Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Is texting changing the way we talk?

Is texting changing the way we talk?

The other day I was at a Game Stop store. A kid, well a kid to me, somewhere in his early twenties, asked the girl working there ,"is Jennifer working today? *curious*".
The girl turns to him, "No, she's off today. *sorry*"
So far so good. 
Then he said, "Oh, that's too bad,*depressed*". To which she responded with a, "im sorry. "Peace sign*. Yes, they actually said all those words.
Later on, I overheard my daughter while on the phone with one of her equally eloquent girlfriends, laughing and saying, "I know right, sad face!"
I wondered, Are we learning to communicate more effectively and logically, or are we just getting lazy and losing our ability to use language?

Posted - January 14, 2017

Responses

hahahaha
    that's really funny...hehe
      January 14, 2017 12:47 PM MST

• True story, really!
      January 14, 2017 12:53 PM MST

Hello Lago!  I really like this question.  

I don't know the answer but my opinion for a while has been that we are going to see language evolve completely into just grunts & emoticons.   Which I guess won't be such a bad thing when, as predicted,  the Apes finally take over.  

My only hope is that Charlton Heston won't be reincarnated when that time comes.  I just never liked the guy.
      January 14, 2017 12:54 PM MST

• I think eventually we would be more like machines as they become more.like us. It is kind of robot like the way this kind of talk sounds to me.
    Thanks for the great response Harry .
      January 14, 2017 2:34 PM MST

Hey...somebody needs to flip burgers and wash my car. Smiley face to you.
      January 14, 2017 12:54 PM MST

Not me.
      January 14, 2017 1:16 PM MST

• Love it, Lago. I haven't run across that but I've certainly noticed the way Facebook is impacting on how we do things. It seems no family social event is successful now unless you invite lots of "friends". And then, at Christmas, my daughter-in-law was sitting playing games opn her smartphone while the rest of us talked. Not a very succinct way of saying, "I'm bored. I want to go home." 
      January 14, 2017 1:25 PM MST

• Oh that's true. 
    I used to take the kids being disrespectful, which maybe I still do, when they would start texting while I was trying to talk to them. You're either here or there, kind a thing. But then I noticed that that's the way the do it with each other as they "spend time together" You know what I mean? 
      January 14, 2017 2:43 PM MST

• Unfortunately, yes I do. Tutti fan cosi: it's becoming the way of the world. 
      January 14, 2017 5:28 PM MST

•   January 14, 2017 1:41 PM MST

• I don't understand what that means , G
      January 14, 2017 3:32 PM MST

• Never seen the movie Idiocracy?
      January 14, 2017 4:15 PM MST

• Oh yeah yeah. I have watched it. It is scary how accurate a scenario that could be.
      January 14, 2017 6:31 PM MST

Maybe they were being *ironic*.
      January 14, 2017 1:45 PM MST

• True
      January 14, 2017 2:43 PM MST

LOL I have not seen this trend yet, but I'm sure it's coming. Hopefully it'll be short-lived. Teens always have language nuances they embrace and those generally dissipate with age. Could it be too different from "valley girl" talk- like, totally? We weathered that and I don't know any adults who speak like this today, even though it was the norm for teens 15-20 years ago. 
      January 14, 2017 2:14 PM MST

• I know what you mean. I see it as part of any language's evolution as it changes to accommodate it self with the times. I mean, we certainly don't talk as we did two hundred years ago. I do see that annoying "like-talk", everywhere. Good example.
      January 14, 2017 2:47 PM MST

seems like it
      January 15, 2017 9:30 PM MST

• So, instead of hieroglyphics, we are starting to evolve into using emoji cons? Sounds about right. *smiley face*
      January 15, 2017 9:35 PM MST

• That's my theory. 
    So if, something was to happen, and after a couple of thousands of years out civilization is buried and forgotten, that's what the new Rosetta Stone, or the new Dead Sea Scrolls would look like. A series of emojis and lols. Good point Karen. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 15, 2017 10:41 PM MST
      January 15, 2017 9:38 PM MST

• That's right on target. :)
      January 15, 2017 10:41 PM MST

•      "Sitting on the couch ... texting each other."
      January 15, 2017 9:46 PM MST

• That's the way it really is!!!
      January 15, 2017 10:43 PM MST

• I know.
      January 15, 2017 10:54 PM MST