Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » You have a wimpy GOP majority in both House and Senate. So who will there be to impeach Trump when the time comes? How will that work?

You have a wimpy GOP majority in both House and Senate. So who will there be to impeach Trump when the time comes? How will that work?

Posted - January 14, 2017

Responses

If he does something impeachable they will do it.
      January 14, 2017 8:55 AM MST

Hello my:

On January 20, if he DOESN'T divest, he will be guilty of violating the emolument clause.  His plan to turn the business over to the kids, doesn't stand constitutional muster..

WHO will bring charges is the bigger question..

Right now, the congress is cowed by Trump because he WILL destroy anybody who gets in his way..  However, AFTER the people take to the streets in numbers not seen since the 60's, the winds of political power will shift, and I BELIEVE he'll be impeached..

Trump COULD do right thing for America..  He COULD divest himself..  So what, if he looses a billion or two?? This is OUR country, after all.. He chooses not to..  He keeps saying that we KNEW who he was, and we elected him anyway.  Well, I say, no matter what WE knew, HE knew what the job entailed, and he ran anyway. 

It's going to be his undoing..

excon

PS>  The emoluments clause is pretty simple..  The president cannot receive a nickel from a foreign nation..  Clearly, SOME of the profits from his D.C. hotel WILL find its way into Trumps pocket, EVEN if his kids are running the show..  That's a violation, pure and simple..  Look..  Trump is getting BAD legal advice.  But, it's the advice he WANTS to hear, so who'll gonna tell him different???
    This post was edited by excon at January 14, 2017 9:42 AM MST
      January 14, 2017 9:16 AM MST

He is stepping down from the business. His sons will run it. He should not have to sell off his business because he was elected. 
    Did you expect Kerrys wife to sell (divest) Heinz? Would the White House be allowed to purchase Heinz products for cooking? 
    No one has ever been expected to dismantle their Lifes work because they became President.
      January 14, 2017 9:49 AM MST

Hello again, my:

I EXPECT my leaders to be conflict FREE.  That some WEREN'T in the past doesn't make me happy even if they're Democrats.  In any case, it isn't a reason to accept Trumps conflicts out of hand.. 

Look..  The reason Trump gives for NOT divesting is that he'll take a bath if he does..  From MY perspective, I think the COUNTRY is more important than Trumps business..  And, I'm NOT being heartless about it either...  IF his holdings are worth $10 billion and he LOOSES $2 billion in the fire sale, he'll STILL have $8 billion.. 

But, in truth, I think the sale of his assets will bring him a fortune...  After all, WHO in the world wants to make an enemy of Donald Trump??  You won't make friends with him if you take advantage of him during a fire sale..  You WILL make friends with him if you offer him WAY more than his property is worth..

Just sayin..

excon This post was edited by excon at January 16, 2017 7:49 AM MST
      January 16, 2017 7:45 AM MST

Nah. Not a problem. You apparently didn't read the entire clause. So lets look at what it says:

"No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State."

First, Congress may chose to give the President (or anyone else that the clause applies to) a pass. With a Republican Congress I should think it not too difficult to get that approval for a Republican President unless a direct conflict can be shown. (And no, Sheik Youbouti staying at a Trump hotel in DC for a couple of days probably doesn't qualify, even if he reserves the entire hotel at "market" rates.) In fact, divesting of assets may be a much bigger risk as the purchaser may be of foreign roots and Mr. Trump turns a profit from any such transactions.

But in the unlikely event Congress doesn't grant that Consent they would then have to worry about their own "investments". For example, if a Congressman owns stock directly, or as part of an old 401K plan in, say, Boeing then they would be in violation of that Clause if we follow your reasoning. After all, Boeing does business with and profits from many foreign countries. And by extension so does every stockholder. This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at July 22, 2018 4:19 PM MDT
      January 15, 2017 9:10 PM MST

Hello Red:

Impeachment is a partisan fight rather than a legal one.  If it were LEGAL, on day one Trump WILL be in violation of the Constitution..  The Republican congress won't have had time to pass a law giving him a pass..  Therefore, on day one, he's GUILTY..

The issue isn't whether the Democrats can impeach him...  They can't..  Only the Republicans can, and I think they will..  Although they're somewhat quiet about it, they actually HATE Russia just like I do..  They're not gonna cotton to much more Putin love..

Come on, Red..  You're an old right winger..  You can't LOVE Russia.  You certainly hated them before Trump came along..  

excon
      January 16, 2017 7:29 AM MST

• "Wimpy" is an opinion, please substantiate this claim. The guy hasn't even been in office yet there's an indictment against him for what he might do. I don't think there's precedent for that unless one lives in a sci-fi fantasy world.
      January 14, 2017 9:05 AM MST

Thank you for your response TE and Happy Saturday to thee. I completely, totally and absolutely disagree with every word you wrote. So what, right? Who the he** cares what you think or what I think?
      January 14, 2017 9:39 AM MST

• Welcome to the Minority Report world of democrats.
      January 14, 2017 1:29 PM MST

• Trump's next few years depend entirely on one thing - the Republican Party's reaction to how he behaves.  

I don't know if he'll be impeached, not because I think he'll do the legal thing, but because I doubt if many of his political 'allies' will want to adopt that route unless it is seen as a safe road for them to take.  In my experience, almost all politicians are overtly cautious when dealing with their own careers.

There is another option the cabinet could adopt, and the more I think about it and the more I consider Trump's behaviour, the more I begin to think it may be something the Republicans will think about, especially if they get desperate.  This option is the 25th amendment, which deals with physical or mental incapacity of a president.

If Trump does something beyond the pale (and I have no idea if he will, but given his record for unpredictability, you'd not bet against it), there may be a move against him under the 25th.  I'm not entirely sure of the process but I think anything over half the cabinet need to sign something to the effect that, 'Mr President is mad/ill/incapacitated' and give it to (I think) the house speaker?  There's some more hoops to jump through if I remember rightly, but if it's done then Pence is president and Trump can safely be left in a corner with some brightly coloured bits of string.

No great improvement if you ask me, though it would likely be better for a lot of people outside the US.  Not so good for many of those within it though.
      January 16, 2017 8:08 AM MST