Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » The left is out to boycott LL Bean, because someone donated to a republican PAC. Is this democracy?

The left is out to boycott LL Bean, because someone donated to a republican PAC. Is this democracy?

Or just another way the left squashes dissenting voices and freedom to disagree in order to move more towards one party rule?

Posted - January 14, 2017

Responses

• ...  now where shall we begin.. your estimation re the lefts and the power they have is... unrealistic.. it's not accurate..  Whether someone buys or doesn't buy goods has NOTHING to do with politics.. well not usually.. people are free to choose what they buy, when they buy.. Would you have everyone buy the goods BECAUSE they donated to the trumpet's campaign?? That's equally bad right.
     ....Most likely the goods of this person are sh*te so people dont want them.. and fwiw the omnipotent Trump telling, people yes telling people to buy the goods of someone just because they helped him is VERY unethical This post was edited by my2cents at January 17, 2017 5:49 AM MST
      January 14, 2017 1:48 PM MST

• Actually no, there are lots of companies on the list. The left tracks and keeps records of who donates what, and what companies they work for. Someone has the audacity to contribute to a republican (gasp) they're on the list. That isn't paranoia, I've seen the list. It's a hit list, pure and simple. That ain't freedom, it's bullying people for disagreeing.
      January 14, 2017 2:04 PM MST

• " The left tracks and keeps records of who donates what, and what companies they work for."

So does the right.

It is freedom.   It's called the assembling for the purpose of peaceful protest. This post was edited by my2cents at January 17, 2017 5:32 AM MST
      January 14, 2017 2:22 PM MST

• Oh, name calling, how quaint. Let me get the stick out of my eye and see if I can see the micro-point your making. Nope.
      January 14, 2017 2:30 PM MST

• Micro-point?   LMAO.

It's a cornerstone of liberty and a pillar of the Bill of Rights.
    You post this BS self-victimization and dare to call something a micro-point?

( pointing finger at you and laughing)
      January 14, 2017 2:35 PM MST

• I might disagree .. no argument with the last existing or its intent... my question is this... don't people have a right to make their buying decisions based on whom the vendor supports politically? ... i seem to remember trump making similar proposals during the campaign.
      January 14, 2017 3:28 PM MST

Hi Daydream.

Actually, LL Bean is a big company here.  They make quality goods.  
      January 14, 2017 2:34 PM MST

Do you want to boycott Planned Parenthood? Were you burning records with the PMRC? Censoring books?

Boycotts are part of democracy and your precious free market economy. I can choose to buy something for any reason I want. I can also tell other people why I'm not buying something. If they CHOOSE to follow me, then that's their freedom.

ALL PRAISE THE INVISIBLE HAND!
      January 14, 2017 1:52 PM MST

• There's a truckload of difference between a boycott of a company on principle (say because they wantonly disobey environmental laws), and because a person within the company has a different political view.
      January 14, 2017 2:08 PM MST

Political views are collections of "principles". Epic fail.

#EpicFail
      January 14, 2017 2:43 PM MST

• The definitive epic fail.
      January 15, 2017 11:10 AM MST

• That's exactly what freedom is.   People freely express an opinion and then experience consequences by people who disagree with them by those people   freely expressing theirs.

This is how it works with rights, liberty, and stuff. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 15, 2017 11:12 AM MST
      January 14, 2017 1:54 PM MST

• Additionally, when was the last time a boycott actually drove anything out of business? Especially something as large as LL Bean? It's largely symbolic and not an actual means of controlling the market anymore. 

Why aren't we calling out the Right for boycotting Crayola for being pro-LGBT and Target for allowing trans people to use the restrooms they want? I guess boycotts are okay when the Right encourage them, but "evil" when the Left does. 
      January 14, 2017 2:10 PM MST

• It's the same BS anytime there is a boycott. 
    People have so little understanding what the concept of Freedom of Speech actually means as a concept.
      January 14, 2017 2:13 PM MST

The Nazis boycotted the Jewish businesses to put them under.  
    Same thing different era. 
      January 14, 2017 1:55 PM MST

• People have to the freedom to boycott. You can't have it both ways. 
      January 14, 2017 2:03 PM MST

• Yes they do. The difference is between people deciding based on their own values, and a funded and organized effort against a company with staffers making hit lists after scouring contribution lists for no reason except they have a different opinion. When does that end?

• I pity and feel very sorry for people who voted Trump... does that mean I am part of the conspiracy theory and shock horror that I am a lefty? :P

• I think being easily manipulated by headlines is a dangerous thing no matter who are what it is. You can go back to the Russia-did-it--evidently--non-conspiracy theory now.
      January 14, 2017 2:21 PM MST

Conservatives called for boycotts of some of the largest businesses in Georgia over the failure to pass the Preservation of Religious Freedom Act. They also called for a boycott of Radio Shack a number of years ago for not using the word "Christmas" in their holiday radio ads. 

Both sides, in large and small groups, have boycotted companies/businesses since the formation of this country.  It doesn't matter whether it is over personal/religious beliefs, political, environmental, or any other differences.  This is a perfect example of how a democracy works.  Freedom of speech, freedom to worship how we please, ....   I don't think for a moment we will ever become a one party nation.  We have too many diverse opinions and thankfully, we are allowed to express all of them under this Democracy.  I am extremely grateful I don't live in Iran.

That being said, I think the boycott over LL Bean, just because one person made a contribution, is ridiculous and won't have any lasting effect on the business.  I like their stuff and I won't boycott it because someone in the company chose to support a Republican PAC.

But then again I'm not a lefty so.....

January 14, 2017 2:58 PM MST

The left are still upset about their loss, so they have to do nasty things like boycott for the wrong reasons, did they learn anything why they lost?
      January 14, 2017 3:11 PM MST

• What's a "right" reason to boycott and why is this a wrong reason?
      January 14, 2017 4:11 PM MST

The company did nothing wrong period. Lets boycott the Gov. checks the protesters get, which allow them to have too much free time on their hands.
      January 15, 2017 11:04 AM MST

• Non one said they are doing anything wrong.   Right or wrong has nothing to do with it.

You can't boycott the government,  there's nothing to boycott.   You can protest it though.   Yet when you are sniveling about some people voicing their opinion in a free and peaceful manner.   Don't cry when they snivel about you doing your protests.

You might not agree with their views, but they are only engaging the system by following the proper channels.
    Now try and answer the question. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 15, 2017 11:09 AM MST
      January 15, 2017 11:08 AM MST