holy, why do you disagree on so many things? This post was edited by tom jackson at January 24, 2017 11:24 AM MST
      January 24, 2017 11:23 AM MST

Where on earth do you get that either one of us thinks that the other has the truth hence should agree on much? Like you, CLURT doesn't accept the Bible as being beneficial for all his doctrines. Me thinks yall has more in common than CLURT and I.
      January 24, 2017 1:16 PM MST

So should your back an forth dialogue be classified as intellectual masturbation?

January 25, 2017 1:23 PM MST

Is that what you look at it as when you do it like now?
      January 25, 2017 3:30 PM MST

I'm  convinced that God exists...

When people start talking about what they know about God, I look to see what "fruits by which we know them" their thoughts and insights and beliefs produce in them which may make me think that they have responded to God better than I have...

In other words, do you exhibit any qualities based on your relationship with the God that I believe in that I would want in my own life...

If not, then I consider your understandings to be sterile rather than productive.

So, thus the phrase "intellectual masturbation" since there is apparently no no useful progeny from the type of discourse you proffer.
      January 29, 2017 1:05 PM MST

And you are still here why? Sad that you can't even understand such basic Bible teachings as Jesus taught like the Father is the only true God.
    (John 17:3) This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
      February 28, 2017 12:09 PM MST

Apparently my role is to respond both to the erroneous concepts held by certain atheists and those held by certain people who characterize themselves as believers.

Why else would I respond to you?

February 28, 2017 12:39 PM MST

Not much enlightenment coming from you and certainly no scriptures.
      February 28, 2017 1:04 PM MST

It is impossible to enlighten certain people.  Some people have padlocks on their mind to keep the truth out, not in...

I'm thinking of Matthew 7:6---something about where not to cast pearls....

February 28, 2017 4:52 PM MST

And yet here you are trying to cast what you consider to be pearls. Here's another very simple and clear scripture that will likely go over your head:
    (1 Corinthians 8:5, 6) For even though there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many “gods” and many “lords,” 6 there is actually to us one God, the Father, from whom all things are and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and we through him.

Funny that you can't give scriptures for your false doctrines but you try to use verses to insult. Christendom at its finest.
      February 28, 2017 7:32 PM MST

The reference was intended to emphasize that before which I would be casting if I so chose to cast...

You want me to tell you what I think to be true so that you can attack it....I prefer to tell you that you misinterpret much of the Bible and suggest that you throw away your preconceived notions and meet the Trinity and the second person thereof (The Word) who became incarnate and brought a new reality into the world.  And it goes without saying that you should ask the Holy Spirit, the third person of the trinity to help you understand what the bible says....

You seem to be more interested in talking about God rather than talking to Him.

And I am hardly attacking "Christendom at it's finest."

I am attacking the conclusions that one particular group of people have arrived at---and you will find those conclusions promulgated at the local Kingdom Hall.
      March 1, 2017 11:52 AM MST