Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » History » Remember when Sears was worth going to?

Remember when Sears was worth going to?

At first people had to buy things by pictures in  the Sears catalog and wait and wait for it to be delivered and hope it's right.
Then it advanced to a chain of stores that sold everything under the sun but you get actually see it and get it then.
Now they close because people buy everything buy pictures from Amazon and wait weeks for it to be delivered and hope it's right.

We're going backwards..

Posted - January 13, 2017

Responses

But I don't have to leave my house. Plus flying robots bring me my collectible Rogue One action statuettes.
      January 13, 2017 9:01 PM MST

• And before catalogs existed, people had to go in person to buy things. I don't think we're going backwards, it's just a cycle.

The only non-food I really buy in person anymore is clothing. 
      January 13, 2017 9:07 PM MST

You Millennials ;)
      January 13, 2017 9:26 PM MST

Extreme dislike for this.
      January 14, 2017 5:28 AM MST

• I loved the Sears catolog :) I remember my sister and I would go through it page by page pick one thing every page :)  ... We were(  dil-ewe- shin- al ( can't Suss that word)       but happy :) nothing much has changed then ... But no catolog :/ 
      January 13, 2017 9:11 PM MST

Remember when the Sears catalog was the Christmas wish list? This post was edited by O-uknow at January 15, 2017 9:59 AM MST
      January 13, 2017 9:25 PM MST

I still would go to Sears to grab something in their going out of business sale.
      January 13, 2017 9:28 PM MST

I've never been to a Sears store. I've been to Walmart, Kmart, Target, Sam's Club, Costco, Best buy, and Home Depot. And even though I've passed it for years and years, I have never, ever, been to a Sears. I do like online shopping tho. Except for clothes shopping. I have to try before I buy. 
      January 13, 2017 9:29 PM MST

Well, no need to go now. You missed the heyday :(
      January 13, 2017 9:39 PM MST

• Selling off the Craftsman line was a huge mistake IMO. Not sure there's anything else there I would have an interest in.
      January 13, 2017 9:46 PM MST

• I was kinda surprised they sold off Craftsman and Kenmore too.   I would have thought that was the only thing they had worth holding onto.
      January 13, 2017 9:50 PM MST

• You need to get a bit of perspective here, Glis. You clearly don't know the tale of the man in the pink suit. 

He turned up at his regular bar and his buddies howled with laughter at the sight of him wearing such a garment. He was embarrassed and, as husbands have been doing since Adam told God that it was all Eve's fault, he blamed his wife.

"It's her fault," he said. "I told her to go to Sears and buy me a seersucker suit ... and the fool of a woman went to Cox's." 
      January 13, 2017 10:55 PM MST

• Never did shop there but i like to browse the store when i go to the mall. its too expensive for my liking to buy anything. 
      January 13, 2017 11:03 PM MST

When my kids were young, I bought almost all of their clothes there, because they had a "if they wear them out before they grow out of them, we'll replace them free" policy. Especially handy when your kids are the same gender and very close in age!

I buy very little online. I still prefer to see and touch things in person.
      January 13, 2017 11:05 PM MST

• Yes, I sure do! I remember that huge catalogue they had! I would go through the toy section of the catalogue and just dream!!!
      January 14, 2017 5:49 AM MST

•   January 14, 2017 7:56 AM MST

• Dreams of that too! Lol!
      January 14, 2017 8:03 AM MST

• Just last year, I bought an LG washer and dryer from them and a new microwave as they beat everyone's prices and installed it all for free. It's still worth it to me as I never bought much crapsmen stuff anyway. Snap-On for me. 
      January 14, 2017 7:56 AM MST

• You're being hard on Craftsman.   They made decent  tools, a lot of gimmicky junk at the end, but the brand had a place.
    I buy a lot of Snap-on ( mostly their Blue-point line now) but some tools just aren't needed for the snap-on name.  My friend who buys $25 Snap-on hose picks being a prime example.  Snap-on even made some of there stuff for them. Danahar made many of Craftsman tools and they were the parent of Matco.
    I think it comes down to the particular tool and how often it's going to be put to the high challenge on what to pick.
    I mean we could go to the extreme and say Snap-on is crap when you compare them to a brand like  Knipex. Would be be right too.  Yet, $40 for a pair of channellocks?   Eeesh,  IDK.
    Snap-on makes some garbage themselves.  Just sayin'.

I needed a new sawzall and having used peoples newer Millwaukee sawzall it became apparent they have turned to chit since being bought out.  I found the Craftsman brand 10amp on a store closing clearance for $55.  I figured Craftsman  is made by the same conglom. as Milwaukee so was skeptical but for the price I had to take the shot.   After a year of use it became clear that conglom. was making a much better recip.saw for Sears than they are for the  Milwaukee name.
    Even Harbor Freight tools have a place.   A cheap socket J.I.C. socket set to keep on the boat  for spark plug changes and tightening hose clamps at $20  is a deal compared to high quality brands considering they will someday likely be at the river bottom. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 15, 2017 9:57 AM MST
      January 15, 2017 9:39 AM MST

I do remember when we had a Sears store nearby.
    It was awesome, they had everything.
    Didn't know they were going out of business.

January 14, 2017 9:37 AM MST

My parents bought everything there.  Much to my dismay, they also took us school clothes shopping there too.  In the early 70s, they did not have very much in style clothes for a skinny girl like me.  I wanted real jeans; the kind that flared and hugged what little hips I had.  LOL.

I do miss those big catalogs.  I would pour over those, hoping to find those perfect pair of cool blue jeans.  

. This post was edited by PeaPod is just popping by at January 15, 2017 9:59 AM MST
      January 15, 2017 9:50 AM MST

• They even sold Sears branded   boats and outboards  at one time. Granted they were made by Elgin, Evinrude, and MFG.  But still.

I even have an old 16ga. double-barrel  that is Sears branded. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 15, 2017 9:57 AM MST
      January 15, 2017 9:55 AM MST