Active Now

Malizz
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » What's the best course of action when dealing with a bully, follow the rules and proper channels, or fight back and risk repercussions?

What's the best course of action when dealing with a bully, follow the rules and proper channels, or fight back and risk repercussions?

Posted - January 12, 2017

Responses

• Although I fully understand what you are saying, I taught them to trust and follow the regulations and proper channels. IF he got to the point where the system in place failed to protect him, then it was ok to take matters into your own hands. (That's pretty talk for make sure you cover your a** before you kick their a**)
      January 12, 2017 11:58 AM MST

• Oh I agree.  Being a hot head about it and slamming any and all slights isn't building good character either.   You got to be able to take a few to the chin and shake it off too.   I guess it all comes down to " you need to have a backbone".  There's a difference between a little teasing and bullying as well.
      January 12, 2017 12:04 PM MST

Bullies are too wimpy, that's why they bully.  My grandson was bullied for a few years. He was afraid we'd be disappointed if he was 'suspended' to defend himself.  When I told him for what seemed like the hundreth time he COULD defend himself, he finally didn't take anymore and fought back. And yea, he was suspended. 
    He told me " I should have known you wouldn't be mad grandma, for finally fighting back"  Our grandson was raised for many years by me and his grandpa. Our grandson knows we think bullies are lowlifes.  lol
      January 12, 2017 12:18 PM MST

Huge difference between being a bully and DEFENDING yourself.  Bullies often cry foul once they get their own medicine handed back.
      January 12, 2017 12:59 PM MST

Yep.....so true. 
      January 12, 2017 3:23 PM MST

THis story needs to be fleshed out some.   It depends on what the situation is and how bad the bully is.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 12, 2017 12:25 PM MST
      January 12, 2017 12:23 PM MST

I always just ignored my bullies and they seemed to have gotten bored real quick and I haven't been bothered much. Some people aren't so good at just ignoring bullies so it won't work for everyone, unfortunately.
      January 12, 2017 7:05 PM MST

• Do you really feel that's the best thing to do? 
    Not being confrontational in anyway. 
    Don't you think it is unfair for them to just get away with it?
      January 18, 2017 7:59 PM MST

I'm just a non-confrontational person. Provoking them would probably just make things worse anyway.
    I've never been physically attacked by a bully though, so I don't know how I'd react if they hit me. I might try to defend myself or just slink away.
      January 19, 2017 5:49 AM MST

Ignore bullies,they're just cowards in the guise of ruffians, one has to be very brave in order to confront and face repercussion.I am not brave enough,I've ignored bullies but I've been fortunate always,because someone or other has always fought for me and defended me.
      January 18, 2017 8:04 PM MST

• I understand and truly would like to agree with you. But I can't. It is just not right for people like that to get away with it. To walk thru life leaving behind a trail of suffering and hurt. Im not saying we need to Bruce Lee these guys, there are many things to do. I just can't be ok with ignoring them so they can do it to someone else. Im glad you had people that were able to fight for you. And I don't say that in a sarcastic manner. I mean it. Thanks for commenting, V.
      January 18, 2017 8:41 PM MST

I agree Lago,sometimes retalliation is the best move,bullies are like bulls,their minds are in their brute force!
      January 18, 2017 10:08 PM MST

My dad and my husband both told me that the only thing that works with bullies is beating them up no matter what the teachers say.

It kind of looks like some teachers favor bullies.  My half brother was the bully in elementary school and the principal and the teachers never told my dad about it.  He didn't find out about it until later but he said if he would have known about it he would have put a stop to it right away and knowing my dad he would have.

I went to a Christian school from Kindergarten through 8th grade l so I saw some of the teachers in church on Sunday morning and after church people usually stand around and talk with each other and one morning I heard the principal and the pastor reminiscing about the good old days in high school when they were the bullies.  I never had any respect for them after that.

My brother was a target for bullies but when he fought back he got in trouble but the bullies never did.
      January 18, 2017 9:11 PM MST