Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Be honest. Has this election changed your perspective of some of your acquaintances that voted differently than you?

Be honest. Has this election changed your perspective of some of your acquaintances that voted differently than you?

I admit that I have trouble understanding how anyone I know personally actually touts the wonders of Mr. Trump, even with clear evidence that he is not a nice human being.  I never felt this way after any other election.  I always respected political differences in my friends, family, and acquaintances.  But this time around, it's different.  I don't feel it's a difference of ideology.  I have trouble understanding how anyone can support such a negative human being.

Care to share?

Of course I won't end friendships over this.  I just ignore what they post on social media.  But it does make me scratch my head and ask some questions.

Posted - January 13, 2017

Responses

Hope your side will chill out too.  You are in deep denial if you think hate don't exist in the Trump camp.
      January 13, 2017 12:59 PM MST

Never saw the conservatives rioting in the streets or attacking people after BO was elected. Even with his hate speech and discriminator policies.
      January 13, 2017 1:03 PM MST

There was no reason for them to protest Mr. Obama's election.  He won by huge numbers.  Mr. Obama was and still is, a decent man.  I am not blind to what he couldn't accomplish, but I am left with the feeling I had 8 years ago; we elected a man that was good for the country.

As for the protests against Trump?  Any that involved violence were terrible and I sure don't support that.  But I do support people that voice objection to what they truly believe is wrong.

I don't recall a peaceful quiet when Mr. Obama was elected.  I remember horrific attacks on him and his family.  Hell, some wouldn't even accept he was indeed an American citizen.

Face it, it's hard to see the other side when you are passionate about your own.

This post was edited by PeaPod is just popping by at January 13, 2017 3:14 PM MST
      January 13, 2017 1:10 PM MST

I remember that too Peas.
    And I don't like it from either side. We truly have become a divided nation.
      January 13, 2017 1:33 PM MST

I am so sad Lulu.  No only do we have a very scary leader, we are so divided as a nation.
      January 13, 2017 1:45 PM MST

Even if I didn't agree with leaders in the past, I could always find something that they did that helped.
    I am not sure that will be the case this time.
      January 13, 2017 2:11 PM MST

I don't know what political affiliation these people who rioted were. Yes, I read they were liberals, but since I don't know them personally, I cannot say they REALLY were liberals. Could be they used a political party affiliation to do their dirty deeds.  How do "I" know if they even voted? Since I don't know them, that is a claim I wouldn't make. 
      January 13, 2017 1:22 PM MST

Truth!  I think half those idiots causing damage didn't even bother to vote.  They don't get to be called liberals.  They get to be called "thugs".

Just the way I don't want to broad brush all conservatives, let's not do this to liberals.  Both sides have some really decent people that are worth getting to know.
      January 13, 2017 1:28 PM MST

Exactly!  Blame the individuals not the political party. I know loving conservatives as well as loving liberals. 
      January 13, 2017 1:40 PM MST

Thank goodness the world has people like you to remind us all of what matters.  You are someone we all should strive a little harder to be like.

January 13, 2017 1:43 PM MST

*blushes*  awe thank you! 
      January 13, 2017 1:52 PM MST

Sure because Trump supporters would riot and beat people who they believe voted for Trump.......
      January 13, 2017 3:07 PM MST

Ummm...last time I checked, assholes are assholes regardless of who they claim to support.  Most of these thugs that committed atrocities we heard on the news didn't even bother to vote.  And you would be kidding yourself to think that some individuals that voted for Trump haven't committed some heinous crimes against fellow human beings because they lack a moral code themselves.  

Hate is hate, regardless of party affiliation.

January 13, 2017 3:17 PM MST

• Yeah, that's really dumb.
      January 13, 2017 1:07 PM MST

I have many close friends on BOTH sides who are disappointed in all sides of the political parties. I've seen hate on both sides, myself.  In good conscience I cannot blame one party more than the other. I blame "individuals" for poor behavior.  
      January 13, 2017 1:12 PM MST

• I hear ya'.
      January 13, 2017 2:42 PM MST

The only ones who surprised me were the ones who voted for Trump.
    The hate from both sides was no surprise at all. That is a common thing no matter who wins.

Trump is the leader in showing how much hate he has for anyone who disagrees with him.
    I never saw that in past Liberal leaders.
      January 13, 2017 1:29 PM MST

That is my observation too Lulu.  Hate comes from many places.  But when I see it coming out of the mouth of the leader of my country, I feel ashamed.  I never felt that way about other elected leaders, even if my ideology was so different than theirs.  
      January 13, 2017 1:31 PM MST

• LOL good question.. I am very lucky that NONE of my lovely American friends voted for the utterly repugnant Trumpet..  If that had happened I would struggle to respect them, such is my utter disgust and disbelief that Trump will do ANYTHING good for America..  

I did encounter many on another, rather scummy site, who were Trumpet supporters.. such people cannot be reasoned with at present.. and unfortunately they seem ignorant and oblivious to sane reasoning.. and I found I just couldn't forgive them their stupidity.. so i simply withdrew.. I no longer participate on that site.. 
      January 13, 2017 1:30 PM MST

Like I always say, you gotta know when to hold um, and you gotta know when to fold um
    Sometimes it's best to just walk away.
      January 13, 2017 1:35 PM MST

This is why I avoid most political questions and sites that seem to only thrive on political fighting.  

I asked this question to examine myself; to ask why I felt so turned off by seeing acquaintances rally for this hateful man.  I don't want to have such negative feelings for people I don't even really know.  I still can't believe this man is now our president.  It's going to be a tough 4 years.
      January 13, 2017 1:40 PM MST

• I do understand... and it's good that you have thought about it, what troubles you, why it troubles you..   Sometimes though all you can conclude is that they are *mistaken* and you kinda have to let them go their way and you yours.. If it's any consolation I do believe that they WILL learn they were wrong.. sadly they will learn the hard way :( 
      January 13, 2017 1:49 PM MST

Thank-you DDB.  I figure looking inward first is always the first order of business.  I know that in the end, there will people I can never find common ground with, nor would I want to.  
      January 13, 2017 2:29 PM MST

• No, not really.   There are a few I have distanced myself from for spewing politics,  ones I find too much to handle and wont ever shut up about but that happened long before the election.

My actual close friends and family though?  No,  we don't talk about it and I really don't care.  I'm sure some did, but either way I know the people I call friends and know what kind of people they really are regardless of who they voted for.   I'm sure I could guess who voted for who if I thought about it.  It just doesn't matter.  None of them are ruled by silly politics and we just don't talk about it because better things to discuss with each other.  

It's kind sad to me how nowadays it isn't considered uncouth to talk about politics with company.  It really is kinda base and rude and best not discussed in 90% of situations and shouldn't be brought up unless in a venue specifically devoted to them.  It's not  general discussion and chit-chat fodder. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 13, 2017 3:16 PM MST
      January 13, 2017 2:50 PM MST

Excellent point about how some of this stuff is way too open.  We used to talk politics in the home I was growing up in, but it was more about events that were happening.  I have a feeling who my parents probably voted for, but not sure.  I never thought to ask.  

Maybe we were better off before the Internet, especially when it comes to politics and religion.

January 13, 2017 2:58 PM MST